Canadian Premier league

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mikehurst21, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I don't actually know anything meaningful about Verhoeven. Fraser is a very different type of midfielder than Borges. Fraser plays well as a bottom of the diamond guy who can be the first defender or the point from which the attack starts as needed. He isn't going to show up on the score sheet very often but, if you rewind the scoring sequence, you'll notice he was the guy who stripped the other team of the ball somewhere near midfield and made the first pass to get things breaking the other way. Borges is an attacking midfielder who is there to score goals.

I agree. In a sentence I never thought I'd be writing: Anyone who wants to break into the forward line up is going to have to be very good because Canada is stacked up front.

Robert Borden repped this.
  2. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

3. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    It seems extremely likely that expansion isn't going to happen in 2020 at this point.

The news of a Fraser Valley team in 2021 is great, but I'm a bit disappointed it looks like a 7 team league again next year. Repition is a bit tedious even in year one.

jagum repped this.
  4. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's only a rumor but according to an interview in Moncton with the CBC with people pushing for a Moncton team, they claimed that they have been told by Clanachan that 2020 would see 2 Quebec teams and 1 Ontario team joining CPL for a total of 10.

Didn't post until I could get more clarifications
    https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radi...149-pitching-for-a-pro-soccer-team-in-moncton

5. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    That seems extremely optimistic.

6. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    So does putting a team near Vancouver given the York experience but, who knows, maybe it will be better.

7. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Really not the same thing and unlike TFC, lots of Whitecaps fans are itching to jump ship

8. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  9. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  10. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  11. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Paul Beirne will resign at the end of the season to pursue a "club opportunity"
    1174787725070950400 is not a valid tweet id

12. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

13. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Surely York 9 have made mistakes and could have more butts in the seats but I would imagine their turnout would be a red flag to anyone else thinking about setting up in the GTA.

I think a team in the Golden Horseshoe area would be a good fit, but as Halifax has proven, it's all about the right location in your city, not just the size of the city.

14. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They aren't in their own market. Besides, they are said to be making money on corporate revenues and sponsor deals.

Hard to gauge how it really looks like until they move to Vaughan

15. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  16. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I would also look at the York experience and question the wisdom of setting up another GTA team.

Actually, the fact that so few teams are pulling in even decent crowds would give me pause about setting up another team anywhere.

As you point out with Halifax, however, it can work even in a smaller centre if you find the right niche and do it correctly. It is certainly not a lock anywhere right now, though.

All this said, the league's model is to have many teams in proximity. I give them credit for sticking with that model despite a lack of initial success in many markets. And if they're finding investors who are willing to put in more teams then there is obviously information in the background that makes it compelling. People with the requisite amount of money to field a team aren't going to be foolish in where they invest it.

Ultimately there isn't enough hard information available to fans like us to assess the financial state of the league. It is also early going. All I can say is that, having watched soccer in Canada and the US for many years, very few teams have ever survived long term while drawing fewer than 5000 per game. So I hope the teams can all step up at least that high regardless of what other revenue they have access to.

17. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We're talking about a team who made 0 marketing effort in Toronto and North York. All of their efforts are directed at York Region only.

Corporate wise, their are making a lot of money on that front. That's the reason why Apostopoulos wants Durham, Mississauga has prospective owners interested pending the city making a decision on the stadium.

It's season 1. It's a good base to build from. It's in line with some of the Scandinavian leagues that have existed for far longer and higher attendance average than USL Championship...in year 1.

What's important is the business model allowing them to not worry about attendance too much.

Cavalry are easily one of the teams making the most money on tickets. Sure, theybdraw like 4k but they charge more than some MLS clubs. Edmonton said CPL is more viable to them than NASL ever was while not buying the USL model.

Pacific said that they were doing fine and are building towards the future. The league's business model allowes that.

The fact that wealthy investors wants to be part of the league speaks for itself

18. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    The three oldest teams in USL and 1/2 of the entire league average at or under 4,000. 2/3 average under 5,000.

Robert Borden repped this.
  19. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I hope they can build rather than see a dip when the new team smell wears off (although I'd expect that to be around year four or five, not year two). I was really hoping to see something more like an average of at least 5000 with a noteworthy number of individual games across the league over 10 000. I'd say it's a decent base to build on for some teams but a pretty disappointing base for others (especially the two in Alberta).

This is a true statement. The reported interest of additional owners (who are rich enough not to do stupid things with their money) makes me think the behind the scenes numbers are better than I'd otherwise expect.

20. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Thanks for this. I'm always open to altering my opinion when presented with data.

I should clarify one thing about my earlier comment, which is that teams seem to need about 5000 per game to survive on their own merits. This is as opposed to when a sugar daddy owner is willing to prop them up.

In that light, we need to take USL numbers with a grain of salt. Eight of the bottom ten USL teams are associated with MLS teams. Take out the MLS money and the attendance stats for the surviving USL teams would look at lot better.

Still, you have given an example of some teams that can make a go of it over longer periods of time with sub-5000 attendance. That's useful.

Expansion Franchise repped this.
  21. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    I think it's fair to point out that the reserves teams add noise to these statistics, so with that in mind, there are 27 independent teams. Of those, 15 average under 5,000 and 10 average at 4,000 or less. So a little over a half and a little over third of independents, accordingly.

CPL's numbers feel pretty close, proportionally, although, as you point out, this doesn't offer very much regarding finances.

22. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Are we including MLS, USL owners in that category?

23. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Sports ownership is a bit of a special category of investing but, in general, I'd say yes.

I have only seen incidental information on USL franchise values but they seem to be rising.

As for MLS, I'd love to be invested in something like this:

TFC expansion fee 2008: $10 million
    TFC value 2018: $290 million

24. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    But the TFC example is like the stock markets. They got in very low and whenever they sell will be laughing at to the bank.

Getting in now is minimum $200M. There won't be a "TFC scenario" again... maybe USL Championship if pro/rel ever happens or CPL over the long term

25. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    September 28, 2019 @CPLsoccer All the audio from the post match press conferences between York 9 FC vs Cavalry FC

Tommy Wheeldon Jr, Nico Pasquotti, and Marco Carducci

Jimmy Brennan, Ryan Telfer, and Justin Springer

and the mumble mouthed press (I'm just as far away as the others, why does my voice carry so well?

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19york158.htm