Canadian Premier league

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mikehurst21, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I speculated bus shuttles because Cavalry said they would arrange for shuttle buses from the Calgary LRT station straight to the stadium. York should do the same for their North York fanbase as it takes a while to get to the rumored Kirby & Keele location by transit from Vaughan Station.

However, we all know that fans within York Region will all drive to the stadium.

2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless I'm reading a map wrong.. BMO is less than half a kilometer from the GO station... Now, admittedly, GO is not the subway system, but Union station is 4km away and there are multiple transfers that go directly from Union station to Exhibition station with minimal wait times. You're also talking about relying upon an existing multi-modal system that people are already used to using..

3. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #2003 Robert Borden, Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Torontonians don't use GO within the city of Toronto. They would mostly arrive with the 29 Dufferin bus or the 510 & 509 streetcars. Transit during game times are usually quite challenging.

As a North York resident, it would take me around 1h30 to get to a TFC game. York University stadium would take me around 30-35 minutes. It's convenient to North Yorkers and I think York 9 knew that.

4. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    CPL had announce it's intention of starting a Premier league for women. Seems like Valour has already started working towards it.

5. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    #2005 crazypete13, Aug 8, 2018
    This was handled with a bus depot type structure (not unlike the CNE streetcar loop, but better designed) and an armada of buses available at the game end. The round trip was 10-15 minutes, so the wait wasn't horrible. Nothing like the 45-60 minutes I wasted in a queue to catch a train from Wembley back to central London.
    Of course the devil is in the details - and it's the TTC running these I'd be even more skeptical (they use regular service from CNE and Dufferin loops, sigh). If Viva/York9 can get their act together - it can work.
    It makes sense to run these shuttles from a number of places in on line 1 and the Barrie line to facilitate all the public transit to the stadium. Both York University and Pioneer Village stations act as southern Viva transit junctions with Line 1, and regional rail to Maple, Rutherford and possibly Downsview Park could work depending on the stadium location. Obviously, a fair number of people will want to drive, since we are talking about York Region.

Anyway - here's a YRT map for reference. The location at Teston and Keele would be a the northern end closest to Maple GO station and a fair distance for shuttles from line 1, as the proposed Kirby GO station is at the far northern reaches of that map (10km from York U) - but since the location isn't finalized this is all speculation.

6. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    #2006 crazypete13, Aug 8, 2018
    Yes we do, but the fare structure is not ideal. I regularly ride the Kitchener and Lakeshore West lines, as well as the UP and these are used by Toronto commuters and people going to TFC games. Also, the 510 is the Spadina Car, I think you meant 511/504/514 which service King St and Dufferin/Exhibition loops.

7. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry. I should have said multiple modes that go from the various subway stations to Exhibition station. I did not intend to imply that GO was the only option. That being said, maybe they should use GO, it looks like they'd save about 10 minutes taking the GO train over the streetcars. There's also the 511 from Bathurst station. 510 seems like a bad choice tho as it leaves you with a 2km walk compared to the 509/511/514, 29C, and 121 that leave you with a half KM or less.

That's true of transit pretty much everywhere alas, particularly post game when you can have thousands dumping out of the stadium at the exact same time.
    That's certainly fair. But again, we're talking about a start-up team in a start-up league that will be fielding inferior players to TFC, who also have an 11 year head start on them...

crazypete13 repped this.
  8. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying it will be a failure. Just that they are making it harder than it would be if they just waited 2 seasons and started up in 2021 compared to 2019. That's something that seems supported by the low membership numbers for York9 that you posted a few weeks ago.

If you're talking about using existing bus routes and the like, that's a different bailiwick entirely. To which, I say, please ignore my previous comments.

9. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    There's been discussions about cancelling the extra fair for trips within Toronto on the GO. However, since the Conservatives under Doug Ford won the election, that's unlikely to happen. My bad, it is the 511 Bathurst Streecar not the 510 and yes the 514 gets close.

Cheaper, closer and good football. It will draw if their marketing works. I don't like your use of "inferior" as both league will have different quotas/restrictions. I agree that TFC can't be matched in terms of foreign talent acquisition, but I disagree that the Canadian content will be night and day between MLS and CPL. I think it will be much closer.

Mind you, TFC has looked pretty poor once you remove their DPs and foreign talent. They aren't the masterpiece to look at when they have incomplete pieces in their line up. Missing the playoffs this year would deflate some of the enthusiasm they worked so hard to achieve in the last 2 seasons. I think North York is fair game for both organizations for soccer.

But whatever, Tavares with the Maples Leafs and Leonard with the Raptors already reestablished the status quo in Toronto sport scene... All summer long it was all about the Leafs and Raptors.

10. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    #2010 crazypete13, Aug 8, 2018
    It's hard to split out the people in Toronto taking the GO, but as transit goes it does make sense for people already on the Lakeshore GO corridor.. The frequency of the TTC beats the trip duration unless you are already on the Lakeshore lines. The UP/Kitchener line, which have the fastest connections still require a trip through Union station. Best I can do from Dundas West/Bloor GO to Exhibition is about 20-25 minutes - which is within the time frame for the 504 plus a walk to the stadium from King St. The big difference is the cost and headways - the 504 is <5mins and both the UP/Lakeshore West are at best 15 minute headways. GO fare is $5.30($4.71), whereas TTC fare is $3.25($3.00) - combined fare (using both systems) is $8.55($6.21) - cash(with Presto).

11. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it a single fare between the subway system and streetcar? If so, big thumbs up to TTC. ;) King Country Metro would make you pay a fair for each mode.

crazypete13 repped this.
  12. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think another reason to start early was that they wanted to plant their flag as soon as possible on York Region and avoid an unnecessary competition with TFC II who could have facilitate the promotion of TFC in the region. (They really didn't try at all the entire time)

Vancouver Whitecaps said it themselves that one of the reasons for folding their Whitecaps II team was due to the imminent arrival of CPL on the lower mainland.

13. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Yes it is, bus, streetcar, subways are a single fare and you can transfer between modes without additional costs.

Yoshou repped this.
  14. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If York9 can't beat TFCII, they don't deserve to have a team.. Even if they wait 2 years.

It wasn't necessarily because of the competition, but rather because the Whitecaps thought they would be able to use the Surrey team as their 2 team and that WFC2 would be redundant. There was also the 5k seat requirement and the Whitecaps not wanting to move the team into Swangard when they don't fill Thunderbird's 3.5k.

15. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    As you said, why make it hard er than it needs to be? Starting in North York is actually very smart.

Why wait 2-3 years when you don't have to?

16. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

17. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

18. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    CPL commissioner David Clanachan looks ahead to 2019 inaugural season and beyond
    http://canpl.ca/video/cpl-commissio...oks-ahead-to-2019-inaugural-season-and-beyond
    • 8 teams for 2019 and the announcement of 2 expansion teams for 2020 prior to the April 2019 launch
    • Now talking with over a "dozen" of locations on top the 8 launching teams. Some of these cities and region have less than 100k
    • The biggest obstacle isn't ownership, fans, demand, local governments...it's stadiums
    • CPL is looking at a solution like building pop up stadiums like Phoenix Rising (6 200 seats) as a blueprint for phase 1 for stadiums. They are cheap and expandable depending on future demand
    • New goal: 26 clubs by 2026. At that point, CPL would split into 2 Divisions to create 2 national leagues with Pro/Rel like EPL & Championship
    Speculating
    • New expansion teams would have to start at D2 level. The 3 MLS teams would have to be exempted if they join in the future
    • To make such a bold announcement and the wording of the article means that all 22+ ownerships who approached the league (including the starting 8) must have passed the league requirement except stadiums
    • The league is willing to work some kind of financing scheme/formula to help build the "phase 1" stadiums leaving ownership to just having to focus on land. The wording suggest that the league would take the league on the stadium file for new applicants who requires the expertise.
    • 2026 is the key date. They are piggybacking on the hype of hosting 2026 and a 2022 qualification would just trigger a bigger interest in soccer sooner, hence helping the league meet their attendance, sales, sponsorship and viewership targets.
    • The league must have realized that only on the absolute "high" if having hosted the world cup, that there would be no better moment than right there to have Canadians buy in into pro/rel and following Division 2. They must be betting that more cities will want to bid for a club at D2 level.
    • I think they activate Division 2 once they seem it full & acquire through the CSA League 1 Ontario and PLSQ (Quebec) and create the CHL of soccer. I would think that new bids at this point must enter D3. (Except the 3 MLS clubs of course.) That would signal the end of PDL in Canada.
    The logic is sound to me

19. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    What would the equivalent of PDL be in this scenario? PDL serves an entirely different purpose. It's a summer league for college players to remain match fit in the long college off-season.

20. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #2020 Robert Borden, Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    That would be the Canadian D4:
    The Challenge Trophy
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Challenge_Trophy

However, I'm sure some of them would find their way in D3 like some of them already do

21. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Are we talking about different PDLs?

I don't see what the Challenge Trophy has to do with it. PDL is like summer wood bat league, D3 would be Single A: they serve different player pools, because you can't be in college and single A.

22. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You were asking for an equivalent and since PDL is US D4, Senior provincial leagues are D4 in Canada and the champions of each province meets for that cup. Those leagues run from May to September.

Another scenario is what happened in Ontario to PDL clubs.* The Ontario Soccer Association (extension of the CSA) gave a year notice to ALL of them to leave PDL except Thunder Bay Chill and to join League 1 Ontario. KW United folded and the rest joined. Perhaps the PDL clubs in the rest of Canada could be forced into D3 tier.

I don't know if it's forbidden for a CIS player to play in a D3 club in the summer in Canada. CIS isn't like the NCAA and I think some of them did play in D3 in the summer then resumed school.

*Winking at those skeptical of the CSA power.

Let me know if I still got your question wrong

23. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    CIS doesn't have a prohibition against athletes playing against pros. Their whole CHL program is predicated on providing a path for former CHL players(technically pro) to be CIS student athletes.

24. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s probably worth noting that NCAA allows High Schoolers to play with and against professional players. With the exception of hockey players (where there is an appeal process), they just can’t have signed a professional contract.

25. Impactsupporter

Impactsupporter New Member

May 18, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    The problem I see is what about the travel costs, especially for cities and regions with less than 100k pop. that would have to travel coast to coast.

Seems ambitious I hope these clubs have been vetted to ensure that the ownerships are stable, the fan bases are sustainable.