Canadian Premier league

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mikehurst21, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    2nd CPL player to be called up by the National team. Centre back Amer Didic of FC Edmonton
    CanMNT Assistant coach Mauro Biello is the dedicated scout for CPL. That's further confirmation that USL won't be getting the national team attention as no one's been called up nor do they have a dedicated scout.

2. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Hope this is true!

3. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    INTERVIEW WITH DUANE ROCKERBIE, PhD Sports Economics, University of Lethbridge

The guy who did the feasibility of a Division 2 league back in 2010. (Easton Report)

https://northern90.ca/2019-season/how-the-canpl-came-to-be-with-dr-duane-rockerbie/

His thoughts on CPL and if it can succeed.

VERY ENLIGHTENING

•Talks about why CSL failed.

Bums in the seats should be less than half of revenues. Have to diversify revenues...hence the CSL failed... like some posters here...they were "obsessed" about attendance and ticket sales mainly

•Legacy of CSL and consequences of folding

•Reminded that MLS almost failed and how it was saved

•The importance of CSB, the business model.

•According to him, CPL functions owns players contracts

•Mediapro and Broadcasters

•Profile of ownership, FIFA helping the league, Investors being attracted to the league, more than we know.

•2026 being massive in helping promoting CPL as we approach the World Cup.

•What should CPL do by 2026?

•Says 10 teams by 2026 is a success, 16 teams is optimistic and danger of dilution of talent

•Database of players

•Stability of the league, private ownership allows teams to leave whenever, can't do that in CPL as it is set up now.

•Be be complementary to MLS and Liga MX, not as competing

•Optimistic that the way CPL is set up, it will succeed

4. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Oct 6/19 Forge FC vs York 9 FC played in Hamilton.

All the audio from the post game interviews with York 9 FC head coach Jimmy Brennan

Forge FC head coach Bobby Smyrniotis, goalie Quillan Roberts, and midfielder Tristan Borges

on my site at: http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19york162.htm

surprised I was here but came for League 1 Ontario awards lunch held a few hours before the game.

5. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

6. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh good! The tired trope that if someone is playing abroad they represent the best talent a country has to offer and are interested in playing in the country. Neither sentiment is remotely true. Now, with a league as early in the creation cycle as CPL there may be a larger chunk of players that can't get playing time in MLS that went abroad, are of CPL level talent, and are interested in playing in Canada, but the whole idea that you can just say "There's 150 Canadians on the Canuck's Abroad chart" and have it mean anything is, and always will be, a non-starter.

7. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Why so MLS centrist? So most Canadians goes overseas because they can't play in MLS? Now that's hilarious

Regarding his comment about the best playing abroad...lots of D3 guys got into CPL, those overseas have more pro experience, they might not be "the best" or better than some already in the league but CPL's purpose is also to provide Canadians a league of their own to play in.

Nothing wrong with that

8. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not what I intended to say, but I can certainly see how my wording can illicit that interpretation. ;) My intent was merely to say that any comment that points at the Canuck's Abroad list and says "These are the best Canadian talent we have and we should bring them home!!" can, for the most part, be discounted because the players on that list are generally not going to be interested in playing in CPL or they are not significantly better than what CPL already has available to them domestically.

Robert Borden repped this.
  9. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I'm glad the CPL is pursuing other avenues for revenue. I think some of our focus as fans has been on attendance for a few reasons. The league gave out information on targets (~6000) which they haven't on things like sponsorship. We, as fans, actually have attendance data to discuss which we don't on other revenue streams. And finally, many of the the other revenue streams are ultimately tied to attendance in that sponsors like crowds.

I'm not sure I follow this. Is he saying the CPL is actually set up as a sort of MLS-style single entity? I thought they were against that and wanted to go with a team-based model?

I agree, although more based on the number of useful markets than on the player talent. And honestly, I'd be happy with a successful, strong, ten team CPL.

10. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think he was giving his opinion but the league already confirmed that it was not a franchise / single entity like MLS. He does point out that CPL borrowed a lot of features from what worked with MLS.

11. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  12. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    1184485245099397120 is not a valid tweet id

13. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

14. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    How Gareth Wheeler has changed in just over a year! Listen to him cut me off at the Toronto FC Q & A on Oct 6/18 (with him as the MC) when I ask Bill Manning and Tim Bezbatchenko about Canadians being pushed down the roster. Starts at the 36 minute mark. "Do you want to win or do you want to see Canadians play?" and "I've played Cdn soccer in Uni against US and we weren't anywhere good enough!" So is Gareth Wheeler changing because he's now drawing a second paycheque with the CPL league? Bonus: Listen to Tim B praise Liam Fraser's development.
    http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports18/18tfc045.htm
    http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports18/MannBez02.mp3 or skip right to the sound file. 36 minute mark!

15. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #3365 Robert Borden, Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    There are enough sources talking about this to post it :

According to multiple sources, The Canadian Premier League is looking at changing it's roster rule in regards to signing Internationals.

7 Internationals allowed
    • No more than 2 aged 28 years old or older out of 7
    • Up to 7 Internationals younger than 27 years old

16. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

17. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if there is a point where the CPL becomes so focused on age restrictions that they get tagged as a development league and whether that ends up hurting them?

I’m also not sure what this particular rule is looking to address given CPL’s already restrictive rules regarding playing Canadians over foreign players. I would think the CPL would want older foreign players in the league to help the younger Canadians develop rather than the CPL acting as a development league for young, foreign players.

18. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    From what I hear is that they inflate the salaries while not bringing much to the league overall. Valour seems to be the target here, FC Edmonton to some extend and Halifax.

What do they have in common? Bottom 3 while the other 3 were more successful with Canadians with the right mix of Internationals.

I get the logic but I feel a team should be free to get it all wrong and pay for it.

CANPRO repped this.
  19. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    1187802326268108800 is not a valid tweet id

20. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #3370 Robert Borden, Oct 25, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2019

21. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I'd be extremely happy to see the Fury come over to the CPL. When Rollins says no 2020 expansion but three teams in consideration and then lists KW, Fraser Valley, and Laval, does that mean aside from Ottawa? Given that the Fury exist, have a stadium, and have sanctioning issues, I don't see why they couldn't come over in 2020.

Of the other three, I question Fraser Valley and Laval based on market sharing with MLS. It hasn't gone well for York so far.

KW would be really interesting. The metro area is ~575 000 and the area is affluent. As mentioned in one of the tweets, the stadium would be the issue. The new LRT is up and running in KW, however, so if they could find a spot near a station it would be quite useful. Of the remaining potential CPL markets, this is one of the best. If the CPL could make a legitimate go of it here it would really solidify the idea of the successful smaller market as started by Halifax.

22. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Rumors has it that they are interested in joining IF they pay the same expansion fee as the original 7 teams

York9 plays in Toronto with no advertising in North York. York9 reiterated their intend to build their stadium in Vaughan.

Fraser Valley (Langley) is far enough from Vancouver while lots of Vancouver fans are looking to jump ship.

Laval is ita own island with over 400k people + suburbs which totals close to 1M.

Not worried about both.

The city is investing $5M in both Universities stadiums with significant upgrades. An owner would just need to pick one and add their money on top of the cities to meet CPL standards...that's why they have emerge at the forefront

23. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Any idea what either the original or the current expansion fee is?

If this rumour it true, that makes me optimistic about them joining. It seems like the sort of issue that could be resolved pretty easily (as compared to finding a stadium, for example).

24. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the other hand.. CPL seems to have ownership groups knocking down their doors to get in. Giving Ottawa a discount on the expansion fee is bound to hurt the CPL's negotiations with the other potential ownership groups over their expansion fees. Ottawa took a risk by skipping out on the CPL's inaugural season. I'm not particularly sure why they should be rewarded with a lower expansion fee for getting that risk wrong.

25. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    ^ I'm not advocating a break or not a break. Just saying that if they're discussing an expansion fee, that's a resolvable issue.

You raise good points as to why the CPL might not give them one. Having an established, successful team join the league and being linked to the group that runs the stadium are points in favour.