Canned music after each goal in MLS?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by MightyMouse, Aug 3, 2012.

?

Canned music after each goal in MLS?

1. Yes?

48.8%
  2. No?

51.2%
  1. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a poll to see what you all think of having canned music after each MLS goal. At first it was ok, but lately it has been bothering me, I would like to know what everyone thinks though. It is a far better deal than what MLS was before, having music in the middle of play. From the Dynamo song, to the RSL song, to the Doop Doop, etc. What do you all think about it?

2. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As opposed to?

Unak78 repped this.
  3. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    live orchestras.
    actually i don't mind it in mls because the sound systems aren't nearly as deafening as in, say, yankee stadium or the indoor arenas. msg is the worst.

jayd8888 repped this.
  4. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone around the world does it practically, even the European Championships did it (and unless it was my imagination, each NT had their own song picked).

It really doesn't bother me too much either way. As long as it's not during the run of play, which thankfully it seems like they the league/teams know better now.

The thing that drives me nuts is the Chivas USA PA announcer yelling "arriba las chivas" during corner kicks. This, coming from the organization that was supposed to teach us gringos about how to put on a futbol experience :rolleyes:

Unak78 repped this.
  5. MightyMouse

Jun 19, 2003
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The crowds cheering? I can't recall any Premiership game having music per goal. I always enjoyed hearing the crowd cheer on after a goal. MLS didn't always pump canned music in after each goal and now it seems like they have some sort of league mandate to do it. The thing is, its the same thing over and over, it starts to drive me a bit insane. Now each team has their own thing, they play it almost instantly after a goal is scored, it kinda sucks to not hear the crowd more.

6. JoeCelt

JoeCelt Member+

Jul 7, 2012
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
  7. SxSxWxC

SxSxWxC Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Wyandotte Crossing
    It really is a pretty common thing around the world. The Crew have always done it. They currently use "Bro Hymn" by Penny Wise, I quite enjoy it.

8. MightyMouse

Jun 19, 2003
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK let me make an example for you that I think can make what I am talking about clearer. When watching highlights of just about any Premiership game when someone scores a goal I freaking LOVE hearing and seeing the crowd reaction without canned music IMMEDIATELY popping over the sound system to overshadow it. Does this mean I want MLS to be the Premiership? No and I want to make that clear, still, there are things to admire about one of the best leagues around to date.

Example 1 without canned music after goal:

What I don't mind is if the music happens well after the goal was scored while the teams are walking back to their respective sides for the restart. What I do mind is the music blaring RIGHT AFTER the goal happened just sucking out the natural moment and atmosphere.

Mucky repped this.
  9. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really find this as a none issue. Seems that no one is really bothered by it with the exception of you and maybe a few others.

10. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    I hate the Premiership so if they don't do it we should do more.

11. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I keep hearing about Bro Hymn... I thought maybe that was the dart song. So I just looked it up, and my god is it horrifically bad. I am all for canned music, as long as it's not that.

12. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    I'm with you. I almost invariably prefer natural crowd noise to anything canned or planned. To be honest, I don't even like drums and other noisemakers much, but at least it's the fans expressing themselves rather than someone else trying to speak for them.

I can understand a neutral venue, with presumably a lot of neutral fans, like the Euros, to want to pump up the atmosphere a little. However, home fans in their own stadium should never require noise supplementation. A) it's redundant (or should be), and B) it's a little bit insulting, like being told, "you aren't good enough". This isn't baseball after all, where you might need the organist to remind you from time to time that there's a game going on.

13. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't have a problem with canned music, although I wish more teams would adapt songs that the supporters can actually sing. That's what I grew up watching

14. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    That's beautiful. I could handle canned music if it were done this way. Let the crowd react, give them 15 seconds or so to go nuts, then play your singable music and let the crowd take over from there.

15. jmnva

jmnva Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    NO--I hate canned music. Let the crowd react and supporters sing

16. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It appears that the talking point is prepackaged vs. organically generated music.
    Both have their merits and both appear across many sports in our sports culture. Fight songs in college gridiron are not really dropped on the crowd over the PA system, why, cuz the school's athletic department allows the band to get it going when needed. In baseball, with no bands, the organ player is left to pipe in some tunes when needed according to his judgement on the flow of the game or perhaps lack there of. It would appear that if MLS Front Offices want to combine the two then like mentioned above just wait till the crowd and SG's are done doing their thing to then have the PA guy drop in the prepackaged tune or chant with said PA being soccer savvy enough to pick the optimal time.

17. MightyMouse

Jun 19, 2003
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not totally 100% against fights songs or music per say well AFTER the goal is scored and AFTER the crowd gets to cheer. I am against it being played mere seconds after the goal as it starts to sound like a gimmick and it starts to drown out the crowd. Once you get an over the top DJ in charge he will want to pounce on the music button closer and closer to when the goal is scored and then it's the closest thing to NBA or Hockey you can get which I am no fan of. I was one of the posters that for years in MLS would absolutely HATE and DESPISE music played at any moment during the run of play. It was not that long ago that MLS allowed this crap to happen and believe me it lead to some very uncomfortable moments when watching the game in person or on TV. Again once you have an overzealous DJ that wants to be more and more involved in the "action" thinking they are the entertainment it is time to remind them they are simply there for background noise after the fact the fans have been heard.

18. MightyMouse

Jun 19, 2003
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey bud its a simple poll, nobody is going to get hurt or insulted, it is something to consider though. You may like your doop doop song in Phili, but, how long will it be cool? Does everyone really like it every game, every goal, every time?

19. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most people do like it and it's so popular here that the Flyers started using it this year which I thought was awesome. The fact that it's still so popular is funny actually since Novak was the one who encouraged the supporters and FO to us it.

20. Mucky

Mucky Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Manchester England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Absolutely. Bring back the countdown clock and shootouts! :ROFLMAO:

21. MightyMouse

Jun 19, 2003
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the Jock Rock during game play? (I can't even say that kidding around, I am so freaking glad those days are OVER!!!)

generaladmissision18 repped this.
  22. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    If I have to hear Song#2 played ever again it'll be too soon.

23. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Darude's Sandstorm should be mandatory for every MLS goal.

24. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Ah dude, You're taking the fun out of everything.... ;) (Blur joke)

I think the notion of having non-canned music cracks me up. I guess we need a live band. Keep it natural, no memorex.

25. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Isn't it always done this way? Whether it's Song Number 2 or the Dart Song or whatever, they almost always choose songs that are singable. That's the whole point.