Can't We All Just Get Along? (The Transfer Thread)

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by bandwagongooner, Jun 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zombier

zombier Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Jersey City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Gonzalo's price was not over the top in todays market. Lets be real...we are extremely cheap. I dont applaud us for being frugal. We have 70m to spend. We need a striker and star and Higuain at 39m is worth it. Hell I think we could have had him for 30-35m if we hurried the process along. These bids we make are just winding us up. Arsenal will do its deals near the end of the window where we can penny pinch and get the last meat off the bones of whoever is still left.

2. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    stop ignoring facts. he WAS a backup at real madrid. if he wasn't he would still be there. (a very good backup, no doubt, but a backup nonetheless)

3. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Spanish league is a joke. All of the TV money goes to Barca and Madrid. The minnows get nothing. The end result is a very boring competition dominated completely by two teams, who steamroll the rest of the league and finish the season with a stupid goal differential.

Barca and Real Madrid are like the Harlem Globetrotters. The appeal of the product is cramming a bunch of stars into one lineup and putting them out there against patsies so they can humiliate them and send the fans home happy.

That's fun once or twice, but how stoked can you really get for a Madrid vs. Zaragoza matchup when you know that Coentrao cost more than Zaragoza's entire squad? The product is very boring and that's why the Prem is beginning to pull away in terms of TV contracts and global interest.

Small sample size, but I don't personally know anyone who watches La Liga matches unless it's a clasico. The interest just isn't there. The Prem has issues of its own, but there is still more parity and now it's reached a point where teams like Sunderland and Swansea can spend all but the very biggest Spanish clubs under the table.

Madrid and Barca can light money on fire every transfer window, but the current setup over there is bad for the league and may eventually justify the Scotland comparisons.

4. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Why are you here? We aren't dealing with you this summer anymore...go hang out in the tottenham forum.

daedalus and thebigman repped this.
  5. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No. Our offer was in line with expectations and RM was ready to make the deal. Then Napoli, flush with cash after selling Cavani, came in with a much bigger bid to land Higuain. They intentionally overspent because they landed a huge profit and they need to replace their lost striker.

The market value of a player is wholly dependent on which teams are involved. Some teams, particularly the vanity teams like PSG, Man City, or Chelsea, inflate the price because their ownership is indifferent to ROI.

6. n4100

n4100 Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Yeah, but you know market factors influence prices. Once the Cavani and Falcao deals were made, we either needed to meet the new price quickly or it would go up even further. I've read 32m quid is what it ended at. We're offering 10m more for Suarez. Can anyone tell me what is so special about Suarez that he's worth the extra 10m? Hell, 10m is a player from the French league or some unknown from Eastern Europe that we've been scouting...hell, we could even us it to help out with the wage bill if we want to be more competitive. Sorry, the more I see what Higuain went for and us dillying with our wanker over a wanker the more upset I am at this club. I wish just one f)(*ing summer they would not talk about how much money we have to spend or that we're going to spend or anything like that. Just go do it.

7. ChapacoSoccer

ChapacoSoccer Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Our offer was in line with expectations until the market showed that strikers cost more than was expected. Negredo and Soldado are selling for around the same as Higuain did. Higuain is at least as good as them, I think better. Top rank strikers just cost a lot of money. The big money clubs are upping the prices for everybody. more cash in the system means all the prices are higher. It seems to me that Arsenal are not flexible enough to recalibrate their value forecast quickly.

8. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Proven EPL commodity, 30 goals in all comps last year
    + He just signed an extension and LFC don't want to sell
    + Cavani just went for 55 million and Higuain for 37
    = Suarez costs a lot

Simple math.

thebigman repped this.
  9. BigEffingGooner

BigEffingGooner Member+

Apr 25, 2012
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Good Lord, can someone just ban Youngstars from the Arsenal forum? His drivel is like pulling finger nails ...

On actual ARSENAL news, Luis Gustavo is being pursued heavily by Wolfsburg reportedly. At this point I think we should take a run at him. He can do a job at dm, he can even fill in at cb, and with our CL offerings I think we could convince him to come.

10. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Buy low, sell low, it's the arsenal way these days. Funny, that we have two backup strikers we are trying to shift and can hardly give them away.

wanye_stirrear repped this.
  11. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with all of this.

12. n4100

n4100 Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Philadelphia
    The only part that matters now in the Suarez price is the fact that 3 major strikers have already moved this summer, meaning there is less on the market. Supply has dwindled price goes up. That I do understand. I still think you're owner had some gumption to ask what we were smoking. Also, most numbers for Higuain say 32.

13. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    balls.
    negrado went for at least £10m less than higuain, so if you're saying they're similar then you just made the argument that higuain was overpriced.
    soldado apparently has a £25m release clause, so if he is sold it will be for £7m less than higuain.

14. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should have gone in and sealed the deal early, but you also can't base value on what oil funded clubs pay. That might be market value, but it is a very small market, and one that is unsustainable. Napoli overpaid for Hiquain because PSG overpaid for Cavani. 30 million would have been a reasonable value, but i thought we would get a discount because Madrid wanted to unload the player.

OklahomaGunner repped this.
  15. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not if the other bidders are out of the market. Most of the big clubs have already filled their shopping lists, and now we're left to pick through the scraps.

16. OklahomaGunner

Dec 21, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Yes because Man City overpaid, that means the market is off and needs to get in line with stupid spending.

Do you really believe these silly things?

No one is arguing that City paid a good price for Negredo, but that doesn't suddenly mean Higuain is worth more. AGAIN, you got the money you felt he was worth, I'm more than happy Arsenal didn't buy at that price.

Everyone is happy, so why the hell are you still here?

17. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    btw. this one seems to have slipped under the radar, but benat went to athletic bilbao.....price? £7m

18. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

In all fairness, that's why they play 17 Classicos each season. :D

crazy150 repped this.
  19. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    i suppose that is what our board will say, then they tried to fleece us for more money...
    who knows john... we seem to be such amateurs at buying players (which is why Arsene typically deals with smaller clubs).

20. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they've got the number 25 stuck in their heads because that's what they've sold all our players for.

21. LAgooner05

LAgooner05 Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Orange County
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The market doesn't lie, Higuain was not hot property. None of the big clubs wanted him other than Juventus and Arsenal. There wasn't a market for him and there was never going to be a bidding war for him. The fact that City went after Negredo rather than Higuian speaks volumes, and this is a team with unlimited resources that spent £25mil for Fernandinho. Face it, no one rated him or priced him the same as your club.

If not for the Cavani sale and Maradona talking nonsense and basically convincing both parties that he'll be the second coming of himself at Napoli, Higuain likely stays with RM and rots in that bench in a World Cup year. Napoli outbid itself and according to reports paid €40 mil, and they did that only because it was all the profit from Cavani's sale, paid €17 mil for and sold for €64 mil. The perfect storm for RM.

22. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    its almost like y'all are pissed that Napoli showed ambition and bought a great replacement for a player they were always going to lose... we should do the same sadly...

Van Persie out... Giroud in.

Fifty, CanStriker and UnionFan11 repped this.
  23. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd never be pissed at anyone from Naples - those dudes are scary.

charlie15 and AmericanGooner1986 repped this.
  24. ChapacoSoccer

ChapacoSoccer Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don't see the market working like that. every young striker with potential now might sell for 60 or 70 or even a bale like 100 million euros. So you have porto holding out for 40 m euros for Jackson Martinez, and thats likely built on the idea that he could be worth much more with a couple of good years in a top 4 league. And, the clubs aren't restricted by their own balance sheet. Like Atletico and Falcao, they can use third party financing to get the player without paying the full price. The team gets the player, the 3rd party investors get most of the upside. Bernard will likely go to a team with 3rd party financing that guarantees a starting spot because that maximizes his chance for the real big money move later. The huge club money trickles down to the entire market- even for players who will never get that big fee because somebody is willing to bet the odds the player might make it.

probably the new bargain market is the older players like mario Gomez who no longer have a big transfer in the future.

25. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Worst transfer thread ever.