Canetti Out

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by MLSNHTOWN, Oct 26, 2018.

1. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
  2. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet baby jesus thank you!!!!!!!!

3. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank Waibel! Time to slaughter many fish in His name!

4. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like 3 threads started the same time. I’ll delete mine

5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Finally. Now, I await ownership going really cheap and getting somebody who makes us all pine for Canetti.

Dynam0, El Naranja and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  7. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, he’ll probbaly find a way to stretch this into an 8-year job until 2026 to put on 3-4 soccer games. That’s pretty stout.

Then again, just as likely he screws up the bid and we get Confederations Cup games only in 2025

8. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An intern from UH Sports Management is the most likely candidate

CeltTexan, Dynam0, *rey* and 2 others repped this.
  9. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA plans to replace the CC with an expanded Club World Cup. And they want an 8 team mini World Cup the year before in the cycle.

10. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    THANK YOU GOD

CeltTexan repped this.
  11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got it.

12. repin1836

repin1836 Member

Jan 26, 2006
    Houston
    Well this came quicker than expected...

Dear XXXXXX,

Earlier today, Chris Canetti announced that he is leaving the Dynamo and Dash to take on an exciting role as the President of the Houston World Cup Bid Committee. I wanted to take a moment to reach out to all of you in light of this.

This news is bittersweet as the Dynamo and Dash are losing such a passionate advocate and leader of the organization. While we are sad to have Chris leaving our organization, we are thrilled that not only is he staying in soccer and in Houston but that he will be leading the efforts to bring the World Cup to our city in 2026.

Chris has tirelessly committed the past 13 years of his life, nine as Team President, to this organization and growing the brand of soccer in Houston. Four appearances in the MLS Cup Final and two championships, a U.S. Open Cup title, building and opening BBVA Compass Stadium, bringing professional women’s soccer to Houston, developing the Dynamo-Dash Youth Soccer club and so many more accomplishments reflect that passion and commitment to this organization.

Anticipating that this move was coming, we recently commenced a search for a new Chief Business Officer. We anticipate making an announcement about this position soon. Now, and until we have a new person in place, we know that we have a lot of work to do in preparation for a what is lining up to be a very exciting 2019 campaign. Playing in the CONCACAF Champions League will give us a tremendous kick-start to the season for our team, our organization, and most importantly, our fans and community.

Thank you for your continued support.

Forever Orange,
    Gabriel Brener

DynamoManiac repped this.
  13. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brener’s search probably was exclusively done with a pool of candidates from the Florida Marlins or Columbus Crew

Heft repped this.
  14. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    i dont know fellas. now we're really go to see if it was Canetti or Brenner. this winter just got more exciting.

what's Oliver Luck up to?

15. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s the President or Commissioner of the new XFL and I read he got a crazy good offer (a few million per year) from Vince McMahon to do it. Not happening

At the same time, Dynamo have lost most of their senior business side execs in the last 18 months which tells me ownership is cheap or they were all unsettled

16. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Or it could be both. If Brener goes and hires someone worse, doesn't suddenly make Canetti a genius.

El Naranja and *rey* repped this.
  17. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The quality of this hire - or really the candidate quality - will speak a lot to how the Brener Private Equity group wants to run this company.

Be very leery if this isn’t some seasoned sports or soccer executive. A “reach” hire screams cheap and status quo.

Secondarily, are there no internal candidates? What kind of organization of this size doesn’t have some succession plan?

NDS10 repped this.
  18. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just picked up on something - the press release talks about Canetti staying “with the team through the end of his contract, which expires December 31, 2018, and assist in the transition of leadership”.

I don’t know about others, and this probably has been in the works for a while, but if anyone has ever been on an employment agreement or similar, to get this close to end of the deal without an extension would be surprising. Begets the question “was his contract even going to be renewed?”

19. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    we just need somebody to keep Matt Jordan from being too cutesy (a Swedish LB, really dude).

CeltTexan repped this.
  20. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    It could be read one of two ways. (1) He is not renewing or seeking extension of his deal, and we're calling that a resignation. (2) Like you said, he wasn't going to be extended, and we're granting him the fig leaf of a resignation. In neither case is it really a resignation short of term. You don't really resign and then serve out your term.

This is more akin to Earnie Stewart wanting to be US GM and then Philly is like we have a contract, and they hash out he will serve out Philly through x date. He already has the other job lined up so this has been in the works a while. It's almost more a hiring announcement for the other gig. To start at conclusion of our gig. Selling arguably a competing product, all due respect. Done on our PR. It kind of suggests we may work with him on hosting but the main venue approved by the bid people is a competing stadium and it's a hosting bid. Anything we could offer like practice facilities, media space, etc. would be secondary.

There is in theory a possibility of his nonrenewal/extension but if it was the statement doesn't really let on, and they're having him run the thing through year end. We're usually in camp by mid January and have most of our shopping done by New Year's. This empowers him over the meaty part of the offseason. If you wanted near term change you may wish it was a real termination or resignation.

Long term this may mean some transition in terms of various staff, as the team succeeds or fails and that executive flexes their muscles to correct it, but near term this probably insulates the soccer "brain trust" on into next season.

21. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would you really want an internal promotion?

CeltTexan and *rey* repped this.
  22. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, not really but more to show how bare bones and non-forward thinking this enterprise is.

I did see something today that Canetti’s replacement role is actually just Chief Business Officer and not President necessarily. Which may signal they are looking cheaper.

DynamoManiac repped this.
  23. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    One thing jumps out in this letter to me: Brener talks about an outgoing Team President (CEO) then says they are looking for a "Chief Business Operator" to replace him. I might be reading too much into this, but that sounds an awful lot to be like a downgrading of the position (i.e. less money spent).

Edit: Or what Westie said

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  24. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A cost saving measure that is likely to have detrimental impacts on the team?

Doesnt sound like us.

Nope...not one bit.

25. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I’m good where I’m at right now, or I’d give them a call