Canadian Premier league

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mikehurst21, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  2. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  3. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  4. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  5. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  6. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    The Forge kit made me smile. I totally get Tim Hortons as a sponsor (huge company), particularly for a Hamilton team (company started in Hamilton). At the same time, it looks like the Timbits soccer sweaters that all the little kids wear for their summer rec leagues.

7. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    The duplication isn't a problem. I'm curious about the associated dollar value. The last numbers I saw for the Canadian MLS teams were north of $4 million per team per season.

8. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

9. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

10. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I understand, Diego Forlan's current mobility makes Andrea Pirlo look like a gazelle... So, not sure you'd want that...

11. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Seems a strange move. The wrong kind of attention.

12. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Press release on OneSoccer from MediaPRO:
    https://imaginanews.mediapro.es/rf/repo/OneSoccer_Press Release ENG.pdf

MEDIAPRO, the media partner of Canadian Soccer Business and the Canadian Premier League, is set to launch OneSoccer, a 24/7 LIVE and on-demand streaming channel that will become the new home of Canadian soccer.

OneSoccer will carry live coverage of all 98 Canadian Premier League matches (plus the final), including the much-anticipated opening game on April 27th between Forge FC and York9 FC at Hamilton’s Tim Hortons Field. It will also show all home matches of the Canada Soccer’s Women’s and Men’s National Teams and all 24 matches of the 2019 Canadian Championship involving all professional soccer teams in Canada, with a selection of key matches to be simulcast on a national linear broadcaster. From 2020, OneSoccer will also air a selection of League1 Ontario women’s and men’s games.

OneSoccer will also air a wide range of complementary programming, from pre- and postmatch highlights, daily news programs, mid-week magazine shows, interviews, features and other formats, expanding the channel’s offering to cable and satellite television platforms in the near future. Further information on the OneSoccer brand and its features is available on onesoccer.ca

OneSoccer will soon be available on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube, where news, photos, interviews, exclusive content, game-day clips and other content will be posted continually, to keep fans in constant touch with the league and their clubs, and to bring the players, coaches and home cities closer to fans new and old.

Further details regarding the live coverage of a selection of CPL and Championship games on a national broadcaster will be in the coming days.

13. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    My take on the @York9FC kit reveal in Newmarket. Also includes my interview with Emilio Estevez Tsao and I ask the elephant in the room question (or should I say Mighty Ducks?) about having a movie star name. pics and sound bytes of the presentation included. Also who wears each # kit.

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19york080.htm

14. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch.. Not good IMHO.. Duane Rollins is reporting that CPL games will be called from screens in Vancouver and Toronto.

I hope he is wrong. Having local announcers is much better from an engagement position. It can be fine from a national TV game perspective, but having broadcasters associated with the teams for regular games is important as they can get more familiar with the players, coaching staff, and teams.

15. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Disappointing, but not entirely surprising.

16. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Possible but prefer to wait for the official word on this as Rollins was inaccurate earlier that day
    1114293449929515008 is not a valid tweet id
    However, Mediapro has the lead on this so, wi have to wait and see what their plans are. We're supposed to get more news soon.

Rollins a bit raw lately on CPL not giving him any official position, he was the first to break the news that the CSA was launching a new league. He said himself Twitter that going forward, he won't be the best source of info on the league.

17. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  18. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beirne is wrong on USL, btw. Most/all of the teams have local pbp/color. Varying degrees of quality, mind you. But they are local.

19. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CPL patch is available for FM19.

Element 7ero repped this.
  20. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  21. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A rare sighting in CPL, Pacific FC signs American Blake Smith. He spent 3 seasons with Montreal, so may actually have Canadian residency.

22. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I believe that this might be the 1st American international signed to the league

23. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    An interesting article on Halifax being almost sold out for the season:

https://canpl.ca/article/wanderers-approaching-sell-outs-as-halifaxs-reputation-entices-fans

Good on them for getting the demand. Also very good that they are doing this because they need to sell out to hit the ~6000 average attendance the league has said it needs for its teams to be viable.

One curious note from the article: "Martin also revealed the club will be holding onto a reserve of tickets for each tilt in anticipation of welcoming new fans who join their movement as the momentum builds throughout 2019."

I assume it's a small number and I like the idea of making space for late comers. On the other hand, nothing drives next year's sales like sell outs this year.

Robert Borden repped this.
  24. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  25. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea