Canadian Premier league

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mikehurst21, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    On the fringes of the city indeed, though it is located near the intersection of two major highways.

2. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's not ideal but I understand why that location was picked.

The owners owns the entire place, so they don't really have to deal with the city to build their own thing and they have lots of space to expand.

Also, Spruce Meadows has a solid track record at getting people to go away from the core for their events. I'm thinking that from the marketing point of view, they should know what they are doing on that front. There are opportunities to get existing customers to try football while Millenials are expected to embrace CPL.

Calgary, from what I've heard is still pretty much a car city, people will just drive to the edge of the city to watch a game, just like most fans drive to go see the Stampeders of the CFL who are closer to the core. That wouldn't fly in Montreal or Toronto but the location won't make or brake the team in Calgary. The city could at anytime implement shuttles or Express bus services for game day. (Most cities boosts transit service for events such as these)

They are so far the projected richest group of ownership in the league ($2.3B net worth), that's richer than the Molsons (Montreal Canadians) and Eugene Melnyk (Ottawa Senators). If CSEC ever gets a deal for their mega sport complex downtown and location was an issue, I don't see why they would want to have a soccer facility downtown as well as they certainly have the mean to pay for it if that was deemed necessary at some point.

This is CPL 1.0 after all

3. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

All they need is a group of ownership and they could start very fast. The 10k stadium already exists and is ready to go. Halifax-Moncton would make for one hell of a rivalry.

Moncton Stadium during the Women's World Cup in 2015
    [​IMG]

4. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    crazypete13 repped this.
  6. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #1556 Robert Borden, May 11, 2018
    Last edited: May 11, 2018
    York 9 FC
    [​IMG]
    York Region population:
    ~over 1.2M

Temporary venue: York University stadium (They will add seats to bring capacity to 10k)
    Toronto, Ontario (North York)

Permanent venue: 12 to 15k stadium to be built in Vaughan within the next 3 years

Ownership: Carlo Baldassarra (Chairman and CEO, Greenpark Group)
    sports executive Preben Ganzhorn (President, York Sports and Entertainment)
    former Toronto FC player and executive Jimmy Brennan (EVP and Director of Soccer, York Sports and Entertainment).

Name: The York 9 name represents the nine municipalities that comprise the York region north of Toronto: Vaughan, Newmaket, Markham, Richmond Hill, King, Aurora, Whitchurch-Stouffville, East Gwillimbury and Georgina.

The club also unveiled its logo and its colours: charcoal grey, electric green and black.

More info on York 9 FC
    http://canpl.ca/article/york-9-football-club-joins-canadian-premier-league

7. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Unconfirmed but everything points to the Canadian Premier League regular season to be 28 games long between April and October. There are dates set aside for potential international friendlies and Canadian Championship games

8. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  9. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm a bit surprised that they'll do 28 games. I thought that maybe they'd just do 21 in the first year with a summer Gold Cup break.

10. Gaslight

Gaslight New Member

FC Toronto
    Canada
    May 13, 2018
    Greetings! I try to post this on CanPL reddit page but for some reason I couldn't because I'm new there. Now I'm posting this here and I would very much like to know what do you guys think about all this what I write about CanPL.

I'm young screenwriter from Croatia, member of "Berlinale Talents". https://www.berlinale-talents.de/bt/talent/stipe-karabatic/profile I'm interested in many things, one of them is popularity growth of soccer in north America. I think that I'm very creative person so I have some ideas what you can use for your CanPL if you are interested. This ideas are couple. Names for the clubs. What to put on coat of arms. Type of color for jersey. Some other things also, so let me start.

I think it would be very interested to make one tournament what is little similar like supercup in European leagues. That means winner of CanPL plays against winner of Canadian Championship. They play one game always on field of CanPL regular season champion. That's how you determine who is champion of Canada. Let's call this tournament Canada Champions Cup. If same team wins CanPL and Canadian Championship then it's plays on their field against all-star team of CanPL. If that team wins that game then club is reworded with star on their jersey above the coat of arms. So every star what club gets permanently stays on their jersey on every national game. When one day club wins Copa Libertadores then it puts all the stars what it have on jersey and for international games. (This originally I made up thinking about USA soccer (no PRO/REL) to determine who is real champ of USA but there is no reason that this you implement in CanPL. I think if CanPL don't get the spot for CONCACAF Champions League you should go for Copa Libertadores. In Europa they have play-off, it's called Champions League. If USA and Canada teams start to play in Copa Libertadores I think you will get something very similar. Except for popularity growth of soccer in Canada I don't think is good idea to bid for World Cup together with USA and Mexico. In other countries government finance soccer specific stadiums what are build for world cup. I think it would be better that Canada make bid alone and build 12-18 soccer specific stadiums with retractable roof. Maybe it could be finance together by government, owners of clubs, FIFA and cities who will give free land in downtown area. I'm not sure is it against rules of FIFA but I think it would be a good thing to make in CanPL penalties if the match finish 0-0. The winner of penalties gets one point, defeated team gets nothing. I think it's a good thing because audience it's not happy if they didn't see no goal. It's was similar rule at Yugoslavian league in the 80s so I think it should pass the FIFA rules. I'm not sure how others think about it but I would love that every team in CanPL have number of year when it's founded on their coat of arms. I think is very imported for teams to be loved to have a nice jersey. I think that one of the reason why Seattle Sounders are so popular is their beautiful jersey. Few years ago I play Pro Evolution. I create my own team. So I create and jersey. It had beautiful red color. I think I could reply that same type of red color and it would be excellent suit for one of your teams. Here are some names what I believe can suit for the clubs in Canadian Premier League;

Working Class Football Club Saskatoon - WCFC Saskatoon (I heard somewhere there is many good workers in Saskatchewan so I think it would be great suit for them)
    FC Andromeda Winnipeg (put on their coat of arms state of Manitoba map with all those lakes in combination with stars)
    FC Atlantic St. John's
    FC Orion London
    FC Milky Way Regina

There are more names what comes to my mind what you can give to any team like; Liberty, Pacifist, Ever Last, Infinity, Royal. That's all for me now. All the best!

11. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This would be the best place to voice your opinions and ideas

http://canpl.ca/contact/

12. Gaslight

Gaslight New Member

FC Toronto
    Canada
    May 13, 2018
    Thank you on your answer Robert. Week ago I all ready sent e-mail on that contact address and I didn't get no response. So now I decide to put what I write to this forum and reddit to heard what people think about my ideas. Greetings!

13. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    996184373937491969 is not a valid tweet id

14. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's for the best I think for the league to have the most match as possible. The league said they would respect international dates whenever possible.

15. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  16. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    996221988485021696 is not a valid tweet id

17. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  18. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    A bit surprised that there's no sign of Fury joining up. I thought they'd be among the first to tap in.

19. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Since they are still playing in USL, it's understandable that they would make as little noise as possible about leaving. Most sources expect Ottawa in CPL as of 2019. I'd be shocked if they weren't.

20. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Don't know if his is true or not, but he'd be one of the first guys I'd choose as a manager.

I bet Steve Hart ends up as the manager in Halifax.

21. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  22. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #1572 Robert Borden, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Cavalry FC
    [​IMG]

Population: ~over 1.4M

Temporary venue: Cavalry FC will play out of the renowned Spruce Meadows equestrian complex. Renovations to existing facilities at Spruce Meadows will result in a new soccer-specific stadium with an additional 5,000 seats featuring a world-class grass pitch along with top tier training facilities.

Permanent venue: Calgary, depending on the success of the club and overall demand

Ownership: Cavalry FC is owned and operated by Spruce Meadows Sports & Entertainment – a division of Spruce Meadows Ltd.

The club is led by sports executives Linda Southern-Heathcott (Chair & CEO, Spruce Meadows Sports & Entertainment) and Ian Allison (President & COO, Spruce Meadows Sports & Entertainment).

Former professional player Tommy Wheeldon Jr. will join Spruce Meadows Sports & Entertainment as General Manager and Head Coach for Cavalry FC.

Name: The Cavalry FC name and crest recognize the history and pageantry of its home, Spruce Meadows, and also pays tribute to the city’s military legacy and geographic location. The chevron found at the centre of the crest is a nod to both the Canadian Army’s armoured regiment, Lord Strathcona’s Horse (Royal Canadians), and the Alberta Foothills and Rocky Mountains near Calgary. The football on the crest is a salute to soccer’s history and bright future in Southern Alberta.

The club’s official colours are “Army Green”, “Calgary Red” and “Black on Black”. The colour green is representative of the foothills and Spruce Meadow’s immaculate green lawns, while red represents Calgary’s proud sports identity. Both red and green also feature prominently on the regimental flag of Lord Strathcona’s Horse (Royal Canadians).

More info on Cavalry FC
    http://canpl.ca/article/cavalry-football-club-joins-canadian-premier-league

23. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  24. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

25. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Glad to see Calgary in.

The league is now oh for two on cool team names and logos, though.

crazypete13 repped this.