Carlital Oneabao Cup - Liverpool v. The Arsenal, Wednesday October 30 2019 1930 GMT

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by mebeSajid, Oct 29, 2019.

1. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

I'm glad teams are starting to stand up against all of this bs scheduling stuff

2. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's one thing to say you'll withdraw, but I'm curious what the FA will do in response, should Liverpool actually follow thru.

A move like that could hurt the League Cup to the extent that it may cease to exist in a few years, or sooner. Is the FA gonna let that happen? Are they gonna let big clubs dictate the schedule just to stay relevant?

It's an interesting storyline

3. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is the new TH14. And I told you so too. Wanker!

Shen-O, thebigman and fari repped this.
  4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WHOA, what a fvcking game!

I just finished watching it because I was on a plane late last night. Watched 1T in the airport and felt pretty good about things, but then 2T didn't disappoint to say the least.

Sure I wanted us to win, but when it goes to PK's you know it's anybody's lottery. But I had a premonition when I saw Dani come up for our 4th kick that it wasn't going to go well. And sure enough... :(

Once I catch my breath I may have more thoughts/comments, but I have to say this...

I come away with A LOT more positivity than virtually any match we've played this year, especially compared to our league matches.

Val1 repped this.
  5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I paused my watching of this match, at HT, we were clearly the better team. More up for it. Seemed to want it more. High-pressed them and challenged every 50/50 ball, even Mesut at times. Hallelujah on all fronts!

In addition to Ozil, who had a big hand in 3 or more of our goals, other players who were really on it: Torreira, Martinella, and AMN. They all got on the score sheet, but Ainsley really showed so much endeavor... totally deserving to bag our 4th goal.

And Saka... a little rough around the edges but really looks a bright star in the making.

Even Mustafi was good I thought. I'll discount his OG because that could've happened to any defender, even the best. And early in 2T he had a scary incident with Brewster who had run onto a throughball. Shkodran had to turn and it looked like he was going to let his man outsprint him to a 1-on-1 with our GK. Except that he then shouldered the youngster off the ball quite adeptly & carefully, i.e. no foul.

Many of our goals were scored on turnovers. SEE WHAT CAN HAPPEN when you PRESSURIZE the opponent?! Especially an inexperienced one? We induced then pounced on their mistakes.

And we DIDN'T SIT BACK on our leads!!! (OK only after about 80' did we start to do that... and ultimately succumbed to a last minute equalizer) A 5-5 match like this makes it so clear that our defenders are not good enough to do that.

We did very little back-passing and Martinez wasn't playing it out of the back... he was often punting it up field.

So why oh why can't we play like the above in the league???! It looked a whole lot more successful than what we've been doing. And even if it's not, it's surely more enjoyable to watch. A LOT more.

The only negatives that come to mind from this match: We let in 5 goals. Holding looks a bit rusty. Bellerin looks a step slower than before, however he made a game saving tackle in the last second of the match. I wasn't upset he took of MO & LT... for all I know he's rotating them for possible use in our next match.

Anyway... What a game! What an atmosphere! (why a trip to Anfield away is on my bucket list) Quality stuff! OK, not in defense, but otherwise, absolutely.

Romfordray repped this.
  6. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Someone want to create a new thread?

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If nobody else wants to, I can do it this afternoon

8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Any CB worth his salt stays on his feet when that cross comes in. It happened to him because he decided to launch himself uncontrollably towards the ball

yossarian repped this.
  10. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. His default is to go to ground. You can get away with it (sort of) if you're an outside back. But a CB should be going to ground as a last resort not as a first option.

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been mighty critical of Mustafi in the past year or so, and wanted him gone this summer. But I still don't think what he did on that own goal was egregious.

He was running at pace and stretched his leg out to try to intercept a hard low cross. It was NOT one of his classic going-to-ground lapses. He was on his feet, at full stride. It was more just bad luck that his foot made only glancing contact with the ball instead of a full on block.

And I stand by my position that this kind of thing could happen to anyone, and in fact does happen to virtually every defender. And that this was not a poor game by Mustafi's previous standards. Which was my main point. I.e. trying to give the guy a little credit where it was due.

12. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    He did go to ground, but I agree with you that it was not one of his classic going to ground lapses. I'm not sure he could have gotten to the ball if he stayed on his feet. If not, he has to go to ground because the Liverpool player was right behind him.

13. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. Just watched it again. I disagree with everything you say other than he had a halfway decent match, other than the OG, by his standards.

14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wrong. He wasn't totally on his feet when he made contact. One knee was on the ground.

But we seem to agree that it wasn't a bad judgment play like his numerous lunging/sliding tackles from the past.

It was just bad luck that he didn't make proper contact to keep it away from the goal.

15. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imagine scoring 5 goals away from home....

.....and still losing.

Raus.