Canadian youths on trial at Leyton Orient (England)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by NEKSoccer, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    nice find... thanks

2. NEKSoccer

NEKSoccer Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Long Island, NY
    You're welcome. Do you know where Peters and Todero are from? In fact, why are only three provinces represented on the current senior national team, pray tell?

3. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, why is the Yukon territory being ignored? :D

4. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They usually just focus on the Arctic Winter Games, which were held during the spring in 2002. Indoor soccer is one of the events...

:D

5. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I played in college one of my teammates was an all-state player from Alaska. I'm assuming people play soccer in the Yukon as well.

6. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I also played college soccer with a guy from Alaska.

Well, I can't find the results of the AWG, but here are the teams that participated...

"Alaska, Alberta North, Chukotka, Greenland, Magadan, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Yukon"

7. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Population of Alaska in 2001: 626 932

Population of the Yukon Territory in 2001: 31000

Slightly different scenario.

8. Blue and White Army

Mipo Dockyard
    Oct 14, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yukon

People, people, people....

the temperature in the Yukon is around the 20 Celcius mark in the summer. It's not like it's competely permafrost up there.

9. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Re: Yukon

Actually it's more like 15 Celcius in the summer. The point I was making is that with a population of 31000 people spread about the whole area, it's not comparable to Alaska that has more than 20 times the population and two large cities.

10. NEKSoccer

NEKSoccer Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Long Island, NY
    Who CARES about the Arctic winter games?!!! It has nothing to do with Canadian soccer and its development! I want to know more about the two trialists. I want to know why there are only three provinces represented on the Canadian national team. Granted, you want the 18 or 22 best, regardless of where they come from. But this suggests to me that the CSA isn't looking far and wide for players. Canada has 24 million people. Somewhere there have to be some good players!

11. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I do, because I might be going to Nunavut to work :p .

Threads on bigsoccer can get way off topic, it happens.

12. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Uh, that's 31 million people.

13. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

What kind of work is up there in Nunavut? (If it's obvious, just consider me ignorant.)

14. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Is Eskimo a job?

PS: I know, I know, "Inuit" :p...

15. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There are government jobs and the service industry (two areas I am looking at). The gov't does give people a Northern salary, which can be rather substantial.

16. hobbes

hobbes Member

Jul 26, 1999
    regina, saskatchewan
    Canadian-Supporter> I have a friend working for the government up in Nunavut, he quite likes it. I don't imagine it's for everyone though.

Canada is only represented by three provinces internationally for many reasons: a) BC has a huge weather advantage over other provinces, because they can more or less play 12 months a year. b) Ontario has a huge population advantage over the rest of the country and with the depth of the talent pool in the metro Toronto area, the top players see national level competition all season. c) Alberta has a strong population base and I would also offer that Niendorf has helped a lot in coaching the elite youth level players and helping them improve and also in getting those young players a chance in Germany, which helped them get a foot in in Europe.

Why aren't there more players from Quebec? I have no idea. I think Wyn Belotte will make it four provinces represented quite soon, but la belle province is a little under-represented.

As for the rest of the country, there aren't a whole lot of people in Manitoba/Sask or the maritimes. Ante Jazic could probably play for the national team and is from Nova Scotia. There's a couple of youth teams from Sask and a few more from the maritimes. I would think there would be more players coming from Winnipeg than there are, but I don't have an explanation for that.

cheers,
    hobbes

17. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They do play soccer but many leave the territory to improve their skills in the south. The Yukon team generally doesn't do well at the Canada Games.