Canadian Premier league

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mikehurst21, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    There are many ways it could be done. Putting the CPL champion in phase one would make the most sense for an untested league with the salary projections that the CPL has.

As to what Canada wants, that does have to be balanced against the rest of the federation, Montagliani or not.

2. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    CPL Salary will most likely eclipse most of the region's league except Mexico LIga MX, US MLS, Costa Rica top league

Looking at our overall club coefficient and past results, Canada indeed deserves a second Champions League spot. It's the CSA officially requesting that 2nd berth. CONCACAF will evaluate the request based on Canada's performance overall which everyone agrees has been nothing short than overachieving in all metrics.

It's just that it is expected that the CSA will give it to CPL.

3. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I can certainly see the CSA giving the spot to the CPL as opposed to, say, the Canadian Championship runner up.

Based on the CCL co-efficient, yes, Canada deserves a second spot. We are currently ranked fourth behind three Mexican teams on that basis. On the other hand, it would not be accurate to assume that the CPL teams will perform as well as the MLS teams have. So in that sense using the co-efficient wouldn't be a fair measure as to whether a second spot is deserved.)

(Since the CCL co-efficients are based on slots, if the CPL champion is granted a slot, I could easily see Canada's two spots ending up with widely different co-efficients. I'd expect our Canadian Champion slot to stay roughly where it is but our CPL slot to end up considerably lower.)

4. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well, to that I could say the same regarding MLS having 4 spots despite being utterly dominated most of the time by Mexican clubs, same for Caribbean clubs some Central American clubs.Fairness has little to do with it while co-efficient would just be used to make the argument that Canada deserves a second spot. Besides, that co-efficient is based on passed manipulated tournament seeding anyways.

Of course, no one expects CPL clubs to perform like the top league at first or every time but never say never. Montreal as a USL team outlasted most of MLS sides, defeated TFC at the Canadian Championship and looked stronger against Santos Laguna than Huston did against Atlante... all that with a Canadian heavy roster. So... we never know... but I doubt they'll be more out of place than some Caribbean or Central American clubs that have been in the tournament the entire time

5. SamKnight

SamKnight Member+

Los Angeles Football Club
    United States
    Aug 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    You guys should just get Belize's spot they don't deserve a straight spot and have always had trouble meeting stadium requirements. They should just compete in for a spot in the CCC.

6. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Valour FC
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Population: ~800k (metro area)

Venue: The new soccer club will play out of Investors Group Field, which will feature a FIFA-standard turf pitch for all Valour FC home games.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ownership:
    Wade Miller, President & CEO of the Winnipeg Football Club
    The club is a corporation without share capital. No person or entity owns the team.

Name:The Valour FC name and emblem symbolize the valour shown in the story of three brave Winnipeg soldiers who demonstrated immense courage and heroism during the World War I. The men, who all lived on the same street which was later renamed Valour Road, were awarded the Victoria Cross – the highest military recognition for honour and bravery.

The Valour FC crest draws its inspiration from the Victoria Cross medal, with a ‘V’ emulating a folded ribbon wrapped by the shape of a maroon medal.

The logo and crest are truly Manitoban, with the centre of the ‘V’ representing the geographical meeting point of the Red River and Assiniboine River – a location that has long defined this city. The right side of the ‘V’ also creates a ‘W’ – for the city of Winnipeg.

The arc of wheat at the top of the crest symbolizes the thriving agriculture industry that has been a mainstay in the province and has grown into an iconic Manitoban symbol.

The club’s official colours are “Valour Maroon”, “Wheat Gold”, and “Earth Black”, representing the honour and heritage commonly associated with the prairies.

More info on Valour FC
    http://valourfc.canpl.ca/

7. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This adds weight to my posts regarding the fact that ultimately, the CSA has the last say on what goes on in Canada.
    1004462093335064576 is not a valid tweet id

8. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Clues points to St.John's Newfoundland quietly moving closer to CPL. King George V stadium is CPL ready as soon as the turf is changed. The ownership group seems to be already in place.

[​IMG]

9. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Sounds like CPL is off to a great start. Edmonton & Winnipeg are way ahead of them btw

10. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    [​IMG]

FC Edmonton are in. I am a big fan of the rabbit footprints in the new crest.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  11. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

FC Edmonton
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Population: ~1.3M (metro area)

Venue: FC Edmonton has confirmed that it will continue to play out of Clarke Stadium. The club continues to have positive discussions with the City of Edmonton on upgrades and an expansion plan for the stadium to comply with CPL standards.

Ownership: FC Edmonton is owned and operated by the Fath Group headed up by Tom and Dave Fath. Jay Ball will lead operations of FC Edmonton as General Manager.

Identity: The shape of the new shield is derived from the City of Edmonton’s Coat of Arms, which is a symbol of the community’s history and strength. The top of the shield evokes the blue sky of the Prairies against the North Saskatchewan River represented in the lower segment of the shield.

The rabbit footprints are in tribute to the club’s infamous Rally Rabbit — FC Edmonton’s sporadic visitor and their symbol of good luck. 2010 is a reference to when the club was first launched for Edmontonians by the Fath family.

The club’s official colours are “Prairie Blue Sky”, “River City Navy” and “Rabbit White”. They represent the Northern Alberta sky, the flow of the North Saskatchewan River, and the resiliency and magic that inspires the club when the rally rabbit randomly takes the pitch at Clarke Stadium.

More info on FC Edmonton
    http://fcedmonton.canpl.ca/

12. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clanachan confirmed that the CPL wants to add a second division once the current league reaches 12-14 teams They are aiming to have a second division by 2026

13. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    18A2B12B-EDF1-4ECE-949B-4C144505F668.png A89961BB-23F3-4B69-A0A8-8D66B23290EE.png D0B87D1F-8E90-48FE-B810-521F5A610282.png 52F51780-ABFC-4164-8718-B7C0A8A58136.png 381F8E3C-53EE-49A3-A64C-091BFA725F3F.png So here are the crests of the 5 clubs already officially announced

SiberianThunderT and Robert Borden repped this.
  14. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #1664 Robert Borden, Jun 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    Big PRO/REL News

Seems that CPL will activate Division II in 2026 even if they don't reach 16 teams by 2026. They currently have 22 applications on their desks and some city might be deemed too small for Division I. That could explain the haste to start D2 if they already identify enough cities that could qualify for D2

Clarification on league structure
    Teams pay a fee to join CPL. However, they are independent and retain IP. Unlike MLS, teams will own the contracts, not the league.

15. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    I don't see how they can make such small divisions. The only thing I can think of is that they plan to bring in a whole bunch of teams at once and make maybe two East-West Div 2 conferences to lessen the amount of travel on the newer, smaller div 2 clubs. Some clubs might be happy just playing at that level (maybe some of the L1O and PLSQ teams would join?), but those with more ambition will have an avenue to higher play.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  16. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    If they ultimately want pro/rel (which they apparently do) then they have to put it on the table now. They can't have people buy in to a first division club and then later say, "By the way, you could get relegated."

Beyond that, any talk of pro/rel is getting ahead of the game. Let's get a first division up and running successfully first. Then they can sort out how to come up with more teams, how to determine who gets shifted in divisions, and what to do about D2 teams from cities too small to support D1.

17. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  18. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh.. I would guess that cities too small to support D1 would be stuck in D2 just because they don't have the resources to afford players good enough to get promoted. Even if they do get promoted, it likely won't last long and it gives the fans the carrot they need to keep supporting the team even if it is D2 most of the time.

artml repped this.
  19. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I don't think they're going to have to worry about D2 for a long time. Even if they get 12 or 14 D1 teams firmly established (which will be hard enough) it doesn't suddenly open up another 10 or 12 markets at that level. I don't see enough markets for two tiers of fully national play in - well, I'm not going to say never, but for a long time.

Chastaen repped this.
  20. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonna agree, let's get D1 going before worrying about who will be D2. I'd like to get an idea on season ticket prices for the first year before debating which small towns will make up the fodder.

21. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Burnaby, BC ~238k
    Richmond, BC ~227k
    Abbotsford-Mission area, BC ~180k
    Kelowna Metro Area, BC ~194k
    Windsor, ON ~344k
    St.Catherines-Niagara Falls, ON ~406k
    Guelph, ON ~150k
    Oakville / Halton Region, ON ~548k
    Brampton, ON ~593k
    Mississauga, ON ~721k
    Barrie, ON ~197k
    Scarborough, ON ~632k
    North York ON ~672k
    Etobicoke, ON ~365k
    Oshawa (Durham Region), ON ~645k
    Kingston, ON ~161k
    Gatineau, QC ~332k
    Laval, QC ~422k
    Longueuil / South Shore, QC ~750k
    Sherbrooke, QC, ~212k

Hard to believe they won't have a functional 16 teams Tier 2 post 2030s. Cities not on the list like Saguenay, QC was reported this morning to have reach out to CPL for a club. The region is around 300k people. Tier 2 having less restrictive requirements should in theory attract more bids.

22. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    The first thing is that the CPL talks about D2 as a national level league. It isn't clear to me that the minimum requirements for a market are really any different than for D1 (especially if there's the chance to be promoted). You're still going to need an average of at least 5000 fans to support that level of soccer.

Second, when I look at your proposed list, what I see is a bunch of places that are too small to draw 5000 fans and another bunch of places that are actually, for sports purposes, Vancouver, Montreal, and Toronto (which I know we disagree about).

Once we've taken away the top ten or twelve markets for D1, I just don't see enough remaining, viable markets to make up a national level D2 league.

23. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    According to current numbers for season tickets deposits so far, I think time will prove you wrong. My D2 list have cities bigger than Halifax which is looking like a sell out for every games.

CPL being a success will draw even more interest in a "Canadian D2 league" in smaller markets.

24. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Obviously it remains to be seen whether or not your prediction is correct, but I don't think comparing a suburban area's population to a city with a defined core and identity is particularly relevant.

25. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    The ones on the list that are bigger than Halifax are just parts of metro areas. I don't see TFC and York and Mississauga and Brampton and Etobicoke and Scarborough and Oakville and North York all having teams. I therefore don't see enough large markets for a full slate of D2 teams.

As you say, however, time may prove me wrong and this is one case where I'd be happy to be wrong.