Canadian Women's Premier League

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Robert Borden, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The current Canadian Premier League Commissioner David Clanachan made this comment regarding the launch of a Women's Premier League

sbahnhof repped this.
  2. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    wonder where their going to get the players from? Most Canadians head off to colleges. In the US, the 2nd tier leagues, WPSL & UWS were mostly college players on summer break. The UWS/Calgary Foothills were able to make it all the way to that league's championship game, only loose out to the LA Galaxy were allowed to bring in the NCAA poy, Macario, as a ringer. But again, the Calgary squad was mostly comprised of mostly college players, Meantime, most don't make enough money in the 1st divsion/NWSL as several head out to play winter ball in Australia.

So based on a smaller scale, even if this new "pro" league was able to give decent salaries., where are they going to get th quality players other than ask them to give up college?(as NCAA rules forbade them making money)

3. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    USports Women's Soccer (Canadian Universities)
    53 teams
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/U_Sports_women's_soccer

League 1 Ontario Women's (Division 3)
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/League1_Ontario

Premiere Ligue de Soccer du Québec (Division 3)
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Première_Ligue_de_soccer_du_Québec

The women wouldn't necessarily need to go to NCAA. Lots of quality players came from Usports. With a Premier League, they would be funneled there instead of making the choice of quitting if they don't go overseas

4. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    well just wondering how serious is it when it's mentioned a 'pro league'. As I've previously stated; you can't play in the NCAA(college) & get a salary/playing pro.

you could go the European way & play pro ball full time(9-10 months a season), but the pay scale is very, very low in woso & stops the players from going to college(or at least full time)

don't know the quality of the players of the links you gave, but looking at the Canadian NT, the whole starting lineup went through the NCAA first(though maybe the Canadian college syten your allowed to get paid playing pro ball?)

so just sayin, you can't have it both ways. If this new venture is just a short season, then the last thing you would want to do is pay them a 'pro' salary,

looking a closer look at the excellent UWS/ Calgary Foothills team(they should of won the championship if only LA Galaxy weren't allowed to bring ringers for the finals); UWS is just a two month league, suplemented by mostly college players, who got the advantage over post graduates primarly cuz they can stay in shape since college squads practice & train nearly all year round

5. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    In USports you can. The CPL has a deal allowing players to get a salary while going to University or college

Hence the attractiveness of CPL

Yes but where did they play their youth years? Who develop them before joining the NCAA? It's like those not counting Cyle Larin's years at Sigma in Mississauga because he was in the NCAA before being drafted. No doubt an important stepping stone to go pro in the US but doesn't reflect negatively on what's being done in Canada.

The problem is not having a top league, not the quality of developing players like Jordyn Huitema.

CPL had it's share of detractors in this forum and in their first year, they knocked out an MLS team and a CONCACAF team from South America.

No reason to believe the woman can't do the same or better

6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    This is... a fairly well-spun statement, putting it nicely, and partially incorrect anyway.

For one, there's always usually a low-hanging MLS team that gets knocked off in cup competition. Nothing super-special about that.

Two, Guatemala is NOT South America. It's Central America, about as far north as you can get since it borders Mexico - and it's also a nation that's largely been shut out of CONCACAF competition on all levels. A Guatemalan team has never won a CCL knockout series (or even a CCL knockout match IIRC), and this is their first year in the CL as well. Their men's NT has a grand total of 2 win in all Gold Cups since 2000 (and hasn't even qualified for several recent Gold Cups).

I mean, full congrats to the Forge for their first advancements in continental competition, but I wouldn't be sounding the trumpets very much yet. If they can get past Olimpia, though, (or the Cavalry beat Montreal,) I will definitely accept their arrival.

From a competitive standpoint, I totally agree - I would fully expect a Canadian women's club team to do well in CONCACAF if just based on how well the CanWNT does in their competitions.

I do come back to the "pro" issue, though. If the league has people willing to bankroll it, then no worries - but Canada couldn't support their own women's pro hockey league. There wasn't enough attendance or sponsorship to fund a pro women's league in the country's #1 sport - so color me concerned that a pro women's league in a secondary or tertiary sport could pay good salaries and still survive.

I'm guessing that the CPL feels like it has the cash on its own, then, to support a women's CPL? Because if not, then they're being too ambitious.

7. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #7 Robert Borden, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    That's your opinion, but you're in the minority

Cavalry, with 1/10 of Vancouver's salary mass held their own and outclassed Vancouver in the 2nd leg. Both York9 and Cavalry, again with 1/10 or less the salary mass of Montreal (8th overall in MLS) held their own against the Impact, which was the Piatti show. That team is 1 injury away from drastically become utterly ordinary.

Stark contrast with USL Ottawa Fury getting utterly dominated by TFC B- team last night. So much about claiming that USL Championship was so superior to CPL that they shouldn't join it... They barely eliminated an average Halifax team plagued with injuries who had yet to play their main fully healthy XI up until last week.

Doesn't change that it did happen and that proves the talent of the league is real. Marc Dos Santos said that many players would fit in MLS, Remi Garde praised York and Cavalry. That's what happens when opportunities to play pro are created, we get a much more accurate measure of the current state of our pool.

My bad, I meant (central)

This isn't an MLS vs Guatemala thing. This is comparing a "3 months" old team/league vs. a 61 years old club that is the reigning D1 champion in Guatemala, besting teams like Comunicaciones FC & Municipal who indeed has CCL experience.

I know you didn't watch the game, but Forge completely shut them down in their own turf, down there in Central America. Best defending I've seen from a CPL team all year, never thought it was possible, hence most of Canada being stunned by the result.

The point isn't about Forge beating a giant, it's about Forge and CPL proving that they earned their D1 status and can compete in a CONCACAF tournament against other teams recognized as D1 in their own right...We've come a long way from people saying that CPL was D3 and lucky if it matched USL League One.

It's a good league that will only get better from here. This isn't about Forge or CPL being crowned as the new giants, it's about earning their D1 status and proving that they deserved to be in Continental tournaments

Your opinion and you have the right to minimize their accomplishments, but in the eyes of experts and most analyst (some of them, hardcore skeptics at first), the league has already arrived and overachieved for a 3 month old entity

That's comparing apples to oranges, the business models are league apart between the Women's hockey League and what CPL hopes to achieve.

Where they have a top to bottom approach for the men's side, they will adopt a bottom to top approach for the women's. L1O and PLSQ women's side are well established already, like they pointed out, this is the perfect starting point.

Limit the teams within the Quebec-Windsor Corridor (half of Canada population) to not have travel costs being a drain on resources and build it up from there.

With CPL, through CSB aiming to own the whole game in Canada, they would bundle all the media and sponsorship deals with the women's side, providing them access to exposure through the Onesoccer/MediaPro platform and a piece of the revenues being generated.

Lastly, the financial backing of this league is very solid and their strategy is sound on their approach to Women's soccer

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    My point was that similar salary arguments can be made any time a lower-division team competes with or even eliminates an MLS side in the US Open Cup. That's why it's not that special, no matter how old the league is.

Not arguing with any of that! But there's plenty of MLS-level talent in USLC too. (Maybe not in Ottawa, but that's one of many teams.)

I... wasn't making it MLS v Guatemala?

Fair point on the other stuff, though I've never been one to say CPL wasn't D1, simply because I view the situation as similar (though obviously not the same) as the Welsh PL vs the English PL. It's still D1. It just has to prove itself on the field, and I like my football statistics enough to say that a small handful of results is never enough to prove anything - especially since Guatemala simply isn't a good measuring stick because their clubs (and NT) have been so weak over the past two decades.

I'm not trying to minimize what they've done so far. All I'm saying is, right now, it's a splash. Consistent good performance - not a splash in just the first year - is what I like to see. I've seen enough leagues rise up and then fall within 3-7 years, both on and off the field, that I'm always going to be skeptical until staying power is proven.

Thanks for these answers, bold in particular! I hope it was clear in that section of my reply earlier that I was legitimately curious & concerned what they were planning to do differently. I love the USA-CAN WoSo rivalry and would be excited to see it manifest at the club level! If they've got the finances well-sorted out like that, I'm confident they should be able to stick around and pay fairly well. I wish them luck!

9. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    this would be only good for Canadians going to Canadian colleges(as the NCAA will not allow salaried foreigners other than travel expenses). Got the feeling this still will be a summer break(from college) league,

but good luck, maybe the US will learn from this new venture?

here in the states, it's like we got 8 thousand female collegiate soccer playing seniors every year who upon graduation, pretty much give up playing the game again, since (if your not at the very, very top) have really no place to go. I mean even the so called pro women's NWSL . has a starting salary of only $15K(compared to $50K for the men's MLS?) & only 9 teams to the MLS 24

10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Side thought: if the creation of a women's CPL pushes CONCACAF toward a women's CCL, I'll be even happier. UNCAF already has a sub-regional women's club championship, and clubs do exist down in the CFU; now that NWSL and LMXF seem pretty stable, getting that last big domestic league set up in Canada seems like the last hurdle. At the very least, I'd love to see a US-MEX-CAN club tournament, something like 2 WCPL, 2 LMXF, 2 NWSL, 2 US-lower-div.

jagum repped this.
  11. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    There was a discussion about the impact of the CPL on University players. This would most likely apply to a Women's CPL

12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  13. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    are there any competitive US lower-div leagues around? I mean, the WPSL & UWS shouldn't count since they only last 2 months & are mostly made out of college kids on their summer break.
    I hardly see the Mexican LMFX competing with the NWSL. it's compromised of mainly high schoolers, college age & older ones, but they got to be born in Mexico(whereas half their starters on the youth & senior NT's were usually born in the states)

14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Mostly, sure, but the teams that win their regions and especially the teams that win the championships are where past-college-age players that can't quite break into NWSL go. The leagues may overall be much weaker than NWSL but don't count out their best teams. Not to mention that it isn't uncommon for NCAA to get the occasional win against preseason NWSL squads.
    Similar to UWS/WPSL, you're right that LMFX is young, but the age limits have been bumping up each year so no one ages out of the league by roster rules alone, plus there are "overage" player rules that have also been increasing. That is, in year 1, the teams were U23 except for two overage players; now in its third year, the teams are U25 with six overage players. That's in theory more than half the starting lineups being over 23, so you can hardly call it a youth league any more. And don't forget to count out youth squads - like NCAA teams occasionally beating NWSL squads, the US U23 team has always played in Portland's preseason tournament and done respectably.

That said, the point of a NAFU tournament would be less to test NWSL squads (although it should happen with some frequency, as I've stated above) but more to see where LMXF and CWPL compare to the US system. I think they'd certainly be comparable to each other, and sit somewhere between NWSL and UWS/WPSL on overall strength.

15. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Lechus7 and sbahnhof repped this.
  16. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This sets the foundation for the Women's Premier League. This should put to rest speculation of a Canadian NSWL league.

17. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Recently, the CPL commissioner said that progress on a Women's League was at an advance stage, however contrarily from the men's pyramid being build from the top down (D1-->D3-->D2), the women's side will be built from D3 to D1. CPL has already purchased League 1 Ontario Women's League which is Division 3.

The national coach on USSF/CPL/CSA

sbahnhof, Lechus7 and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    FWIW, it sounds like NWSL will be changing its player salary rules very shortly - I'm guessing to allow for a rule similar to MLS' Designated Player rule - which might mean a slow phase-out of the allocation process in the coming years anyway.

I would love for the top Canadian players (as a group, instead of as individual DPs) to stay in NWSL, but as long as NWSL doesn't have a Canadian team, it'll be a harder and harder keep for any Canadian that's not at the level of being an NT starter.

sbahnhof and Lechus7 repped this.
  19. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Fan podcast episode last month covered the possible women's league:

Premier Podcast S02E51: The Other Half of Soccer @CPLPodcast (English)
    https://northernstartingeleven.com/...-the-other-half-of-soccer-cplpodcast-english/ (Archive)

No mention of the past Whitecaps allegations that Canada Soccer has downplayed so much, but then podcast man is like, "I want a full inquiry into abuse! ...in The Rest of Concacaf." :rolleyes: It's like, argh, you were so close.

SiberianThunderT repped this.