Carlitos Vela ---> LAFC

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Rahbiefowlah, Aug 8, 2017.

1. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Very class act!. Really.. too long to translate but nothing but praise to Vela and MLS.

Edit: He actually says that LigaMX might learn a couple of things from MLS in order to grow more.

Zoidberg repped this.
  2. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    wow. desahogo.

more of a tirade in favor of seeing the positive in things, but very very emphatic and passionate about the concept of going where you want to go, regardless of what others think you should do

Zoidberg repped this.
  3. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fans of the American national team want to be better than Mexico, because that's how rivalries work. But in a weak confederation like ours, we badly need other good teams. The list of nations that have the combination of population, interest, and finances to do it is painfully thin; right now it's the US and Mexico as the top tier, Costa Rica half a step back, and six or eight also-ran teams.

Off the field, the national federations are more often partners than opponents. And having two or three El Tri regulars in Los Angeles is good for business; I wouldn't be surprised if there were more Mexican or Mexican-Americans in Los Angeles than in any Mexican city that isn't Mexico City, and keeping them connected with players on the national team isn't a bad thing. Opinions at LMX will be more mixed, but plenty of MLS development has benefitted them, too; it's easier than ever to find American talent, and there's a larger American audience for LMX than ever... and not all of it is Mexican, Mexican-American, or even Hispanic.

Kejsare, Burr and Zoidberg repped this.
  4. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Brooks Peck one of those joke writers, pretty sure you just fell for it...

chrayatl repped this.
  5. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    I would also like to comment on Chicarito. The more he speaks...the more respect I have for him as a person. He defends his mates and their decisions intelligently (his defense of Vela is well done), he doesn't cater to the worst aspects of the fan base, and he doesn't seem to go along with the flow...because it's always been that way. Looks to be his own man, with a broad perspective and a refreshing change from most Mexican players of the past. Then again, this generation is very, very different than what past attitudes were. Is it going to Europe and leaving the LigaMX bubble, the closer relationship fostered by the US/Mex feds, the familiarity of their US counterparts, the opps MLS can present them, etc...or all of the above.

For me it's great to see, and I'm sure we will see him in MLS soon, and I can't wait. Hope we see Guardado soon...another guy I love. I have also noticed that more and more players eschew, or take subtle shots at the Mex press, and the environment it creates. It seems quite a few are happy to be free of it full time.

Burr repped this.
  6. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    LOL...I saw that this AM and never checked the full thread. It's great stuff. Sounds like a great teammate and guy in general.

7. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    .....and I think a lot of this is a subtle shot at parts of the fanbase and the media.

Even if that wasn't his main intention, that's really what it is.

Off course we have our own Euro posers to take shots at, but the glare down there is monstrous compared to the little kids, and clowns we deal with here.

RafaLarios repped this.
  8. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm looking forward to seeing Vela. Another talented, exciting player coming over from abroad.