Canadian Premier league

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mikehurst21, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    If you asked them, I'm sure that many (probably most) Canadian soccer fans would describe themselves as fans of one of our MLS teams. In most cases, however, that fandom would amount to a sort of general fondness and maybe watching game highlights on line. There probably aren't too many people who live outside the range where they could at least occasionally drive to a game who are also avid fans of any of the three teams. (By analogy, if you asked me which was my favourite basketball team I'd say the Raptors just because they're the only Canadian NBA team. It doesn't mean I have any real interest in them.)

I don't see the MLS teams causing any loss of fans to the CPL outside the MLS markets. There's no reason a person living in, say, Halifax, couldn't remain a mild TFC fan and become an avid Wanderers fan. I'm a TFC fan but I'll pick a CPL team to cheer for even though I may never go to a game there.

(I still think York may have issues in the Toronto area. That's not so much because TFC will suck up all the fans as because of Toronto sports fans' reluctance to support anything that isn't perceived as the highest level available. That's a separate issue from any minimal MLS impact on other cities, however.)

2. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    CPL podcast is live
    1113149572182884361 is not a valid tweet id

3. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  4. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Thinking of Cela specifically, the CPL will be good for this type of player. Here's a guy who has spent (as far as I know) his entire development career with TFC staring in the Academy and working up to TFC II. He's only seen very limited playing time, however, and doesn't appear to fit into TFC's plans long term. That said, he's only 19 and I'd hate to see him lost just because he wasn't making one of the finite number of spots available at one particular club. Now, with the CPL, he will still have a chance to develop in a pro environment. He may still never really go anywhere as a pro soccer player but, even if it isn't him, some players are going to be "rescued" this way who would otherwise fall through the cracks.

5. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Valour sign Canadians Calum Ferguson (FW) and Federico Pena (MF).

Ferguson as born to a Canadian mother and Scottish father in Scotland and has spent his professional career in lower division SPFL, but played for Canada as a youth player.

Pena was born in Trinidad, but moved to Winnepeg 10 years ago before signing with Belguim sides Gent and Standard Liege and playing on their U21 teams. He made 2 appearances for Canada's youth national team.

Buried at the bottom of the article is that Colombian MF Nestor Navia will not be joining the club after all.

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/valour-fc-sign-calum-ferguson-and-federico-pena

6. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we know roster sizes for CPL? Seems like a lot of teams are heading for 20 and pausing. I really hope it is going to be closer to 24 players, or else they are going to be really thin as far as back-ups go.

7. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Only 2 whites kits... Love the emphasis on colors

9. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Exactly. Sports fans are able to compartmentalize, especially between leagues that have no direct contact (e.g. a die-hard Cincinnati Bengals fan might be equally obsessed with the Buckeyes). You see this worldwide: your primary team is local, but maybe lower division, but you also root for a perennial champions league contender.

10. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  11. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  12. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a bad sponsor, either. So far the rumored jersey sponsors seem to be pretty good.

13. justink

justink Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Element 7ero repped this.
  14. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not bad..

Although, what is One Soccer?

15. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Figured out what OneSoccer is.. It is a brand new streaming service whose sole customer, so far, is CSB related properties..

Http://onesoccer.ca

I’m a little concerned that two of the teams’ sponsor is the league’s streaming partner, another is their jersey manufacturer, and I think the other 3 are also league level sponsors... I hope the clubs are getting some extra cheese for wearing the brands on their jerseys.

16. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Another pic [​IMG]

Element 7ero repped this.
  17. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002

How many Canadian MLS shirt sponsors are there? Hint: less than 3.

Weird. But it is what it is.

18. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was more noting that the sponsors seemed to be league level sponsors rather than team sponsors. As you noted, having duplicate jersey sponsors in a league isn’t that unusual.

[​IMG]

19. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Bank of Montreal sponsors both TFC and Montreal

20. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  21. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s as if you didn’t read my post at all... I even included a picture. :)

22. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I did read it, wasn't aimed at you, just informing others who might not know that

23. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, in that case, for a period of time between 2013 and 2018 there was a Toyota Park (Chicago Fire) and a Toyota Stadium (FC Dallas).

Robert Borden repped this.
  24. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  25. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea