Captain George Vancouver's Crew

Discussion in 'Vancouver Supporters Clubs' started by Black13, Aug 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black13

Black13 New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Captain George Vancouver's crew is a Vancouver Whitecaps FC supporters group being created in anticipation of the clubs move to MLS in 2011. We are also here to cheer on the club during their final year in USL1.

The general idea of the group is to have a CAPO (soccer term for leader) who is dressed as Captain George Vancouver, a British sailor whom the city of Vancouver BC is named after. Cpt. Vancouver was the first European to sail into the Burrard Inlet past Stanley Park, a feat which he did in 1792. This will be the general time frame the group will play off of. But all sailors are welcome from all time periods.

When it comes to TIFO, the Captain himself (that would be me) is currently in discussion with Vancouver Whitecaps FC head office on the possibility of having a cannon to fire off during games. The more of us there are, the more likely this is to happen.

Other ideas up in the air include a flag pole to 'Hoist the Colours' up at the beginning of each home game. Using traditional sea shanties and naval songs for songs to sing during matches. Having some sort of free sailor hat as part of a paid membership package. Establishing The Lamplighter pub as our home base. Did I mention we could get a cannon? [​IMG]

I think that if we all work together here we could create something truly memorable and fantastic for our Vancouver Whitecaps FC. We could create an atmosphere that is talked about all over professional soccer. That's what I want to do, and I hope every one of you want to join me in this.

Message me through here if you would like to talk further, or even better join the crew and talk there. I'm the Captain himself.

2. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

You are going to name your group "the crew" which is the name of one of the opposing teams in the league?

3. Black13

Black13 New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    An excerpt from The Code of The Captain's Crew;

Article 1 – Identification
    The name of the organization shall be Captain George Vancouver’s Crew Whitecaps FC Supporters Club, hereinafter called “The Crew” for ease of reference during this document. We will be more commonly referred to as "The Captain's Crew," or "Captain Vancouver's Crew."

4. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Firing off a cannon. How very original :rolleyes:

5. Black13

Black13 New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Smart mouth comments from people who are suppose to be on my side (you know, fans of the Whitecaps). Excellent.
    There are no original ideas. It's all been done before, all you can hope for is to put your own spin on it where you are. Your snow cannon is a glorified confetti cannon. It's been done at every concert that ever happened, and the Sounders make theirs sparkley. But its your spin on it and it's cool.

I had a good bit of communication going with Johnny Monster on how we could work together. I know you, Mr. Ranger, are the next closest to being his replacement/contact point for the head office.
    Can we be friendly, or are we gonna rip on each other? I'd really rather be friendly and build a fun atmosphere at Whitecaps matches, rather than unfriendly and have a tense atmosphere at Whitecaps games. Like the relationship you're developing with the guys to the right of the goal there. You boys should talk. And calling them skinheads like everyone around Swangard does is about as fair as you guys being called hooligans.

I'm off topic. Can we be cool and not tear each other down. Yes? No?

6. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    You must be close to the action but right out to lunch on the "skinheads" of whom a couple are buddies of mine. They are muppets more interested in being drunk and disorderly than supporting a football team.

We haven't given anybody any reason to call us hooligans, ever.

I have no problems with you trying to sort out a PG-13 supporters group, more power to you. We have tried many times with the F/O to sort out tifo and this bad confetti canon came on the club's recommendation as about the baddest-ass pyro-technic/confetti/whatever we could use in conjunction with their code of conduct policy.

Also I want to belong to a group of guys that want to have fun, not memorize the qu'ran as guidelines of who/what the group is.

Just some humble constructive critism. I hope you do well with your endeavor, just don't sell soemthing you cannot deliver, that is my advice. (In reference to a cannon that you have been talking to the F/O about) I have a hard time thinking you will be able to get away with any sort of good tifo displays if that weak snow cannon is the best the F/O would let US get away with.

7. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

I don't believe my comment was smart mouthed.

8. Black13

Black13 New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sorry for being unclear, I wasn't refering to you Krammerhead. I wasn't sure if you were genuine or smarmy. So I threw up a quote.

9. leftcoastkicks

Aug 20, 2009
    Vancouver, BC
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Great idea to start another supporters group IMO. I think the Southsiders are great but a few options would be fantastic. Having said that, I think what rubs some of us, who might be interested, wrong is the approach--to arrive on stage with constitution, theme, chants, rules, TIFO etc., etc., etc., all worked out by a single person, simply awaiting us to sign up as happy sailors. Why not scout out interest first? Why not start a discussion? Why not place yourself in the circle of conversation instead of mounting a pulpit and pounding this through like a Captain Ahab? Sorry, but it's all in tone and tact and democracy or lack thereof. I for one call for mutiny before this ship ever sets sail. Take er back to harbour and go to the pub for a few rounds of beer and banter. If you find a good number of lads who can form a common vision together--fine set sail. Just please steer clear of calling yourselves "The Crew." As mentioned, it's already out there and Vancouver surely has more creativity than that. Good luck, but take it back to the drawing board and widen the circle of dialogue instead of assuming the captaincy and thinking we'll just be all too happy to take your orders. ;)

10. Black13

Black13 New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sigh.

You;
    You a line above that;
    There's one vote of interest in a new group. You want me to go pull up every quote on here of people who think it would be a great idea to have another option? I don't have the time right now.

You again;
    What are we doing right now? I'm discussing, heck I went and made a whole message board to discuss it on.

I'm not really 'mounting a pulpit' or 'pounding it through.' Am I taking charge? Ya. Someone has to or nothing gets done. You ever notice how much work gets done on Sunday? I know I slack off a little.
    What I'm really doing is I'm conveying my ideas so far. I'm setting up a frame work. If someone could help me put up the walls, paint, and pick out blinds that would be looooooovely.

lefty again;
    You can't mutiny unless you join the ship you wish to mutiny on. And it appears you are not joining.

LCK;
    We're not called 'The Crew.' See above post to Krammerhead.
    And prove to me the Vancouver soccer community has more creativity. So far we have one guy who wants to rip off some drum thing from down south, and a group who name themselves after the fact they stand in the south side of the stadium. Doesn't seem too creative to me, seems kinda.....well, not creative at all. And it's the best we have so far but God bless 'em for being out there and DOING SOMETHING.

11. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    i agree--

Black13-- please listen to his advice, take a few steps back and restart the conversation and see what people join in; otherwise your sails will never get raised-- and most of all- KEEP IT SIMPLE-- its not the beginning of a political party-

just my thoughts

12. WhiteCapArmy

WhiteCapArmy Member

Mar 24, 2009
    vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    my only advise is axe the cannon because it be to much like how the Revolution fire off muskets after they score, GL with the group though.

13. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    do you have a website yet?

14. WhiteCapArmy

WhiteCapArmy Member

Mar 24, 2009
    vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    ya he does http://captainvancouverscrew.com/
    umm more advise I'm not trying to be mean but dressing up just seems lame I say keep the name ect but make t-shirts and other stuff not dress up like sailors, the sons of ben don't dress up like Ben Franklin ect. I'm all for having more supporter groups but just don't make a fool of yourself.

15. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you need a logo and a Scarf

16. Black13

Black13 New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'd love to join the conversation sportie1, but it drives me insane cause it goes like this>

"Hey there should be another supporters group"
    "Yeah there should man, how about one like this."
    "No that's dumb, but good luck with it though."

I'm kinda bored with it all. So I'm going to see what I can do by actually doing something.

As far as dressing up goes, no the members don't have to dress up. It's a free country man. It's just fun to dress up, have you seen this city at Halloween? Everyone dresses up and has fun. There's always theme parties going on somewhere, people putting on dumb hats or absurd sunglasses and just goofing off. My friends Facebook accounts are full pictures and stories about these events. It's called fun, and I believe in fun completely.
    I honestly admire the Timber's Army and their man Timber Jim. He dresses up in a (simple but effective) costume and uses a prop, and they have the biggest, most well organized, and best TIFO displays of any damn supporters group in USL, and maybe of all of North American soccer (okay, maybe excluding Mexico). And its because they have a theme, and a guy who's not afraid of dressing up, having fun, and maybe having a few arrows slung at him from those all too quick to mock.

And Epjr I am waaaaaaay off from a logo or a scarf. I'm looking for members to join to hep me with that stuff. This isn't all about me, this is about growing a fan base thats rabid about the Whitecaps.

As far as the cannon goes, this isn't just me running around with a hard on for things that explode. This idea has the support of several key members of Whitecaps staff. And if I didn't do something because someone else (like the Revolution and their muskets) already kinda sorta do something like it, I'd never leave my house. There are no original ideas left. There is just our interpretation, and our variation.

I will say that I am hearing your thoughts on the name. I am considering the removal of 'Crew' that seems to have everyone in a tizzy. I thought simply changing it to 'Sailor' (as in Captain George Vancouver's Sailors) could suffice. There are few options when it comes to naming a crew of sailors. Any other opinions could be helpful.

17. canuck51

canuck51 Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Vancouver
    I'm all for the creation of more supporters groups and may even consider joining one myself come 2011 but as others have said this particular idea is terrible at best

18. loben52

loben52 New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think you have to think about how other fans are going to harrass you. I mean.. if you call yourself the Sailors, you are practically telling rival supporter groups to make fun of you. Themes and such should come organically. I wish you luck, but I do not identify with your type of support.

19. Darth Vegas

Darth Vegas New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Columbia City
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I'm sorry, I see the URL and read it as Captain Vancouver Screw.

Which is ether the name of a great cocktail; the literal translation of the Salish name for British Columbia or something offered in the Red Light District in Amsterdam.;)

20. Black13

Black13 New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Think about how others are going to harass me? Do you know how they harass us already? It's soccer supporter groups, everyone makes fun of everyone for any number of reasons. It's just part of the game. We'll forever be refered to as 'Wankouver' by Portland fans, should we change the name of our city then?

Besides, the day I live my life because I'm afraid of what other people might say, or could say, or definitely will say, is the day I invite someone to put a bullet between my eyes. Because I'm already dead.

You know what I'd really like to see here? Less complaining, and more people stepping up with an actual set of balls. That means having your own ideas and pursuing them, rather than waiting around for someone else to do it, or just ripping someone else apart.
    Like um, Johnny Ranger there complaining about how the only thing the Whitecaps offered (offered, as in someone else went to all the trouble for them)to the Southside was the snow machine thing. And that it sucked. Well boo hoo, come up with a better idea then.
    Complaining is EASY, solving a problem with your own brain and ideas is HARD. Right now the problem is we have 1 supporters group with maybe 80 guys in it (maybe 100 in total, but not all at one game at once), when our closest rival has 1 with close to 1000 (Timber's Army has 1240 members in their myspace profile, and claims close to 1000). Let's see what YOU have got. I honestly would like to know. And no I don't want to hear excuses, and trying to reason us out of why we're unsuccessful because of someone else, I want to see new ideas building something. Because if we go into 2011 the way we are now, we're gonna be a joke with no punch line at all.

21. WhiteCapArmy

WhiteCapArmy Member

Mar 24, 2009
    vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    why do you hate us so much is it because you started getting pissy with us over what we had to say about the RPB? I really wish you Good luck with this because this is ambitious but stop taking shots at us, and the TA is big but we are growing too, and Id say we are around the same size as the ECS and prolly grow like them. Id say try and reach out by maybe advertising with the Team I dunno but BS doesn't really have a lot of whitecaps fans and I think thoughs who are are either Southsiders or long standing grand standers.

22. loben52

loben52 New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Just because there is one supporter group now is not the problem....If i want to join a group, I would rather join the SS instead of dressing like a pirate and singing "shanties" (yarrrr).

If you don't want to get criticized, then don't post in forums. Everyone has the right to their opinion and just because they are complaining doesn't mean they are not doing something about it.

In fact, you are the ones that are not listening to the your audience (the soccer fans on bs). If you read their post, they are telling you that this is not a great idea, but you are trying. Trying taking some advice instead of ranting on how people are not showing initiative.

23. OKTerrific

OKTerrific Member

Sep 10, 2005
    The River End
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must say that as an outsider, this is one of the most hilarious things I've seen on Bigsoccer.

24. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We already have our first banner waiting for you in 2011.

YOUR NORTH END IS FILLED WITH SEAMEN

25. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I guess you aren't going to like my idea to start a new SG in Philly called the "Brotherly Lovers" where we all dress up in togas and speak Greek? :(