Cardiff City vs Liverpool FC - EPL - Apr 21 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Busy this morning, didn't get to watch any soccer. But see the score, and YAHHHHHH!!!

This year is the best year for Liverpool to get this trophy. Let just hope City continue their nervous and drop points, zero hope for United, but I still have hope for Leicaster to get something out of them.

Next year VAR still step in, it will be harder for any club to win, City included.

2. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    just read a comment saying the guys tried to sexually assault Salah - a real #MoToo moment. :)

usscouse repped this.
  3. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Chris Sutton on BBC Radio 5 Live! said it was as brainless defending as you are likely to get. Penalty in his book.

usscouse and newterp repped this.
  4. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I loved seeing how much that goal meant to George.

5. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    we need to hand a beat down on someone before the season ends

6. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Barca?

7. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Off his knee.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  8. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Good win. On the downside, looks like someone other than ManU will have to do us a favour ......

9. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    • Liverpool have now amassed 88 points in the league this season, their best total in a Premier League season; adjusting to three points for a win, they have only earned more in a top-flight campaign in 1978-79 (98) and 1987-88 (90).
    • The top six teams have won all 33 of their Premier League matches versus the current bottom three teams in the table this season. This is a top-flight record; surpassing 30 wins in such games in 1891-92, 1978-79, 1985-86, 2001-02, 2011-12 and 2013-14.
    • Liverpool have now won nine consecutive matches in all competitions, their longest winning streak since April 2014 under Brendan Rodgers (also nine games) - a run which also included a victory away at Cardiff.
    • Georginio Wijnaldum's goal for Liverpool was just his second to be scored away from home in the Premier League, with the other 19 all coming in home games.
    • Trent Alexander-Arnold's assist for Liverpool was his 10th of the season in all competitions, seven of which have come in his past 11 matches.
    • Liverpool have scored more goals via corners (13) than any other side in the Premier League this season, while Cardiff have conceded the most from such scenarios (12).
    • Ten of James Milner's last 12 league goals for Liverpool have come from the penalty spot, with nine of those 12 goals also coming away from home.
    • Only Wilfried Zaha (six) has won more Premier League penalties this season than Liverpool forward Mohamed Salah (five).

jeffcoop and B.A. repped this.
  10. oikos

oikos Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Glastonbury, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leicester city owe us after costing us 2 pts. They should do the right thing and take three points from Manchester City

jeffcoop repped this.
  11. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The corner routine was created during HT by the team ....

Second half goals from Georginio Wijnaldum and a James Milner penalty sealed maximum points as the Reds returned to the Premier League’s summit.

Wijnaldum’s 51st-minute opener stemmed from a short corner by Trent Alexander-Arnold which teed up the Dutch midfielder for a first-time shot.

But Klopp revealed that his side’s initial breakthrough in the Welsh capital stemmed from a routine devised in the away dressing room at half time.

He said: “We used a set-piece in a fantastic way, the boys were so smart, they used the experience from the first half from a corner. “It’s not from the training ground; it’s from the dressing room at half-time, when the boys decided to do that. I love that.

“We put a lot of emphasis on set-pieces. We know Cardiff is outstandingly strong on offensive set-pieces, but from time to time they have some problems with defensive set-pieces.

Wingtips1, Suss and B.A. repped this.
  12. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    Another workmanlike win, never easy against that tw*t Warnock but we roll on. Great hit by Gini.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  13. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    They have already beaten City this season. It’s a big ask for them to do it again. Brendan Rodgers could do us a major favor and get some revenge for 2014.

14. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'm don't agree. I thought we were very good today against a parked bus. A bit of more direct variety with Naby an dHendo not always looking for trent and AR, which was good, because thye had very little space. We managed to get in and about them int he penalty box enough times for it to eventually count....
    Sometimes this year we hjaven't been able to do that.
    Salah looks great again...
    Barca beware....

15. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Ironically cute indeed if Everton are the team that caused United players to demand some pride from within themselves in a derby game that benefits us.....

(which is another reason why I think it will happen - that and DeBruyne turning his ankle yesterday ....)

Wingtips1 repped this.
  16. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    If I can ask. Salah seems a bit more self centred this year than last. I guess last year as well but they were all going in. But doesn't it worry you in clutch games which version you will see of that. For example he wished to take the penalty ahead of Milner yesterday sure he earned it but he doesn't practice days on weeks on that discipline like Milner does as a de facto taker. Reminiscent of the Fulham penalty saga for Kamara and Benteke last year who missed after refusing the de facto taker to take it.

17. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    another Friday night game coming up

18. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't there an incident this year that occurred between Mitrovic and Aboubakar? Benteke plays for Crystal Palace.

And in that case - unlike here - the non-normal penalty taker took it and missed. Here Milner exerted his experience and wisdom and took the ball and scored. There was a lot less drama than the Fulham incident.

Was it silly of Salah to want to take the penalty at 1-0 with the normal taker there - yes. And a bit greedy too - but all strikers are that way.

19. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #94 Red Bird, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    Interesting-- I've just heard the referee told Klopp that he'd have blown for a foul on Alisson had Morrison scored.

By the way, when the front three are not firing, we needed the other to step into the breach and, boy, did they! Oh, and Henderson needs to work on his shooting-- it's one of the reasons why I feel he doesn't quite fit that more advanced role, a la Scholes, Gerrad, Carrick, Lampard etc.

20. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I think that mini goal drought of Mo's got to him.

21. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    Saw the same game, maybe used the wrong word. We got the job done very nicely against a massed side.

22. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    You really want them to get involved in the length of grass?
    Are they going to tell clubs they can't water the pitch at halftime?
    It was said that under Wenger he pushed the club to use every inch possible when drawing the lines at Highbury in order to better serve his players.
    Pulis while at Stoke set up the field a bit more narrow (by 1-2 yards on each side) so his cloggers didn't have to run too far before having something to kick.

23. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I didn't see the penalty "disagreement" yesterday but I share your concern a bit.

all great strikers are greedy. at this point though Salah is starting to become too self-centred. he never passes the ball if he thinks he can get a shot off, even to better-placed mates. Bobby and Mane deserve a medal for staying with him on breakaways, they have a huge hand in a good outcome, but best they can hope for themselves is to catch a rebound.

in those situations now and then it'd be great to see Salah pass, if only to give the oppo something else to worry about.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  24. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Looking at the run in, it's pointless to look at our remaining games. Either we win them all or we don't win the league. So let's assume 9 points there.

City have United away, Burnley away, Leicester home and Brighton away.

United: Difficult to say. If the Everton team from yesterday, then they get their collective arses thumped again and 3 points City. They'll have to play so far above themselves, something that has been lacking since the PSG match away, that's it's difficult to see them troubling City. But. But. They'll know their only shot at redemption and a possible top 4 finish is to get a result against City. Can they possibly be as bad as they were yesterday? Probably not. They will be up for it, as will City. I've gone from harboring hopes of maybe a United win, definitely a draw, to an outside chance of a draw. The derby atmosphere and the chance to play spoiler will help, but a draw only on a very good day.

Burnely: They've not reached the heights of last season, but Dyche has found that extra gear in recent months. While they'll rarely outscore you, they are good defensively. The hope here would be for a draw, maybe a better chance than United.

Leicester: Playing really good football since the appointment of Rodgers and Vardy seems reborn. I'd be hugely more confident if this were an away game, but Leicester will give them a game. Personally this is the game I'm hanging my hat on.

Brighton: Less of a chance here than United. Even if Brighton need relegation points, they don't have what it takes to make a game of it. While there'll always be a (Dumb and Dumber Type) chance, if they've gone 3 for 3 going into this game, I'm not really holding out much, if any, hope.

25. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    his miss yesterday was dreadful. stay cool, man!