Review: Caribbean Nations Cup 2010

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by 13370, Sep 18, 2009.

1. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It seems the Bahamas have dropped out. I feel for Montserrat too, in a group with Dominica and the Dominican Republic they may have been able to compete but with SKN, SVG, and Barbados it would be a long shot.

2. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the hell? :mad:

I guess the adjustments had something to do with hosting issues in Guadeloupe - in any case, they're no longer hosting a qualifying round - but leaving the 2nd-placer aside, Haiti just went from possibly having a group with Guadeloupe and the Dominican Republic to having one with T&T and Guyana/Suriname.

Oh well - as much as it frustrates me that Haiti's only ever played 45 minutes of good soccer under Jairo Rios (the second half against the US in last year's Gold Cup), we'll need some sort of consistency/stability so that at least we play to our potential, unlike in the last World Cup.

3. 13370

13370 Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    :mad:

I knew something was wrong with the first Fixtures , that's , trinidad not hosting a qualifying group . Too bad they cant change ja automatic
    third round status .

4. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Final stage in Martinique :

Nov 26 - Dec 5

Group H

Martinique
    Winner F
    Runner up G
    Runner up E

Group I

Jamaica
    Winner G
    Winner E
    Runner-up F

5. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now the new October-December schedule has been confirmed by Concacaf.

IMO, the big winners from the changes are Grenada, because they no longer have to face a trickly qualifying group with Trinidad and Tobago (and a host team looking for revenge for the last Caribbean Cup); and Puerto Rico - the next few months are going to be great for their soccer, what with the Islanders getting three more Champions League home games and the national team getting to host a qualifying group. Meanwhile, Montserrat (as theworm2345 mentioned) and Haiti are going to have a much more difficult road to get to Martinique.

6. 13370

13370 Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I just wanna highlight some facts about Third Round Host Martinique .
    Martinique was the first non anglophone country to won the Caribbean Cup when they did so in Kingston Jamaica in 1993 they are also the first non anglophone country to host the event in 2010. It's a great honor for the Birth place of, Marie Joseph Rose Tascher de la Pagerie AKA Empress Josephine to host Digicel Caribbean Championship 2010. :cool:

7. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...eh, in the best interests of keeping this thread on topic, I'll leave the politics aside other than to mention that Empress Josphine's legacy could be considered controversial.

About Martinique, though, since I wasn't really into soccer back when they made their Gold Cup appearances: do they appear with the French flag and anthem on gameday, or do they get to bring in their blue-and-white one?

8. 13370

13370 Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    thanks for leaving out the politics , regarding your question , La Marseillaise was played in Kingston 1993 at the final game but
    I do not remember which flag was used .

9. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    PORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad - St. Vincent and the Grenadines will play host to first-round Group B in the Digicel Caribbean Cup, facing Barbdos, Montserrat and St. Kitts and Nevis starting October 6, the Caribbean Football Union announced Wednesday.

Group B, which will be played in Victoria Park in Kingstown, had been the only first-round group without a venue or dates when the schedule was revamped on August 12.

In addition, Group A will begin four days earlier than previously schedule on October 2, and end on October 6. The change was required due to "several complications related to a congested event schedule in the region both sport and culturally related," said CFU General Secretary Angenie Kanhai.

Groups C and D remain unchanged.

http://www.concacaf.com/page/GoldCup/NewsDetail/0,,12813~2134820,00.html

10. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a question for any Trinis/Tobagonians/anyone knowledgeable about Trinidad and Tobago: is there any place where they would be streaming games from their qualifying group? Because I know that there's a chance I can catch Haiti's games on TNH (Television National d'Haiti) on JumpTV, assuming that channel is still up and running, but I just wanted to see if there's a more reliable source.

11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, qualifying for the Caribbean Cup begins this Saturday...anyone know if futbolboricua.net's "TV" will be showing the Puerto Rico-Anguilla game?

13. leeka

leeka Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Bayamón PR
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    I'm excited, only 2 days left to start the Caribbean Cup.

14. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I'd be interested to watch these games if they are indeed televised.

15. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...so, they're not streaming it anywhere? :confused:

I looked on futbolboricua.net, but their FBTV is stuck with a replay of an Islanders game.

16. leeka

leeka Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Bayamón PR
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Saint-Martin 1 - 1 Cayman Islands final.
    Puerto Rico 2 - 0 Anguila 1st half.

17. Milyc

Milyc Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No live feeds anywhere? What a shame.

18. leeka

leeka Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Bayamón PR
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico 3 - 1 Anguila final.

19. DaSage

DaSage New Member

Oct 27, 2008
    San Juan Puerto Rico
    yeah sorry guys... the Federation in PUR... sucked big time and did not help me get in contact with the Digicel. I talked to them tonight and we're working out a deal to be able to transmit the games live for your viewing pleasure. Thanks so much for your interest :)

Here's a link to the press conference video I filmed after the game.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppmvTuRyA6Y"]YouTube - Conferencia de Prensa PUR v. Anguila.wmv[/ame]

20. BoriQa

BoriQa New Member

May 26, 2007
    Ajax, Canada
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaheQ0qN4PA"]YouTube - Copa Digicel 2010: Puerto Rico 3-1 Anguila 10-2-10[/ame]

21. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Field looked atrocious.

22. DaSage

DaSage New Member

Oct 27, 2008
    San Juan Puerto Rico
    It had been raining all afternoon... the original match between Cayman Islands and St. Martin had to be delayed to 7. The PR/Anguila match started right after the first one ended...

23. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Oh it hosted two games. Didn't know that.

24. ScouseBill

ScouseBill New Member

Oct 3, 2006
    I don't suppose anybody could post any line ups for the matches with their clubs if possible....:rolleyes: