Canadian Soccer League 2011

Discussion in 'Canada' started by whyspotsonball, Jun 11, 2011.

1. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Ottawa isn't actually entering NASL until 2013 as I understand it, and given that Capital City are owned by a completely separate group from the NASL club, I think it's a safe bet that they'll be back in CSL for the next few seasons.

2. ottawasportsfan

Mar 18, 2005
    I have not been to many games do you know how there doing attedance wise?

3. CFL-fan

CFL-fan Member

May 1, 2006
    Maryland
    Any playoff updates?

I'm actually trying to find out results from the Reserve league playoffs.

I know Brampton defeated York 3-2 and Mississauga defeated Brantford 4-2.
    It also appears Niagara defeated Kitchner-Waterloo but I have no score.
    No idea of the result of the SC Toronto - TFC Academy quarterfinal.

The two missing matches were to have been played 10/8.

Can anyone help.

4. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Reserve League Final: http://canadiansoccerleague.com/newsnet/templates/?a=424&z=5

That's all I can find but have a go at the web site if you like. I've had no luck.
    To give you an idea of the state of their web site, the leading scorer statistics are from 2010.

5. CFL-fan

CFL-fan Member

May 1, 2006
    Maryland
    Thanks, I found the quarterfinal results.

I also have one of the semi-final results and the final, but it appears TFC Academy II decided not to play Brampton City Utd B in the other semi.

BTW, did you notice on the schedule that there is still one regular season game to be played in the first division. North York and TFC Academy have a scheduled match on November 5.

6. whyspotsonball

Apr 9, 2007
    midwest
    I want to thank Toronto Croatia and the CSL for a great year. My son played NCAA at Indiana University and graduated, got a job and was sent to Toronto. He had the opportunity to play for Croatia and was thrilled to end up at National Champion!!! Thanks CsL

7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice for your son.

But I like the National champions part.

I guess we (the USA) are not the only ones that claim "World Champions" even when no countries outside the USA and Canada participate in our leagues. :D

8. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yes, this is true. Thankfully the Stanley Cup champs don't seem to refer to themselves as World Champions to often anymore.

A couple of years ago, I was attending the reserve final watching TFC Academy versus somebody I don't recall. The other team won. The in-house announcer referred to them as ..... "The Canadian Champions of the Canadian Soccer League Reserve Division".

All I could do was shake my head in disbelief.

9. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    There are some extremely good teams and players in the CSL. The quality would shock many Americans...

10. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Oh, boy! We brought up Americans as "World Champions"! The history buff in me gets to come out and play!

In baseball: It's called "The World Series" not because it's the worldwide championship, but because it was originally sponsored by a newspaper from New York called "The World". Imagine a similar thing for NHL in Toronto, and we'd have had "The Globe Championship". :p

/history buff

11. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The New York World thing turned out to be a myth. People use it to attempt to justify the monikre but you can read more here:

http://www.snopes.com/business/names/worldseries.asp

12. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  13. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I disagree entirely. Every American soccer fan with enough sense to count to 6 has heard and seen evidence that the game is exceptionally well played in many countries all over the world. Canada is no exception.

I've had my issues with the CSL as its not a real Canadian league, so far as it is an Ontario based league. I know they must have a vision and a plan but it seems a touch pretentious to call it the CSL. That being said, I'm very confident of the ability of the players and the fact the league has been around in one form or another for 60+ years.

One thing I always like about the NHL was the institution of the Stanley Cup. Its not the NHL Championship, its the Stanley Cup. If you win the World Series you keep your trophy. They make a new one every year. If you win the NBA, you keep your trophy and they cast a new one for the next year.

But the Stanley Cup is different. You win that and its the same cup that Gretzky held, or the NY Islanders held, or the Red Wings lifted. You know, it just adds to the event.

14. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Toronto Croatia is quite the club with a lot of tradition. You really want to impress people tell them your son plays for the same club that the legendary Eusebio won an NASL championship with.

15. whyspotsonball

Apr 9, 2007
    midwest
    Thanks I will!!

16. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It was announced today that London City Soccer Club has been sold to Hamilton-based ownership.

17. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    London City has been in a bad way for a long time.

Perhaps somebody else will step up and start a new program in London, completely broken from the strained past.

18. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The club aren't leaving town, they're just owned by somebody from Hamilton.

19. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

We'll see.

20. MrVillan

MrVillan Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    There's no reason to buy London City and move them to Hamilton.

They just flat out don't have any players and/or management that you'd want to move that you couldn't lure away from them the old fashioned way. Plus with Hamilton Croatia joining with Milltown FC to start up that new semi-pro D3 league, the city's territorial rights are probably wide open again.

What's probably more worrying for the CSL is that a CSA audit found that the only teams in the league meeting the D3 standards were York Region Shooters and Impact Acadamy (with TFC Academy exempted).

21. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We already have, it was confirmed when they announced the sale.