Canadian Premier league

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mikehurst21, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, viewership for the NHL and CFL is city/regional-based by team. Canucks fans aren't routinely watching Senators games. The CFL is the same. In the US and Canada, there are very few teams with national scope anymore. The sports market is much more saturated than it used to be.

The Raptor and the Jays are in an unusual position because they're the only top-tier teams in their sport in Canada. I suppose that gets them a number of out-of-market fans. But, if you're a basketball fan in Vancouver, what is going to draw you to the Raptors over the Trailblazers? (well, other than this year's championship)

No, the Canadian MLS teams have never had much more realistic plans to draw fans from the boonies than their American counterparts. MLS has not had much luck drawing a large TV audience- it's still primarily a stadium experience. MLS teams are happy selling tickets to teams outside of their catchment area, but It's not surprising the Whitecaps aren't wasting money marketing in Manitoba.

It isn't the 1940's anymore- people don't line up behind teams based on neighborhood loyalty anymore (other than a couple of outliers, like Cubs/White Sox and Yankees/Mets). You have some odd ideas about how there are these strong geographic faultlines among Canadian soccer fans.

It's good that CPL is bringing soccer to some underserved parts of the country. Its main selling point is that it brings a live sports experience to places without too many other options.

2. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #3477 Robert Borden, Dec 3, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Very wrong on that. NHL and CFL are over a century old, both with lots of Canadian content.

The Habs, Leafs, Jays, western NHL teams certainly does.

I'm not a CFL expert but it's very big here, teams draw provincially mainly something MLS teams can't do.

It really started with the "We the North" campaign combined with preseason games nation wide. It took time but Raptors did the heavy lifting on marketing for years and they got popular even before the the championship years. That's the kind of marketing MLS never did in Canada.

Saputo himself said that Impact needed to do better to draw beyond the city and regionally.

TFC is part of MLSE...so you expect TFC not having the same reach as the other teams under the same umbrella.

Attendance-wise, Pacific isn't a threat to the Whitecaps but they will have a much tougher time convincing islanders to tune in to their games instead of Pacific when they are on CBC...for "free". They were dumb to not use the Davies money to get a big star.

That's my point. CPL complicates the 3 MLS potential for growth outside their cities. You're mistaken if you think they aren't interested, their owners and Garber himself said the opposite

Main selling point? You haven't followed their marketing strategy at all. That's ok, didn't expect you too

3. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can think of a very big reason why a basketball fan in Vancouver would be drawn to the Raptors over the Trailblazers... The fact that the Raptors are on the television in Vancouver, while the Trailblazers are not.. The same Is true for the Blue Jays. Baseball fans in Vancouver are Blue Jays fans, not Mariner fans.

Robert Borden repped this.
  4. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that true? In this day and age, I doubt that Canadian basketball fans have any real issues watching whatever games they like.

Anyway, the Raptors and the Jays are weird outliers. If MLB and the NBA had more teams in Canada, the Raptors/Jays wouldn’t have a monopoly.

5. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We don't go out of our way to watch the Trailblazers. We prefer the Raptors;)

6. When Saturday Comes

Apr 9, 2012
    Calgary
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    100% this. I have was at BMO Training Ground a dozen times this year and every time there were CPL staff (coaches, players, doctors, trainers, other matchday personnel etc) with their Toronto FC counterpart. One of the TV guys for TSN sat down and describe in detail all the things the club was doing to help the CPL. They absolutely want the CPL to succeed. It would be good for Cdn Soccer from the grassroots to the National Teams. They also know there's zero chance TFC would ever be forced to leave MLS and they would never volunteer to join the CPL

7. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Rumor

Sources claims that foreign investors are in Ottawa which could lead to a CPL club in the Capital

8. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Ottawa rumors
    The twitter account isn't much but he broke out the story that the Fury was folding ahead of almost everyone

9. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah... Unless they are trying to get the team into MLS, I’m not sure.. Donovan is part of the MLStoSD group and while their initiative to get the SSS built failed, I don’t see them punching out or going for another team in another league..

10. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  11. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  12. thekorean

thekorean Member

Jan 10, 2017
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Just realized Ottawa has a ballpark that has no tenant. If nothing else new CPL team can play there.

13. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    OSEG already confirmed that they would lease TD Place to a CPL club. Another reason why CPL to Ottawa will get done sooner rather than later.

Outside of the main 3 cities, it's the biggest market without a pro football club.

14. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

15. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

16. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

17. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    2 CPL players started today against Barbados. CPL MVP Tristan Borges and Amer Didic who ended up scoring.

Stuart95 repped this.
  18. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If this happens, CPL were visionary geniuses when they sold all the rights to MediaPro
    MediaPro has revenues of around ~$2B, they are fully equipped to outbid Canadian Sports Channels when the MLS TV contract is up. They just got their hands on all CONCACAF tournaments.

This would be a MASSIVE win for CPL who would get all those viewers accessing the games and boosting their numbers at the same time.

Fingers crossed

19. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure how much this equates into a win for CPL. I'm not sure how many MLS viewers would also watch CPL games, at least, represent a sizable increase over the ones that already have OneSoccer due to the CNT content on the platform.

Also, I'm not sure MLS would even accept a bid from them for TV rights, even if they have the highest bid. While cord cutting and streaming is increasing in popularity, not having a TV component is still very limiting. We even have a recent example of MLS trying streaming only and having it fail. DC United went stream only last season and the contract was cancelled before the season was even over. As a result, I can definitely see MLS selling the streaming rights to OneSoccer, but keeping the TV rights with a Canadian broadcaster.

20. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Lot of people aren't watching CPL because of the streaming service that's both not very known and represents an extra fee for casual fans.

Consolidating all of the football content on Onesoccer will undeniably boost viewership for CPL game as they'd have access to both leagues. Since we're talking 2022, fans of the MLS cities are more likely to check out teams in their areas.
    • Whitecaps fans -->Pacific FC & Fraser Valley games
    • Impact fans --> Laval & Quebec City games
    • TFC Fans --> York9, Forge possibly Kitchener-Waterloo, Durham and Mississauga games
    Also, according to CBC, CPL game drew around the same amount of viewers as TFC did in 2016. Accessibility is definitely a factor.

OneSoccer is working on setting up a Sport Channel on top of their streaming plateform while working to acquire more leagues.

MLS will simply sell to the highest bidder while Onesoccer could resell some games to CBC & SRC (SRC is the French CBC)

21. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's my point,. ;) Adding MLS to OneSoccer isn't going to change casuals not wanting to pay an extra fee. If MLS goes stream only in Canada, the most likely result is a fairly large reduction in MLS's already small market in Canada.

Again, I did say there wouldn't be a significant increase. ;) Just going stream only would remove most of MLS's fans in Canada as viewers, then from the group of people that do pay the fee for OneSoccer, another large percentage will only watch the MLS content (and probably CNT), but won't consume the CPL content.

Was that for the entire season, or just the inaugural game? Canada isn't very good about making their ratings public and I wasn't very diligent about checking to see what ratings were released for CPL games on CBC after the inaugural game.

That's good, however....

This actually is not true. MLS has, in the past, rejected higher offers from providers because of market share (BeIN) and other conditions imposed (Fox wanted MLS to implement pro/rel). Just because OneSoccer has the highest bid does not mean MLS will pick theirs as the winning bid.

22. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They're going on cable as well, which also open them up for bars.

CBC is government owned so whoever got the number found it. The inaugural game numbers on CBC were also public.

To answer your question, it's for the 10 games they broadcast + the 1 playoff game.

Onesoccer has the advantage of working with the CBC, meaning that they could offer MLS games on the CBC to all Canadians.

CBC is free from coast to coast, the other sports channels dont come even close to offer that kind of exposure. I doubt MLS doesn't find that attractive, that's people from St. John's that could potentially be watching LAFC for the first time.

With status quo, just not happening.

23. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Stay tune

24. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Rumor

Can't co firm yet but the bid for the CPL Ottawa club is back by a club from La Liga Spain.

Stay tuned

25. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless it is Barca, Real, Atletico, or Valencia, I wouldn’t get too excited. Heck, you might even be a bit concerned. La Liga is a mess below the top 6-8 clubs and those clubs seem to be the least interested in creating teams in other leagues..