Car Rental -- Any advice?

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by NBlue, Apr 7, 2006.

1. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So after much deliberation, I have elected to rent a car for the last 5 days of my stay in Germany -- the opportunity to drive on the Autobahn was too great to pass up plus this seemed to be the best way to see the many castles I'd like to get to. In looking for a car rental, the site that seems to be the most prominant (and the cheapest) is auto europe. Anyone had any dealings with these folks -- it seems they are a middle-man and not an actual rental agency -- I'm a bit concerned that I'm not really going to get the deal that I agree to if they put me with some two bit rental agency trying to rip me off -- thanks for any insight!

2. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I've used them before with no problems whatsoever.

3. rickinva

rickinva Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    I rented an Audi a6 for one day through Budget. Price was much cheaper than all other options I had found. Not sure why that is, but it was.

One thing I did find is your price is much better if you pick up in town, and not at an airport/train station.

rick

4. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I rented a car in 2000 in Germany. I found it and contract for it in the US (on the internet, if I remember correctly) - it was cheaper than waiting to get to Germany to arrange.

5. Jabo

Jabo Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Washington, DC
    I got a rental for my whole upcoming stay through Expedia on a weekly rate of 152 euros (midsize/AC and most important for me....automatic transmission). Whatver you do, if you can't drive stick, don't get stuck with one. Make sure you're getting automatic.

6. SUNDROP

SUNDROP Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Grand Junction,CO USA
    We reserved online with Sixt - better prices than Hertz or Avis (in Heidelberg) for 41.81 E per day (Ford Focus) - they had a two-seater VW for less

7. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I rented a car this summer in Bavaria, just searched the Internet for best prices. Think I ended up with EuroCar or something. No problems at all. I'd say that you're likelier to end up with a fly-by-night experience in the U.S. than in Germany. They're pretty buttoned down.

The nice thing was, the "midsized" rate referred to a Mercedes, Audi, or BMW. Gotta like that! Plus, we got a free upgrade, so I was tooling around on the Autobahn in a Mercedes "S" class at $70 per day, something like that. Unlimited miles. Try to get a Mercedes S for $70 in the U.S. ...

8. Sagz

Sagz Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Cbus
    Some of the agencies require you to have one of the international drivers permits to rent a car. Im renting one for the 2 weeks midsize/compact auto for about 400bucks

9. jumunius

jumunius New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    I just got my reservation details from AutoEurope and they booked me with an Alamo rental, so I'd say you're pretty safe. And they definitely seemed the cheapest.

10. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    I used them last summer and had no problems and was even upgraded and given an automatic transmission (big $$$)

11. doogiemo

doogiemo Member

Aug 11, 2005
    ohh USA, USA USA USA
    just for comparison.. what dates and what rate did you get? thanx

12. biersal

biersal Member

Jun 12, 2000
    Roxborough
    Club:
    --other--
    I used Auto Europe...cheapest price and I got a guarenteed free upgrade one class.

13. Stinkey Turner

Dec 15, 2000
    NBlue,
    I'm also trying to get a gauge for the advantage/disadvantages of renting a car vs. Eurail Pass. Seem on the face of it, for four adults, car rental is cheaper for the entire first round games than buying a eurail pass. Car is ~$500 plus gas/parking.
    We have hotels around the three first round cities so a car would come in most handy when driving between cities. We would essentially take public tranposrtation locally and going to the matches so we can drink, etc. Can anyone comment from experience the possible drawbacks here that I may not be considereing?

14. Sagz

Sagz Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Cbus
    I went through national city car rental because at the time they had the best rates when i reserved. And like I said National City requires a IDP to rent a car.

Mileage and rates**
    Unlimited free miles
    Weekly base rate: 145.00 EUR*
    extra day: 20.71 EUR
    Minimum rental: 5 days
    Car type: Midsize 4 Door
    Pick-up date: Saturday, Jun 10, 2006
    Drop-off date: Saturday, Jun 24, 2006

15. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I was thinking the same thing, but I have a really big reservation. There will be so many people driving that I am sure accidents will be prevelant. This could cause a serious delay in the time it takes to arrive and leave a game....
    If there is a serious accident on the Autobahn it takes at least two hours for the whole thing to be cleared up and allow drivers to continue.

16. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    I am thinking of renting a car also, does anyone have an idea how much parking may be daily in different types of areas? Want to make sure it is really worthwhile to get a car.

17. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Just a bit of advice for people who are renting a car and have never driven on the Autobahn before.

THE LEFT LANE IS FOR PASSING ONLY!!!

:)

18. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    You need to make sure that you really need a car, but with four people I agree that Eurail passes would be pricey. Actually, you can get a 5 day twin pass (2 people) for $165 (2nd class). So that would be less if you aren't travelling a lot of days. But with the train you have to leave when IT wants, not when you want. So you lose some freedom there, but regain it comparison with the burden of a car once in the city. Gas is $$$$, too.

I've rented before, but the train seems more practical this time around.

19. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    Also, just because you haven't been "pulled over" doesn't mean you haven't received a citation.

and

when you cross the border into Denmark SLOW DOWN!!

20. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AND you cannot inch past someone. You must speed up and get back in the right lane. If two cars are inching along side by side, both can get a citation.

Also, when in Frankfort last spring while some world wide convention was taking place, the airport had ZERO rental cars. While I'm sure they will work to have more cars available at the airport for this slightly larger event, you be better be sure you have a car reserved and available to pickup or you maybe SOL. I'd highly recommend looking into offsite rentals like Eurocar (has numerous locations like Enterprise in the US). You'll probably also find more desirable cars at the offsite location, unless you have an affinity for the Mercedes A-Class or a Smart Car.

For the person traveling with 4 people, you may have a difficult time finding a car comfortable for traveling with 4 people and luggage in it. Consider that when waying your options.

21. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reserve before you go.
    Know how to drive Standard transmission or plan on paying extra.
    Plan on extra time when not travelling on Autobahns.
    Have a navigator with a map. Signage is not as good as most of the USA. You need to know what cities are in the direction you're going and which aren't.
    Try to stay in smaller cities. Parking downtown Munchen, Berlin, or other large cities is expensive and/or impossible!

In large cities, park the car and use public transit.
    Four in a car is economical, but Underpack - don't overpack.

22. Sagz

Sagz Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Cbus
    The main thing im going to use the car im renting is for A. Getting from the airport to the villa. and then B. Going from the villa to the train station. The train stations are more than walking distance. It also will let me get into the village by me to get supplies quickly.

23. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I've rented a car, but I wonder about parking at the games. Any idea? My wife claims she remembers reading that there would be parking "off site" somwhere and they would bus fans into the stadiums.

24. Medeiros

Medeiros Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Pawtucket, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a group of students on a budget trying to rent a car to travel/sleep in. Done it before, but never in Germany. Any advice, Autoeurope seems the best option so far

25. frenil

frenil Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Lund
    I'm guessing t here will be plenty of tourists who are overestimating their driving abilities, and subsequently there will undeniably be plenty of accidents. If an accident occurs, you'll probably be stuck for a couple of hours.