Canadian Soccer League (CSL)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Prosoccercdn, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The CSL has added 3 more teams for the 2015 season :

Brantford Galaxy return to CSL for 2015 season

http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/2014/12/30/brantford-galaxy-return-to-csl-for-2015-season

The CSL, which has been in operation for more than 80 years, has added three new teams for the 2015 season. Along with Brantford, the Toronto Atomic Selects and Milton F.C. have been granted franchises, bringing the total number of first division teams to 13.

2. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sigh...

The CSL was founded in 2006 (1998 if you want to include CPSL). Any claim to a prior history is as fake as the Whitecaps and Cosmos. Just because you took the same name as another league does not mean you share their history.

But regardless, I'm honestly curious.

As someone who knows Toronto but isn't from there, can anyone explain who the teams in the current CSL are?

It's an unsanctioned league whose refs and players are not recognized by FIFA, CSA or OSA. Most local accosiations have signed on with OSA's L1O or wish to do so in the near future.

So who is left?

Is it basically a house league?

4. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Its basically still operating at a similar level as it was previously as a sanctioned D3 Canadian league. Domestics and import players (Eastern Euro's and others). Their using some older refs who came in to help out for last season. Here's the link to their website :

http://canadiansoccerleague.ca/

10 teams last season and 3 more expansion teams this year including Brantford.

5. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    In addition to Brantford the other 2 new teams for 2015 are :

Toronto Atomic Selects
    Milton F.C.

So 13 teams in the CSL First Division for 2015.

6. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prosoccercdn repped this.
  7. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a complete outsider, does anyone know how much animosity exists between Serbian White Eagles and Toronto Croatia fan bases? I wouldn't imagine there'd be much these days, but with a little alcohol involved, you never know...

InsigneForBalonD'or repped this.
  8. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CSL Playoffs:

Sat Oct 10, 2015
    7:00pm
    #1 Serbian White Eagles -v- #8 London City, CSL-1, QF - Centennial Stadium

Sun Oct 11, 2015
    4:00pm, #4 Waterloo -v- #5 Toronto Atomic, CSL-1, QF - University of Waterloo, 200 University Ave W, Waterloo, ON N2L 3G1, Canada

6:00pm, #3 York Region Shooters -v- #6 Burlington, CSL-1, QF - St. Joan of Arc

7:00pm, #2 Toronto Croatia -v- #7 Milton, CSL-1, QF - Centennial Stadium

weekend of: Fri Oct 16, 2015
    (#1 remaining seed) -v- (#4 remaining seed), CSL-1, SF
    (#2 remaining seed) -v- (#3 remaining seed), CSL-1, SF

Sun Oct 25, 2015
    4:00pm, CSL-1, F - University of Waterloo, 200 University Ave W, Waterloo, ON N2L 3G1, Canada

CSL Second Division Playoffs:

Fri Oct 9, 2015
    8:00pm, #4 Burlington SC B -v- #5 Brantford Galaxy B, CSL-2, QF - Nelson Stadium

Sat Oct 10, 2015
    4:00pm, #1 Waterloo B -v- #8 Serbian White Eagles B, CSL-2, QF - University of Waterloo, 200 University Ave W, Waterloo, ON N2L 3G1, Canada

Sun Oct 11, 2015
    3:00pm, #3 Milton B-v- #6 Toronto Atomic B, CSL-2, QF - Jean Vanier Field

8:00pm, #2 York Region Shooters B -v- #7 Niagara United B, CSL-2, QF - St. Joan of Arc

weekend of: Fri Oct 16, 2015
    (#1 remaining seed) -v- (#4 remaining seed), CSL-2, SF
    (#2 remaining seed) -v- (#3 remaining seed), CSL-2, SF

Sun Oct 25, 2015
    1:00pm, CSL-2, F - University of Waterloo, 200 University Ave W, Waterloo, ON N2L 3G1, Canada

soccersubjectively and Prosoccercdn repped this.
  9. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First Division; seeded teams go four-for-four

Toronto Croatia [4-0] Milton
    Waterloo
    [2-0] Toronto Atomic
    York Region Shooters
    [4-2] Burlington
    Serbian White Eagles
    [1-0] London City

Sat Oct 17, 2015, 7:00pm, #1 Serbian White Eagles -v- #4 Waterloo, CSL-1, SF # Centennial Park, 256 Centennial Park Rd, Etobicoke, ON M9C 5N3, Canada

Sun Oct 18, 2015, 7:00pm, #2 Toronto Croatia -v- #3 York Region Shooters, CSL-1, SF @ Centennial Park, 256 Centennial Park Rd, Etobicoke, ON M9C 5N3, Canada

Sun Oct 25, 2015, 4:00pm, (#1 Serbian White Eagles -v- #4 Waterloo) -v- (#2 Toronto Croatia -v- #3 York Region Shooters), CSL-1, F @ University of Waterloo, 200 University Ave W, Waterloo, ON N2L 3G1, Canada

Second division; two upsets; the CSL continued its format of recent years, to have the highest-remaining-seed play the lowest-remaining seed

Milton B [6-0] Toronto Atomic B
    Waterloo B
    [5-0] Serbian White Eagles B
    Burlington B
    [0-1] Brantford Galaxy B
    York Region Shooters B
    [4-4, Niagara PK] Niagara United B

Sun Oct 18, 2015, 4:00pm, #1 Waterloo B -v- #7 Niagara United B, CSL-2, SF

Sun Oct 18, 2015, 7:00pm, #3 Milton B -v- #5 Brantford Galaxy B, CSL-2, SF

Sun Oct 25, 2015, 1:00pm, (#1 Waterloo B -v- #7 Niagara United B) -v- (#3 Milton B -v- #5 Brantford Galaxy B), CSL-2, F - University of Waterloo, 200 University Ave W, Waterloo, ON N2L 3G1, Canada

10. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    soccersubjectively repped this.
  11. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The article seems a bit more fair than that one-line statement, saying at most that suspicious activities have been found in betting (although at a grand scale), but was short of saying that actual fixing was done. And it relayed one story where a team supposedly had tried to score an own-goal, and the other team lined up to defend against that; even that piece included a response of, "To suggest it was a match-fixing situation is a pretty tall order."

ICSS statement on Canadian Soccer League
    ...noting early on that the report was not meant to be made public
    http://www.theicss.org/index.php/news/read/icss-statement-on-canadian-soccer-league

And you might wonder if the CSA is floating this trying to discredit (for some reason) the CSL, to pump up their newer regional leagues.

InsigneForBalonD'or repped this.
  12. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    I think its more likely that the betters (and other parties) involved in the previous match-fixing stuff realized that the window of opportunity was slowly closing on them and they just got greedy.

Should bode well for regional d3 leagues in the long run.

13. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    Everyone here is well aware the league is corrupt. Players are talking. It was no secret that there stuff happening before they were decertified by CSA and no surprise it's got worse. Only real surprise is that any betting agency would bets - or that anyone not in the loop about the outcome would be making bets. Who are these people losing enough money on bets in this league to make it profitable?!?

14. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #14 SJJ, Oct 17, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
    I've seen the rumors, also, but you can still ask that the people making the accusations produce a little better proof than rampant rumors. At least the USA produced actual charges against the FIFA crew; if Canada won't bring up real charges, maybe there isn't anything really there (or at least provable). The article implies that all authorities (RCMP, OPP, FIFA, CSA, Interpol, Europol, prime minister; how many more do you need) sort of gave a "who cares?" attitude.

And if such an article came out on the eve of any other league's championship game (SF games), it would be criticized as suspicious timing, at the least.

15. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    I don't think the CSA has the brains &/or cojones for that so of thing. Probably just coincidence, albeit odd timing...

I think the league was doomed to fail and this sort of thing was inevitable after the desanctioning of them by the CSA. I think even without this sort of news breaking it would only be a matter of time the league becomes entirely irrelevant.

While indeed an inter-provincial cup does not currently exist between the d3 leagues in ON and Que, it indeed will. Then you can expect broadcasting and some sort of interest. Eventually (few more years out) even a cinderella story of a d3 team making it to the finals of the V-cup.... cue the fat lady for the CSL.

I just want to know where I can place bets (over/under) on how much longer this league will be in existence.

Anyone help a guy out with that?

16. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that the CSA are a bunch of Mensa members, either. And I'll accept your thought that it was simply bad timing.

Some of your other points I brought up in the other "NEW Canadian D3 League Plan Endorsed by CSA" thread: that it is up to the CSA / provincial orgs to make these semi-pro leagues worthwhile to clubs. (An Ontario - Quebec championship was held last year, but from what I've seen it was just thrown together; haven't seen anything this year.)

And I wouldn't be surprised is the CSA is on its last legs, either. But there is a difference between a league folding, and another entity trying to put a stake through its heart. (At the best, maybe the CSA and CSL can try another reconciliation where the CSL clubs get invited into the L1O.)

17. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    I really don't think the CSL has anything to offer for that to even be considered at all.

While I don't know what happened to the inter-province stuff, and you're in the loop when it comes to the league out in BC. I do see it very promising that the CSA's plans are coming together somewhat. Larin will bring exposure to Sigma, as well as the fact that L10 brought a PDL team over is nothing but good news for the CSA.

Almost gives me hope that the proposed c-league might somehow work out....

Almost.

18. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
  20. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
  21. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if you haven't noticed, the CSL is down to eight teams, and a six-team second division. (L1Ont has just about killed this league off?)

CSL SET FOR MAY KICKOFF
    Apr 3
    Posted by Stan Adamson
    Eight teams will kickoff the 2016 Canadian Soccer League season the weekend of May 27
    http://canadiansoccerleague.ca/csl-set-for-may-kickoff/

fuzzx repped this.
  23. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Depends, does the CSL respond to traditional market pressure? What is their actual business model?

If it's things that relate to fans being interested in their product in any way, they would already be dead.

For example normally i'd say the CPL team in Hamilton would work against this new team, but I really don't know...

FootySkeptic repped this.
  24. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Anyone know why Toronto Croatia isn't taking part this year?

25. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    They left the CSL to form their own league: Lika Supergroup. It appears to be a youth orientated development league.