Canadian Premier league

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mikehurst21, Feb 3, 2016.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    A user has made their own coefficients for CONCACAF based on the UEFA method, but I'm fairly certain there are no official CONCACAF coefficients. Hence why we've seen some allocations from the central American nations change willy-nilly.

2. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Maybe once the President of the CSA has established his new league he can get in touch with the President of CONCACAF to have a meeting to discuss extra spots. It should not be hard for them to find a moment in their schedules when they are both available.

3. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    It would most definitely get heated, but which team do you think would have better quality in the long run: A team from Canada, or a team from the CFU Club cup? Canada would have to take the position either from that competition (They have 3 and they're pretty much always minnows) or from one of the spots from El Salvador or Guatemala.
    I mean, one spot for a nation of 35 Million? That's just not equitable.

4. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    CONCACAF doesn't use coefficients. That thread is just my thing. They should though.

dinamo_zagreb and TOareaFan repped this.
  5. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Vic Mont is the former president of the CSA and current president of CONCACAF.

Edit: Maybe I missed the sarcasm. Sorry.

6. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    If they were to reassess the spots (and I agree with TOareaFan that the conversation should not be difficult to arrange :) ) then I'd also like them to look at the seeding issue. It is bogus that US MLS teams get to avoid the Mexicans in the group stage but the Canadian MLS team doesn't. Maybe something like the top four MLS teams based on last year's regular season standings get seeded.

We are getting a bit off topic for this thread, however.

slaminsams repped this.
  7. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He is still listed as the president of CSA....I guess they have not found his replacement yet.....but even then, the president of CONCACAF should be open to a meeting with the president of CSA

8. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    It seems a little late for this. I would have thought that the CSA would have had the foresight to trademark the name long before now. I wonder if it is actually somebody associated with the league that filed it or somebody was opportunistic enough to get the jump on the CSA. Based on the Hamilton address of the applicant I'm hoping the former, but based on past CSA tomfoolery I'm dreading it's the latter.

10. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The address is affiliated with the Hamilton Tiger Cats, so it's probably all good.

11. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The applicant is HTCFC Holdings ULC

Ie....Hamilton Tiger Cat Football Club Holdings

12. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I wonder if Hamilton would consider launching their own (perhaps USL) team in advance of the CPL launch? Especially if the CPL still ends up taking another couple of years to get off the ground. If Ottawa jumps as rumoured they'd have two Ontario rivals to play and could get their team shaped up before most of their competition does.

FootySkeptic repped this.
  13. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    789122807477272576 is not a valid tweet id

14. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Any idea if Impact or Whitecaps are also keen on being on board?

15. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Here's an interesting tidbit:

If this is true, then the CSA may be getting some government backing or other support from Sports Canada to get this thing going.

16. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I hope it does happen will be great situation for Canada. It is something that should of happened years ago and hopefully they don't just stop there, but also start a WCPL as well. Both men and women would benefit in having a league. 10 teams is good and perhaps end goal could be 14 to 18 teams overall.

17. babykhris

babykhris Member

Philadelpia Union
    Nov 30, 2008
    Philadlphia,PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    "There has been speculation that at least one British Premier League team is interested in owning a team in the nascent Canadian league."

If there's any substance behind this statement, that would be a huge shot in the arm for the league, especially if it's one of the major clubs with deep pockets.

19. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I am so excited with this news yet I have no connection to Canada. :)

20. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Things I don't trust: articles related to soccer that refer to the British Premier League.

TOareaFan repped this.
  21. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Missed that. Or maybe the long speculated amalgamation of the EPL and SPL is finally going to happen. ;)

22. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This great just wondering why not start with all teams from the jump. It would be more sensible and I think better to have more teams overall. I am excited to see more and more news coming out about the CPL. This will be another growing league to watch soon. Hope they try putting a team in Quebec City, I do think it could work in that city.

23. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    not sure if you are joking or not....there has never been speculation about merging the leagues.....there has, at times, been speculation about the Old Firm leaving the Scottish league system to play in England....but merging the EPL and the Premiership of SPFL is a new one on me.

24. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    They do have a team from Wales nowadays...

25. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    They seem to be doing things the right way, taking their time and bringing in experienced people. I've heard humbling so of some very deep pocketed owners, too.

As a former FC Edmonton season ticket holder, I can attest to the fact that the setup must be professional in all aspects from day one. If not, you end up with a situation like Edmonton where you can never get fans to give you a second chance after an initial bush league set up.