Carlo Ancelotti

Discussion in 'Bayern Munich' started by P to the Wee, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, he's been making the rounds at top Euro clubs over the past 10 years so a place at Bayern is no surprise. Believe it or not, I've always ranked him higher than Pep and looking forward to see what he can do, particularly in the CL.

Minttunator and Jolly Rancha repped this.
  2. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Pep should've wrote it in German;)

NUFCBayern repped this.
  3. Besic17

Besic17 Member+

Feb 24, 2015
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    https://mingablog.de/2016/07/17/klischee-massaker/

Spot on:

"Ancelotti ist ein cooler Typ, das ist doch keine Frage. Aber es ist nicht weniger anstrengend ständig und überall positiv behaftete Klischees über Carlo zu hören und zu lesen, als es anstrengend war dies mit negativ behafteten über Pep zu tun. Immerhin ist es nun erstmal positiv, was um Carlo gesponnen wird. Das wird uns zumindest ein bißchen mehr Ruhe verschaffen als es zuletzt der Fall war. Auch wenn weder das eine, noch das andere logisch begründbar war und ist.

Am Mittwoch treffen die beiden im direkten Duell aufeinander. Es wird wieder eine Menge Zlatan zitiert werden und am Ende werden wir alle mit Carlo kuscheln und Pep ein Hausmittelchen gegen Hyperaktivität empfehlen wollen. Man wird damit menschlich und fachlich weder Ancelotti, noch Guardiola, noch sich selbst als Sportberichterstatter gerecht, wenn man wieder in diese altbekannten und durchgekauten Hörner bläst. Jeder weiß das oder sollte es zumindest wissen. Die Uhr danach stellen dass es passieren wird können wir alle trotzdem."

Minttunator and Matakos repped this.
  4. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just wait for Carlo's first mistake, then the honeymoon will quickly be over

Minttunator and Matakos repped this.
  5. _Amy_

_Amy_ Member

Aug 28, 2011
    France
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What does it say?

6. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Pep failed to make the final 3 years in a row when the previous coach made it both years winning one and being unlucky as hell to win the other. He had his ass kissed by the media for almost the entirety of the first year and then the media turns on him like they have with every Bayern coach that's ever been here. Lets not try to make it seem like it's anything different.

Media turning on Carlo is just a Tuesday once you get this kind of job, along with with the other 4-5 biggest clubs in Europe.

7. Matakos

Matakos Member+

May 18, 2009
    Macedonia, Greece
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
  8. _Amy_

_Amy_ Member

Aug 28, 2011
    France
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    True. It's pretty much like a report submitted at midnight because of deadline, and because your boss asked you to do it. Still better than nothing though, summer is very boring football-wise :)

Matakos repped this.
  9. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Often these kinds of IVs are heavily controlled

There are not that many managers who realise they need to throw the media a bone to generate any content for the audience. So what you end up with is just corporate blah

10. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Be interesting to see to what extent he plays the game.

The big industry criticism of Pep was his failure to engage with the german media.

Carlo is a pretty safe pair of hands - so we might expect little actual content from him but more "blah blah sit downs".

11. _Amy_

_Amy_ Member

Aug 28, 2011
    France
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If Carlo Ancelotti feels any pressure at Bayern Munich, he’s not showing it

[​IMG]
    Carlo Ancelotti is in his first season coaching German power Bayern Munich after a decorated career across Europe. (Christof Stache/Agence France-Presse via Getty Images)

No coach has had more success in the word’s most prestigious club soccer competition than Carlo Ancelotti. Yet of the three high-profile European coaches starting new jobs this season, more attention has been paid to the arrivals in the Premier League of Pep Guardiola at Manchester City and Jose Mourinho at Manchester United. On top of that, Ancelotti has returned from a year’s sabbatical to a post that gives him little room for error: in charge of German powerhouse Bayern Munich, where a domestic championship is expected as the minimum and Champions League success is demanded.

Not that any of it seems to bother Ancelotti. “I love being in this world,” he said with a grin as he sat down for an interview after a morning training session last month.

Bayern, winner of the past four Bundesliga titles and defeated semifinalist in the past three Champions Leagues, moved on from Guardiola at the end of last season and needed someone capable of maintaining its domestic dominance while adding the finishing touch in Europe. Ancelotti, the only manager to win Europe’s top prize three times in the Champions League era — with AC Milan in 2003 and 2007 and Real Madrid two years ago — looked the perfect fit. He will begin his quest in earnest on Friday when Bayen opens its Bundesliga season at home against Werder Bremen.

While the task requires less radical change than the overhauls United and City are beginning, Bayern presents its own challenge of massive expectations. Ancelotti smiled, though, when it was suggested that he now faces, yet again, a year of intense pressure.

“Pressure has never been a problem for me. I love my job so much that pressure is normal. I try to enjoy my time in football,” he said.

While players and coaches routinely talk down the stresses placed on them, in the case of Ancelotti the sentiment appears genuine. As calm and relaxed on the bench as he is away from the field, the Italian rarely appears agitated. His serenity is all the more remarkable given the environments in which Ancelotti, 57, has worked and the club owners he has had to deal with throughout his career.

At AC Milan he had Silvio Berlusconi, the charismatic and always demanding Italian businessman and former prime minister, opining on his work in the media every week. At Real Madrid, it was the trigger-happy club President Florentino Perez, ever rumored to be on the brink of firing his coach.

Ancelotti had to deal with the much quieter, but no less controlling, presence of Russian oligarch Roman Abramovich at Chelsea, another owner not known for patience. At Paris Saint-Germain, Nasser Al-Khelaifi, whose Qatar Sports Investments has dropped millions in the French club, wanted European success sooner rather than later.

Despite the personality of those clubs’ owners leading the media to constantly speculate about his job security, Ancelotti has a starkly realistic view of his profession.

“To be sacked is part of my job, part of the job of being a manager. Sometimes the club is not happy and they want to change and they have that right. This doesn’t affect me negatively. In Madrid, every week was like that,” he said.

“Maybe other coaches are more afraid, more worried about this, but for me, no, I am really focused on my team. When the team doesn’t play well, then I feel pressure because I want to do something different to change. Maybe if the team is not fit enough, not playing together, there I have pressure. But it is pressure I bring on myself.”

Bayern is somewhat different. The club has no billionaire owner and is effectively run by a board made up of former players and the heads of several leading German corporations. The chairman of the board is former West Germany and Bayern striker Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, a two-time European player of the year. Ancelotti is clearly looking forward to working with someone from within his world.

“This is a new experience for me because my chairman was a fantastic player. He knows everything about football, he knows the situation. For him, there is nothing new, for this reason it will be a new experience and better experience,” Ancelotti said. “I don’t have to explain to Rummenigge how the team works, because he knows everything. It was a little bit different with other presidents. He knows this world really well.”

That relationship should allow Ancelotti some welcome flexibility when it comes to tactics and style of play. While Guardiola and Mourinho are both known for their trademark systems and approaches — the Spaniard is almost ideological about possession football and Mourinho is a devotee of strong defense and counterattack — Ancelotti has always been a pragmatist and believes too much emphasis is given to formations.

“I think there is no winning system,” he said. “You have to be like a tailor — you make a suit with the quality of the material that you have. The quality of the players is the most important thing. You have to build a system where the players are comfortable and where they are convinced to play that way. I can’t give the players a way to play if they are not convinced of it because they will go on the pitch and they will not be comfortable. This is my style.”

It is a philosophy, he says, that has not changed since he began coaching in Italy’s Serie B with Reggiana in 1995, long before he had the need to learn English, Spanish, French and German.

“I haven’t changed my style. I have changed a lot of things, the methodology of training that I changed a lot. The style of play I change depending on the characteristic of the players. But my style, my approach to the relationship with the players, I haven’t changed,” he said. “I have my character, good or bad I don’t know, but I want to show my character in my relationship with people.”

Perhaps because he has always coached players with a strong core of on-field and locker-room leaders, from Paolo Maldini at AC Milan to John Terry at Chelsea and Xabi Alonso at Real, who is now with him again with Bayern, Ancelotti is a firm believer in involving players in discussions about the team’s approach.

“It is important that the players are comfortable and they can give their own ideas about how to improve that system. Of course you have to take into consideration the history, the tradition of the club. You can’t play a defensive style in Munich or in Madrid because the history of the club is to play attacking football,” he said.

Borussia Dortmund is expected to be the only serious challenger to Bayern on the home front while in Europe, Ancelotti faces familiar foes in the big Spanish clubs, his former club Paris Saint-Germain and the Premier League challengers.

Spanish clubs have won the last three Champions Leagues, with two of the finals being all-Madrid affairs featuring Real and Atletico, but Ancelotti is quick to point out that the last non-Spanish team to win the competition was Bayern in 2013.

Even if he doesn’t feel the pressure, Ancelotti knows that, as with Mourinho and Guardiola, the price of being part of the top tier of elite coaches is that the demands are for instant success. But, typically, he says he isn’t going to let expectations enter his thinking.

“It is not an obsession that we have to win. We have the possibility to win,” Ancelotti said. “The squad is really good, the club is really well organised, we have everything set up to do our best — but after that, well, there are so many factors. Winning is not easy.”

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...pressure-at-bayern-munich-hes-not-showing-it/

12. _Amy_

_Amy_ Member

Aug 28, 2011
    France
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #213 _Amy_, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  13. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    There is no pressure when you are a winner.

14. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München

15. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    that was my prediction anyways.

16. jeremygl09

jeremygl09 Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Prediction: When a team finally scores against us (not even a loss), the Fire Anchelotti threads will begin.

17. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    the "I miss Heynckes" will begin again as well

18. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Carlo's Bayern sure is channeling Heynckes. Dominate possession and pump in tons of crosses.

19. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    + effective counter attacking.

PureEvil, EmersonRW, FCB_KVB and 3 others repped this.
  20. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Corner kicks and dead balls now mean something not just a way to recycle possession

EmersonRW repped this.
  21. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I miss out our possession football.

22. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Let's face it. The decisive games will be played in March, April and hopefully May of 2017. Nobody bothers to mention Guardiola's historic Bundesliga start record when they talk about his legacy at Bayern. Neither will Carlo's great start help him should we crash out in the round of sixteen.

23. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Completely agree. This is more of getting the team used to the coach and vice-versa. That doesn't mean we can't enjoy the journey until the latter 1/3rd of the season though, we certainly enjoyed it during Pep's time here as well.

24. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Kimmich looks like a real bonus for you guys?

He is performing way ahead of where I thought he'd be by now

Love his style

Boandlkramer repped this.