Canadian Premier league

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mikehurst21, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Clanachan named commissioner of Canadian Premier League

https://www.tsn.ca/clanachan-named-commissioner-of-canadian-premier-league-1.964154

The men's pro soccer league, which has been on the drawing board for some four years and under construction for one, is set to debut in the spring of 2019. Clanachan (pronounced clan-a-han) says the league is currently dealing with 12 to 15 interested cities and expects to launch with eight to 10 teams.

Deleted User x repped this.
  2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So they went with someone that has a strong business background over someone with a strong soccer background. That's certainly not a bad thing as he is likely not going to be bogged down by how things are done in the rest of the world vs. watching the bottom line..

3. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Well, he has some soccer experience, so it's not like he's a total neophyte. And now we have a definite starting year for the league: 2019 or bust.

4. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    951195577878016002 is not a valid tweet id

5. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Ottawa Fury...

6. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  7. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    3 divisions

Independent clubs over Franchise/single entity

Champions League spot

Single table league up to 16 teams.

Liking this a lot!

8. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    https://www.google.ca/amp/torontosu...commissioner-as-league-reveals-start-date/amp

According to Clanachan
    • they're investing half a billion into CPL in the first ten years
    • six-month season with no playoffs
    • the winner will receive an automatic entry into the CONCACAF Champions League. An additional CCL spot will be awarded to the Canadian Championship winner, giving Canada two entries into the tournament.
    • The league is also expected to implement some version of a “Local Content” rule to ensure clubs employ and roster a yet to be determined number of Canadians on the field and bench.

9. Paulo_PT

Paulo_PT Member

SL Benfica
    Portugal
    Sep 17, 2017
    I agree with everything, but... 3 professional divisions? I think it's to much... 2 professional divisions and 1 semi-pro/amateur, or a 3rd division for U-23 B teams.

They should implement a Playoff at the end of the season called League Cup. This will mantain more clubs in the run for something... Also the winner and runner-up of the 2nd division could gain a spot in this competition.

I think Canadian Championship should be a open competition between independent clubs from the 3 divisions plus MLS Clubs, entering all at ounce.

In the end the winner of the League Cup and the Canadian Championship should play the Canadian Soccer Bowl (3 teams) the winner will gain the second CONCACAF Champions League. The winner also will play the D1 champions for the final game and title of Canadian Super Champion.

10. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  11. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Deleted User x and Metropolitan repped this.
  12. Paulo_PT

Paulo_PT Member

SL Benfica
    Portugal
    Sep 17, 2017
    Not really...

Don't Forget most leagues with thiskind of format have some kind of secondary qualification.

In Europe you have the Champions League and Europa League berths.

Without this factor most league will suffer for lack of objectives after mid-season.

My french name for a canadian U-23 soccer league: Ligue des Espoirs du Soccer :)

13. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The winner would automatically qualify for the CONCACAF Champions League.

14. Paulo_PT

Paulo_PT Member

SL Benfica
    Portugal
    Sep 17, 2017
    If you have 12 clubs, and only two are battling for the top spot...
    See this year results in Bundesliga, La Liga, Ligue 1 or Premier League...
    Is not enough...

I think the winner should be crowned canadian soccer champion and awarded the CONCACAF Champions League berth. But a secondary competition should be helded to keep the most number of teams in the game.

In my opinion, a Playoff at the end of the season will be great. This League Cup could have 6 teams for the D1 and 2 teams for D2. R8-R4-R2.

Then the Canadian Championship during regular season will be another goal.

All United by the Soccer Bowl with the winner of the CPL, CPL Cup and Canadian Championship.

15. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I see what you mean but let me ask you this...Does parity makes for a better show/league? That's a debate worth having.

Playoffs are good if your team can get rewarded for having the best regular season record like the MLS Supporter's Shield which sends them straight to Champions league. CPL won't have that initially.

Also, unless the league gets to 16 teams, playoffs makes little sense to me.

16. Paulo_PT

Paulo_PT Member

SL Benfica
    Portugal
    Sep 17, 2017
    Playoffs like MLS to determine League Champion, I don't agree.

But playoffish for a secondary competition I think could be good.

In England, Portugal or France League Cups are year round competitions.

But I Think one League Cup at the end of the season it's a good option also.

If you combine this League Cup with an Canadian Soccer Bowl (Canadian Super Cup), having League Cup Winner and Canadian Championship (open cup) facing each other in the first round to determine second canadian berth to CONCACAF Champions League I think will work.

17. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Half a billion over ten years is nothing to sneeze at. That said, even if they hold at ten teams (rather than expanding as they indicated) that is only $5 million per team per year. With some potential owners talking about spending millions on stadia, that leaves even less for ongoing operations. Still good, though.

Six months with no playoffs is different than what we're used to in this part of the world but should work. The Canadian Championship will gives teams another route to keeping things interesting.

A second CCL spot for Canada would be great but I'll wait until it is confirmed by CONCACAF.

Local content is good, too.

Overall, a nice start for an announcement but I'll wait until they formally announce the rest of the teams before going further.

18. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We don't know the break down of that half billion, but for a league starting in a Canadian context, it's a massive investment and commitment if we stop comparing ourselves to the US for 1 second. This is more than most people ever imagined in their wildest dreams for Canada

That will be an interesting experiment. People still tune in to watch the games of the last week of competition and to see the winning team being crowned champions. Once we get more divisions, a "league Cup" tournament could be considered.

It's going to start next month I think now that we finally have a commissioner in place to do it

19. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's easier to start with no playoffs and then add it in later than it is to have playoffs and then remove it. I give them credit for at least trying a single table with no playoffs at the outset as they're leaving money on the table by not having it.

I wonder also if the reason for no playoffs is because they don't want to play games in late October/early November when the weather is nastier and to avoid going up against late season CFL games.

20. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    If they are going single table, then they will also have to have a balanced schedule, which I'm having trouble figuring out how the season is going to fit into their proposed six month window. That's 26 weeks. An 8 team league could play each other 4 times for 28 games, but 10- and 12-team leagues would play each other only twice for 18 and 22 games respectively. That's not enough playing time to improve development of the Canadian Players, but to play each team 4 times would be too long of a season.

Even being generous and saying that the CPL will play from April to October with a couple of weeks off in the summer for international breaks and Gold/World Cup tournaments, that's about 24 weeks. I bet that after a year or two, "for the good of the game" they will switch to playoffs, East and West conferences, and an unbalanced schedule.

When Saturday Comes repped this.
  21. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Perhaps but Beirne is highly sold on the European model. I think it's bold of them to bring it to North America which in turns highly differentiate CPL from MLS. The commissioner flat out views MLS as a competitor

22. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not every league with single table has a balanced schedule. The SPL has each team play 3 times instead of 2. Going with that model, a 10 team league would play 27 times, which is pretty close to the sweet spot for player development.

23. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Regarding a TV deal:
    951792868225667072 is not a valid tweet id

Hires were:
    • Greg McIsaac, former Director of Communications at TSN
    • Mark Silver, former lead for TSN Go and CBC Olympic streaming

24. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Hey guys, I'm just a French dude lurking and I just wanted to say I'm really happy Canada will get its own league! I didn't know!

I already think the MLS closed-league system is detrimental to the growth of the sport in the US, but I believe it's even worse for Canada which is stuck with 3 teams and no will to expand further. You guys will never qualify again for a world cup if the context doesn't change.

Having a united North American league for basketball and ice hockey does make sense because those are the best leagues in the world, but considering that there is already Liga MX winning every Concacaf Champions League around, it doesn't apply to soccer. The continental tournament is the Champions league, and there's nothing justifying you don't have your own league in order to qualify to it.

That's of course just an opinion, but I simply hope there won't be any salary cap or draft system balancing out the levels between teams. This may look like a good idea at first glance, but soccer is a sport in which you want to see the best playing with the best. The French Ligue 1 has never been as much followed as now because PSG has built an awesome team that we enjoy watching every weekend. This new attention is now bringing investors to other French clubs which wouldn't be there if PSG wasn't a first-class opponent bringing TV viewers to the league.

We can agree or disagree but that's just how things work. During several years French Ligue 1 was the most balanced league in Europe, and no one cared about it then, just because there were better teams to watch elsewhere.

Robert Borden and crazypete13 repped this.
  25. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the best thing to happen to the sport in Canada Coupled with a potential World Cup hosting opportunity in 2026, we're seeing nothing but an escalation of interest and growth in the game in Canada Now we just need the league to get through the expected first few years,