Canadian University Championship [R]

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Canadian_Supporter, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thread for the men and women.

The men's championship is hosted by Carleton at Keith Harris Stadium in Ottawa from Nov 7-10. I can only attend the final on Nov 10th. However, both the championships will be on Rogers Sportsnet. The men on Nov 10th at noon (live) and the women at 8pm on Nov 10th (tape delay).

Here is the mens championship website
    http://www.cisport.ca/champs/mens_soccer2002/

Womens championship website http://www.cisport.ca/champs/womens_soccer2002/

2. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How does the level of Canadian universities compare to their American counter parts?

3. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I have no idea, because I have only watched the US version. A few years ago, Queens (from Kingston) beat St Lawrence (Div III champions that year) 2-0. I don't think many Canadian university teams play their US counterparts.

4. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Québec Champions are McGill, edging out UdM on a sketchy early goal (header cleared off the line in mid-air), 1-0.

A UdM player got badly injured (and was squirting blood) at around 62'. He was taken to hospital by an ambulance.

5. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thanks for the update Daniel. How did McGill look? I hope the UdM player is okay...

6. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Following ethnic stereotypes, UdM was all individual play and flash, while McGill looked solid as a team.

Definitely a contender.

7. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  8. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Tournament starts today with two matches. The weather is cold, -5C, but it should be warming up to 10-14C by the weekend. Victoria is probably the favourite going into the tournament, in my opinion.

9. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I attended the men's final at Keith Harris Stadium today in Ottawa.

Brock 1 Carleton (Ottawa) 0
    - Brock scored the winning goal near the end of the first extra time period. Just before the goal, a Brock player hit the post and it rolled across the line.
    - Carleton hit the post twice in the first half, and really should have been up 2-0. Brock switched keepers (no injury) for the second half and brought in a 6'5 225lbs keeper!
    - The second half wasn't too interesting. Both teams had problems generating chances. It also started to ran in the second half.
    - Brock had much of the play in the first extra time and deserved to win.
    - About 1,000 people showed up.... I think...

Oh yeah, Crazy_Yank, the level wasn't too impressive. I know a few teams in the IIAC who wouldn't have a problem playing against Brock or Carleton.

10. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Saw some of the game on the TV. Yep, the level of play was crap and it looked like they were playing in a public park.

11. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Believe it or not, but the Canadian men's national team played on that public park back in 1989 against Belgium. KH stadium is also home to the Ottawa Fury. Here is an important question, is the public park better then Centennial in Toronto? ;)

That field is one of the options for an A-league team in Ottawa. Oz Optics field is much better, but it just needs more seating.

12. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

I'd say that Centennial in Toronto is better, judging from photographs. It's embarrasing to think that the mens national team played an international match there.

Just finished watching the second half of the womens University final from Alberta (damn it, why doesn't the TV times list these games?). What a poor place to hold a final, on a narrow frozen astroturf field with football markings all over the pitch.

13. JTPenney

JTPenney New Member

14. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thanks for the link.....