Carl Valeri at Ternana[R]

Discussion in 'Aussies Abroad' started by tfoz, Sep 13, 2007.

1. tfoz

tfoz Member

Jun 3, 2005
    We really need to get some updates on this guy in Serie B. He's a very promising CDM and could be important for 2010. Anyone got anything?

2. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Re: Carl Valeri at Grosseto [R]

Found this from Serie B Round 2
    http://www.ausitalia.com/index.php?...39&PHPSESSID=a8d0c5f5196d06c1b7eac298d4f8db80

Not much help or description though.

He didnt play in week 3 as he was down here, but Grosseto lost away 2-1 and are sitting dead last on the Serie B table on 0 points and -5 goal difference after 3 games.

3. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia

Any more updates on Australia's Defensive Midfielder in waiting?

4. oztrainspotter

oztrainspotter New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    adelaide

''Schermo di centrocampo, lotta accanitamente su tutti i palloni, ma alla distanza risulta troppo impreciso.''
    This is what is written in an italian news article. In the draw v messina recetnly. (Long balls were sketchy, i think)

here's the link. http://www.usgrosseto.com/notizie/anmviewer.asp?a=1893&z=1
    reckon there's any point in asking these clubs (also brondby, turkish clubs), to pay someone some corrupt money to translate these pages into english?

5. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Good report on 'Mini Vinnie' :)

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/aussies-abroad/valeri-working-his-way-up-117938/

6. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Recent article on him......

http://www.smh.com.au/news/football...ng-to-tag-along/2008/06/10/1212863644418.html

7. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia

I'm getting kind of sick (From the Media) of the first, labelling him 'Mini-Vinnie' - sure, it's cute and kind of apt, for a LITTLE WHILE. He's been arund the Senior NT set up since 06. In the recent few matches, he's played a couple matches alongside Vinnie. So he's hardly even the 'official back up' anymore, he's more an 'official starter.'

And secondly this associated talk or more suggestion of him being an 'up and coming player' like akin to one of the Olyroos. He's now 24 and any player older than Olyroo age range should be considered by all intents and purposes a senior player. He played regular Serie B last year. Sure that's not Serie A and he could yet reach Serie A, but that in itself shows where the player is at.

Vinnie has not been that hot, Mr Invicible, since his Asian Cup display. So since then, it's been demonstrated that Grella's place in the team should be no means be guaranteed. And I think, despite Grella having played fairly regular Serie A and his valuable exp with the team, that given the emphasise on fitness etc... Valeri should be a serious option in some of these away games, of just supplanting Grella in the DM position altogether. So that is, putting reputations/status, egos aside, I think Valeri replacing Grella, for some games, should be seriously considered now. I think Valeri is a very viable option and has enough NT experience himself now.

I'm not being specific, given how we utilise different tactics, 2 DMs at times, but I seriously think, especially as Grella is on yellow cards and at times hasn't always displayed best form, that just replacing Valeri with Grella for a couple matches, should be considered.

8. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

I think Valeri is probably playing better than Grella now anyway.

9. oztrainspotter

Aug 19, 2007
    adelaide

Agreed. Lose the mini-vinnie tag until vinnie retires. Then it's more nostalgiac than desparaging or derogatory. Valeri for regular starting spot.

10. Akumastarr

Akumastarr New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Anyone reckon this man is capable of securing a starting place at a Serie A club?

I haven't seen him much in club level but he has been pretty good when he played for us. Watching the Qatar game, it was till after it that I remembered Grella wasn't playing.

11. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia

For sure, it's just about more exposure for him at both NT and club level, but surely he's starting to get that now at NT level atleast, with his recent increased presence in the NT.

It's only a matter of time now. But if/when he does make it, I'd think it would be with more modest lower or mid level Serie A clubs, similar to how Bresc and Grella were with Empoli and then the 'past its better days' Parma. So even though he came through Inter's Youth System and was co owned by them till very recently, I don't we'll see him featuring for the Big 4 or 5 Italian Clubs (That is; Milan, Inter, Juve, Roma and Fiorentina, I guess).

The fact is, he's 24 now and it's only been in the recent 18 months to 2 years, that he's managed to break into regular first team football, at a decent level (Serie B). When they were at 24, Grella and Bresc were already in Serie A and regular first teamers there, and were playing regular first team at Serie B level with Empoli around 20-21 years of age (One could argue, where Valeri is at now).

He was stuck in Inter's Youth Team and Serie C for a fair while, till he was 21 or so, probably a bit too long to show he's of quite the same level as the boys formerly of Empoli. But hat's not to diss him or suggest he still won't be almost as successful. But he's already hitting his prime, in the next few years, so needs to do it soon, playing elite football, be in in Serie A, Netherlands, Germany, Spain, England, who knows? Let's hope he does, soon.

Serie B isn't enough to be a regular Socceroos starter, even if you are considered one of the younger players. Which he is now, not - in terms that he's now over Olyroos age, being 24, and has had his time in Athens. He's long progressed the Youth side of our NTs. He's no baby or 'mini,' anymore.

12. oztrainspotter

Aug 19, 2007
    adelaide

He is captain of grosetto atm. He will probably stay one more year there then go elsewhere. Grosetto are gunning for promotion next year buying some players.

13. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/aussies-abroad/valeri-wont-demand-move-127109/

14. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Good to see the guy is loyal, but i'd like to see him move up to Serie A.

15. epris

epris Member

May 20, 2007
    Sydney

He will eventually I think. He's shown for us he's consistent, runs back and cleans up well, and seems to have a very cool head compared to Grella IMO.

Good to know that serie A clubs are knocking at the door, but the best thing he can do for his career is not get caught up in any transfer saga kinda like bresciano did, because look what has happened to him.:(

16. ace_helicopter

ace_helicopter New Member

Apr 29, 2007

Valeri has trialed at Serie B team Livorno (relegated from Serie A last season) and they want him. They have offered 1.2 million Euros which Valeri's club Grossetto have rejected.

Looks like he will stay at Grosseto for at least until January

17. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Any news about how Valeri is travelling??

18. oztrainspotter

Aug 19, 2007
    adelaide

Funny. I was just yesterday curious about his progress with grosseto, so i joined the grosetto forum. I posted a topic called promotion and wrote this

Hi everyone. Sorry about my english. Hopefully you can help me out. I'm just doing some research on Carl Valeri, we are starved of any media in Australia relating to how he is going. I see you guys are pressing for promotion this year. Is this a realistic goal at this stage? How more generally is Valeri goin? is he well liked by management etc?

Good luck for the rest of the season - get promotion.

I support this club

adelaideunited.com.au

the owner is Nick Bianco and the General MAnager is Matthew Rossi. Biancorossi - Ha!

Anyway i haven't had any replys despite almost 40 views.. so i have a feeling no english speakers have read it. Maybe if someone on here can speak italian you could join up and post a new topic - or you could just PM me with the topic typed out in italian and i'll repost it (just so you have to go through the rigmarole of joining the forum.

19. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique

Here mate,

Ciao a tutti. Ci scusiamo per il mio italiano. Speriamo che voi mi può aiutare. Sto solo facendo qualche ricerca su Carl Valeri, siamo alla fame di ogni mezzo in Australia in materia di come sta andando. I see you guys are premendo per la promozione di quest'anno. E 'questo un obiettivo realistico in questa fase? Come, più in generale, è Valeri goin? egli è ben voluto dalla direzione aziendale, ecc?​

Buona fortuna per il resto della stagione - ottenere la promozione.

Sostengo questo club:
    adelaideunited.com.au

il proprietario è Nick Bianco e il Direttore Generale è Matteo Rossi. Biancorossi - Ah!​

20. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  21. Loyalty

Loyalty Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Australia

I followed him in patches, as i figured he is our next Mini Vinnie DM type player.

Just from the last few months:

He is captain of Grossetto who were leading the Serie B until the week before the XMas off season where they were beaten 4-0 by some low team. Since then they have been struggling a bit and slipped to around 7th last time i saw. Not sure what happened to the team as such, but there is not much between the top half dozen teams in that comp.

22. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Cheers for the update [​IMG]

23. oztrainspotter

Aug 19, 2007
    adelaide

Cheers for helping out:). A bit broken though; although i particularly like "I see you guys are premando per la promozione di quest'anno'. I'm gonna ask someone who is fluent and will get back to forum

24. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Is this good or bad news??

http://www.tribalfootball.com/cagliari-bid-grossetos-aussie-valeri-251958

25. el-capitano