Careers Involving Game Theory?

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by EvanJ, Feb 13, 2011.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody use game theory in his or her job? I have a Bachelor of Arts in Economics and a minor in Political Science from Hofstra University. I have had the same low-paying part time job that doesn't use what I learned in college for about three years. I'm not in a hurry to leave my current job and actually have a reason why I would like to keep it through June 2012, but eventually I would like a higher salary. I know some introductory statistics and calculus and given a textbook I could reteach myself some of what I learned and forgot. I would like a career that uses numbers but not an accountant. How easy is game theory to learn? Has anybody gotten a degree entirely online that included a significant amount of game theory? I don't want a Doctorate degree because I don't want to write a giant paper.

2. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    I use game theory in designing algorithms.

3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just ordered Game Theory and the Law by Douglas Baird, Robert Gertner, and Randal Picker. Has anybody read that book?

4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody have a link to an American college or university that offers one or two courses in game theory entirely online without requiring the student to be pursuing a degree? I would consider both undergraduate and graduate classes.

5. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It isn't the kind of subject that lends itself easily to online options. There is a not insignificant start-up cost associated with building an online course, and this usually means the schools is looking with an eye to how many people will take that course. There's lots of UD coursework that doesn't get the online treatment because of this.