Candidates for 2023 WWC

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by toad455, Mar 21, 2015.

1. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    My guess for the hosts for the U-17, U-20 & 2023 WWC. based on who's biding

2020 U-17: France
    2020 U-20: South Korea
    2022 U-17: India
    2022 U-20: Australia(*I think Australia is awarded this since Japan hosted the tournament in 2012).
    2023 WC: Japan

blissett and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Bidding officially opens :

The key dates of the bidding process are:

15 March 2019: Deadline to submit the completed expression of interest form to FIFA

18 March 2019: FIFA to dispatch the bidding registration and overview documents

16 April 2019: Deadline to submit the completed bidding registration to FIFA

18 April 2019: FIFA to dispatch hosting documents to the member associations that have returned the bidding registration by the above deadline

4 October 2019: Submission of the bid book, the signed hosting agreement and all other hosting documents to FIFA

March 2020: Expected appointment date of the host(s) by the FIFA Council

toad455, L'orange, Lechus7 and 1 other person repped this.
  3. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Was hoping we'd find out sooner. Out of the 6 that have currently expressed interest, I wonder which ones will actually submit a bid. Australia & Japan seem like a guarantee. The other four that have said they're interested: New Zealand, Thailand, South Africa & Colombia.

blissett repped this.
  4. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    And there are nine !

Argentinian Football Association

• Football Federation Australia
    • Bolivian Football Association
    • Brazilian Football Association
    • Colombian Football Association
    • Japan Football Association
    • Korea Football Association (expressing interest in a joint bid with DPR Korea Football Association)
    • New Zealand Football
    • South African Football Association

5. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lechus7, SiberianThunderT and blissett repped this.
  6. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    KoreaFanstasy.jpg

o_O

7. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Maybe the South American countries can wait and bid for the 2027 WWC. 2023 still seems between Japan and Australia.

8. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For my fellow soccer nerds, FIFA's overview of the bidding process here (includes timeline): https://img.fifa.com/image/upload/vx7mrfwvpk5mtlus4qmo.pdf

Notable highlights:
    -any member association that has expressed interest (the 9 above) may then submit an individual bid OR a joint bid with another federation that has expressed interest
    - there's a bid workshop in June of this year
    -bid needs to align with FIFA Women's Football Strategy
    -FIFA window for the 2023 WWC is 10 July-20 August 2023 (a bit later than usual)
    -minimum of 6 stadiums will be selected; bid must have 8 proposed (3 stadiums must already be existent; 55,000-seater is min for opening match and final; 35,000 for semifinals; 20,000 for group stages)
    -minimums of 36 team base camp hotels and 36 team base camp training sites (plus proposed cities must show they have adequate accommodation for FIFA officials, fans, etc.)
    -minimum of 4 team hotels per proposed stadium (and one training site per hotel)
    -minimum of 2 referee base camp hotels (and one referee training site with at least 3 fields)
    -at least 2 proposals for an international broadcasting center
    -bid must show concept of sustainability and include an explicit commitment to human rights and a human rights assessment (might be a problem for North Korea, as would some of the "government guarantees")
    -pitches must be natural grass surface
    -p 38 in the doc is where it says the results of each ballot will be open and made public

Lechus7 repped this.
  9. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    It's terrible that this week they were removing children from their families, but maybe it's a clue that Fifa will give the next tournament to the Australian government.

[​IMG]
    (Oh, look it up)

blissett repped this.
  10. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Will everyone be able to catch the reference? ;)

11. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Ouch! ;)

12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The tourny could always make an appearance back in the US...yeah, I know, but I didn't want Australia to feel all alone.

13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #63 SiberianThunderT, Jun 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    2023 may be a fight between Australia and Japan, but both countries would qualify pretty easily anyway, and I wonder if either of them are superstitious enough to start to wonder about the "host QF curse". Upon reflection earlier today, I noticed that every country that's ever hosted the WWC would have qualified easily enough anyway and probably expected (or at least had reasonable hope of) reaching the SFs... Really makes me think that awarding the WWC to smaller nations (that don't have effectively guaranteed qualification and haven't reached the QFs before) would be a win-win-win situation for all involved!

LouisianaViking07/09 and blissett repped this.
  14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Both worthy options. I do wonder if having the Olympics in Japan next year might throw some support for Australia. Then again were the WC to change from Qatar to Australia, then probably Japan would easily get to host the WWC. Real exciting!

15. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    I think Australia has a slight edge over Japan. Australia still had the best Olympics in the past 30+ years. Maybe it's a sign for a World Cup, too? 2027 should go to the Netherlands. They're planning on biding for it and their fans would be off the wall crazy for it.

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Man, both of you either ignored or missed my point. X-D

It would benefit everyone much better if the next hosts WEREN'T from that top tier of WoSo nations!

I would love to see South Africa, South Korea, or any South American nation host for the next few Cups.

Steve Page repped this.
  17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I was maybe too young to follow along. Why was it the best Olympics in recent memory?

I'd love to see a Latin America or maybe SA host in 2027.

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    It totally got past me :p

Latin America or Africa or Asia :D for 2027.

19. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    The Donovan vs. Conor Casey BS arguments were legendary. And the late-night PBP threads in the era when NBC didn't show anything live.

The USA-Norway women's final was epic too.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Did South Africa host a men's World Cup, or was it the Olympics? Or neither? Of course, a country has to have the right facilities--a selection of stadiums with nice fields--to host a WC. I guess Brazil or maybe Argentina could do it--Brazil hosted the men's WC, of course--but I'm not sure about South Africa. You also don't want teams having to travel long distances to different venues. France, to me, is absolutely ideal.

blissett and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    You hair fair points but could be used to point why matches should always be held in certain countries ie European :mad:

Yeah they hosted 2010 WC.

22. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No, sorry. I can be ok with having Youth World Cup (U-17, U-20) in those nations, as it happened multiple times, but I don't want the typical pattern of these World Cups to repeat at senior stage: if the host nation gets a seeded status, this usually goes to unbalance the whole structure of the groups of the tournament and the bracket, because you have X top-nations as the seeded teams + the hosts who aren't nearly at the same level. If this can be somehow acceptable at the youth level, I don't think it would be at the senior level, for the top competition of women's football.

23. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Both these countries are good choices. I'm a bit worried about the long travel distances in Australia though. It's roughly 3500 km from Perth on the West coast to Sydney on the East. Not exactly the journey you want to make in the middle of a big tournament. A Japan bid would naturally be more compact, unless the Aussies opt for a regional solution. Most of their big cities are located in the South East.

LouisianaViking07/09 and blissett repped this.
  24. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Long distance trips have been done many times before though...during the WWC's in the US and Canada, as well as during the last Olympics (at least for those that had to travel out to Manaus). IOW, its not a barrier in FIFA's mind.

25. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That process will misbalance a tournament that has only two or three groups. Having six (or eight) groups massively mitigates the problem. Having one group with a weak "seeded" team doesn't do any real much harm.