Canucks Abroad - New Tracking Thread (as of June 30, 2009)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Blizzard, Jun 30, 2009.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    so what do you guys think? will Larin make the move abroad this winter or next summer?

2. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Has there been talk on anyone showing interest? I have little doubt that he's being watched, but I haven't heard of anyone specific.

3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    i guess i was just pulling up info from interest from (i believe Benfica) this summer. I do wonder if he might have attention from clubs other then the PL. Maybe Serie A or Ligue 1

4. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This article is about Celtic's interest in him......but it lists the other teams rumoured to have interest.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/footb...c-fans-should-know-about-cyle-larin-1-4305249

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
  6. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Better than Celtic? That's a pretty big name club, even if the rest of Scotland isn't.

I only hope that if he goes he sees regular pitch time with a club at least on par with MLS. If not, it's better that he stays. Regular play in MLS is better than bench time in Europe.

7. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The carrot that Celtic waive at these young fellas is regular Champions League football......could he sign for a better club in a better league? Probably....would he get regular playing time and CL exposure....not likely.

Celtic have become more appealing to young players, also, since Brendan Rogers took over as manager....he has a reputation of being a great guy to play for and who knows how to communicate with, and develop, young talent.

Not sure if this is where Larin ends up.....but for quite a few players in recent years it has been a very, very, good stepping stone to starting in the EPL.

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    i guess the 6 guaranteed CL games a year would be appealing. And if he develops well he could pad his stats there for a season or 2. But i'd like to see him in say France or Italy.

9. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The CL games are not "guaranteed"....the Scottish Champions have to go 3 rounds of qualifying before getting to the group stages. They don't always get there.

Also, the Scottish League in general (and Celtic specifically) is more a stepping stone to England than France or Italy (I am hard pressed to think of a player that went that route to those leagues)......Forster, Wanyamma, Van Diik etc all went to England recently......it turns into a very symbiotic relationship....Celtic signs young players to decent wages on 4 year deals, develops them then sells them to EPL clubs at a profit before the deal ends.

IMO....it is the route that Henry's agent should have been looking at rather than what he did (ie. sign directly with WHU).

This route will get bigger in the next few years as Rangers will re-emerge as an option to do the same thing.

10. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the last four Champions Leagues, Celtic has reached the Group Stage twice, and both times they won the Playoff Round aggregate by 1 goal. That includes them being saved by Legia Warsaw forfeiting for using a suspended player in 2014-2015.

11. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    For Canadians, gigs in France and Italy are rare. Of the bigger leagues, Germany and England tend to be the places that Canadians go.

12. maroonaviator4

Apr 25, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Read today that Lucas Cavallini is about to sign with Uruguay's "CA Peñarol". I've visited most of South America, and that club has the same status/prestige as Boca Juniors continent wide. Historically, this news considered on par with (in Hockey terms) signing for the Montreal Canadiens in terms of prestige; interestingly making this pretty much the most significant transfer in Canadian soccer history.

It's too bad Cavallini doesn't want to represent Canada anymore. He's a solid striker.

[​IMG]

13. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Penarol are, no doubt, a big club....but analgous to the Montreal Canadiens in hockey? Really? The most storied club in a sport? The club with the most championships in its sport? As a Leaf fan I am more likley to suggest that Real Madrid is analagous to the Montreal Canadiens.

14. maroonaviator4

Apr 25, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You have to understand that there's different narratives in each continent. In Europe, Real Madrid (and a few others)= probably their "Montreal Canadiens". In South America, it's definitely Boca, Peñarol, etc. After having a Brazilian friend explain the history, I was astonished. Peñarol is considered a mythical club in South America, which is world football's co-most important continent.

15. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Let's just say that Peñarol is a big deal and leave it at that.

TOareaFan repped this.
  16. maroonaviator4

Apr 25, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Regardless of that, the point is that it's unprecedented. This is the equivalent of a Canadian signing to be a starter on Boca Jrs; both them and Penarol are in the top list of most iconic clubs in the history of football. So I'd argue it's easily one of the most significant transfers in Canadian soccer history. I wish Lucas the best there.

17. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Penarol is historically a big club, but Boca is still a big club that plays at a high level. The Uruguayan league is not one of the strongest in SA. Except for Penarol's run to the final in 2011, no Uruguay club has made the Libertadores final in nearly 30 years.

18. maroonaviator4

Apr 25, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #468 maroonaviator4, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    True. But it doesn't take away from the momentous transfer. But numbers you mentioned are too simple/black and white. For example, last Libertadores, I read Nacional of Uruguay convincingly eliminated Brazil's top 2 clubs on and were favourites to win it all until a shootout loss to Boca. So #s like the ones you mentioned are too misleading for constructive argument.

19. maroonaviator4

Apr 25, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Actually...that argument is more than misleading. A quick wikipedia search revealed that 3 of the last 7 Copa Libertadores had Uruguayan clubs in the top 4. So just mentioning finals is...well too simple and deceptive.

But we're getting off topic. Has any Canadian ever even played in South America before Lucas Cavallini?

20. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Carlos Rivas played for La Serena and Iquique (Chile). Jeyson Quezada played for Quilpué (Chile, D3).

Also Tony Menezes spent time in Brazil.

In re: to Peñarol, historical club no doubt with plenty of silverware, but definitely not as feared or relevant at continental level anymore.

21. maroonaviator4

Apr 25, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Playing for Peñarol is like playing for the Toronto Maple Leafs now :D (huge history and prestige, but awful in recent times).

I read today that Infantino wants CONMEBOL to join CONCACAF. This could mean more Canadians in South America. The start of a new age for Canadian soccer.

22. dantasu

dantasu Member

Portuguesa Santista
    Brazil
    Dec 8, 2009
    Santos
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Michael Mike Filipovic joined Amparo in 2010.

http://www.stthomastimesjournal.com/2010/09/08/a-new-technique-in-brazil
    http://www.ogol.com.br/player.php?id=142501&epoca_id=0&search=1

23. dantasu

dantasu Member

Portuguesa Santista
    Brazil
    Dec 8, 2009
    Santos
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  24. dantasu

dantasu Member

Portuguesa Santista
    Brazil
    Dec 8, 2009
    Santos
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  25. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    While I'd love to see that happen I'm not betting on it. The smaller countries won't want to give up their automatic entry into major tournaments and Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay won't want to have to compete with Mexico and the US for major titles (even if they're still the favourites).