News: Carlos Bocanegra signs with Rennes

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by walkingcity, Jun 20, 2008.

1. walkingcity

walkingcity Member

May 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://americansoccerreader.com/2008/06/20/bocanegra-signed-with-rennes/

"USA International defender Carlos Bocanegra has signed a three year deal with French side Rennes. Bocanegra joins Rennes after being released by Fulham last month, after spending four years with the London Club."

What do you guys think? I think its a good move, he'll be a guaranteed starter every week, and has the possibility to see some European action. They finished 6th last season in Ligue 1, so he moves to a competitive team, shouldn't have to worry about relegation.

2. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good move. I kind of like to see some guys play in the more "continental" or technical leagues: Spain, Italy, France, Portugal.

Less in England, Scotland, or Germany.

3. walkingcity

walkingcity Member

May 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, he'll get more playing time, and be exposed to a different style of play, and he's got a good shot of reaching Champions League or UEFA cup next season.

4. Hyuuga Neji

Hyuuga Neji Member

Nov 20, 2007
    The Bay Area
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shouldn't this be more like Yanks Abroad terrritory...?
    Or is this more of an analysis thread?

5. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very good landing spot for Carlos.

6. walkingcity

walkingcity Member

May 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well i figured it directly effects the USA nats, and I wanted to get everyones views on the move and its potential impact on Boca playing for the national team.

7. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if I were Boca, I'd ask to sit this Sunday. Why go turn an ankle on what will be a crappy pitch?

8. silverlion

silverlion Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great move, wish he done it a long time ago. Agree with the other posters that want more YA playing in leagues other than EPL and SPL, Germany is still pretty good. Good luck to him.

9. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good move, I guess...as long as he gets consistent PT!! But I would've preferred a EPL, Bundesliga or Erevdivise club!! Just not much of a fan of the French league!!

10. FW__

FW__ Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I don't think there was much chance of him moving to another EPL club since he wasn't exactly tearing it up at 17th place Fulham. France is a good league, not the EPL, Serie A, La Liga or the Bundesliga but if can play everyday for a decent side (which Rennes is) it's a good move.

11. PhillyQuakesFan

PhillyQuakesFan New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair I highly doubt we'll see any NT-caliber players playing in Scotland in the forseeable future unless it's for one of the Old Firm clubs.

12. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    It's about time we had a key guy in France. Hopefully there will be more. There are some guys in our pool who I think would benefit. (Though he may be out of decent European chances, Benny comes immediately to mind.) I'm definitely with some others in thinking that we've got enough guys in England and Germany, and a league like France (if not a superleague like La Liga) would be more beneficial to some of our guys.

13. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe a player like Beasley will get a shot with Rangers in the forseeable future. Oh wait...

14. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Reread what he wrote.

15. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Now Coach Bradley should trot out this lineup. ;)

Howard (England)
    Cherundolo (Germany)
    Onyewu (Belgium)
    Califf (Denmark)
    Bocanegra (France)
    Beasley (Scotland)
    Bradley (Netherlands)
    Szetela (Italy second div.)
    Donovan (United States)
    Adu (Portugal)
    Altidore (Spain)

Perkins (Norway)
    Orozco (Mexico)
    Mathis (Greece)
    Davies (Sweden)
    Jaqua (Austria)

All kidding aside, I've always enjoyed keeping track of all the leagues American players end up at.

16. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I think younger/developing players could benefit by playing on 2d. tier Scottish sides, whoever perenially finishes 3d & 4th. (Aberdeen?)

I mean, if Holden (or Edu?) could nail down a regular starting spot, would he be better off there? Get a season's worth of hardscrabble games against opponents who probably have a little more savy in the "gamesmanship" aspect of the game. And, 4 times a year, you get to play against a comparative Giant of a club.

And, do the Scottish clubs go to the Uefa Cup? Those would be good games for Holden.

And, I definately think that there is almost no Yank that wouldn't benefit from playing in the French league (if they got regular minutes). Maybe Cherundolo & Pearce are better off where they are. Howard is better off staying.

But, after them, who else wouldn't be better off?

Dempsey? He might be able to find a team in the French league where he's "the man" and he carries the team.

Bradley? French league is probably better top-to-bottom than the Eredivisie.

Beasley? I think his game would improve more in France.

Those are the only ones where I think it's close.

17. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After Rangers and Celtic, the Scottish teams aren't really any better than MLS. I don't know how much of a benefit that would be, unless they were in turn able to earn a transfer to one of the Big Two or down to England.

18. PhillyQuakesFan

PhillyQuakesFan New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, really the only reason to make the move would be if you're trying to use it as a stepping stone. Then again guys use the same justification for leaving MLS for the Scandinavian leagues, but off the top of my head I can't think of a single American player who's moved from MLS to Scandinavia to a big 4 league.

19. Brandinho

Brandinho Member

None
    United States
    Feb 22, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If a young prospect of ours goes to Rangers, I certainly wouldn't have a problem with it. I'm partial to them after what Gattuso became.

20. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They go to Scandanavia as a stepping stone that pays better than MLS for similar quality players.

Or maybe it's the women...

21. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Heath Pearce?

I'm not arguing for playing in Scandinavia. I'm just sayin' Heath Pearce played there & moved to Germany. (Is Germany "Big 4"?)

22. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Yep, I don't think Aberdeen, Hearts, or Hibs would necessarily win the Supporters Cup. My point is that if you went to Aberdeen, Hearts, or Hibs, (yes, those are the only non-OldFirm Scottish teams I can think of off the top of my head) you'd get to play against Rangers & Celtic four times a year. You're not going to face that quality in MLS. And, you'd have a shot at Uefa Cup play. Again, you'd be likely to face tougher-than-MLS competition.

And, I believe, but can't prove it, that the players in the Scottish league are better at cheating. Better at faking a foul, stalling, retaliating at the right time. It's part of the game and for a long time the MNT suffered for being poor cheaters. But, that's not my main point. My main point is that in non-OldFirm Scotland, you may not be playing on a better team (or worse), but you'd be facing tougher competition.

23. Hyuuga Neji

Hyuuga Neji Member

Nov 20, 2007
    The Bay Area
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised someone used Big 4... considering there is no consensus Big 4. Let's just stick to Big 3, guys.

24. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, you're the boss, so let's do that.

25. Hyuuga Neji

Hyuuga Neji Member

Nov 20, 2007
    The Bay Area
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright, you big internet tough guy, which leagues are the "big four"?