Canadian Premier league

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mikehurst21, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I suppose "hey I recognize that name" makes sense as they don't have any actual CPL game play to base it on.

2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While they don't have CPL experience, many of the players in CPL do have professional experience, so it really shouldn't be based on name recognition, rather some statistical basis.

Robert Borden repped this.
  3. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He can be with massive emphasis on "can". He has the aptitudes and skillsets, that's undeniable but a change of scenery might be what the doctor ordered...

Also... editorial = opinion, not fact and they are pretty clear on it. I also disagree, I don't think he wins the golden boot

4. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    At this rate and the increase of significant games, Jonathan David will

5. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    1-But if the police let's enough crimes go unanswered, you risk expanding the problem and more people will use that as justification to do whatever they want forcing politicians and higher level of law enforcement will have to step in.

2-The Fury NEVER committed to join 1 year later. They are on record saying maybe one day, we'll see and 5 year plan to win USL. You can't expect any sanctioning body to put up with that. They could keep this up 1 year, 5 years, 10 years. By risking letting them drag this on, you let them create a dangerous precedent which much more powerful clubs could use to their advantage and I'm not talking just the 3 MLS teams.

We were/are still debating this in the Voyageurs Forum. What I saw that made sense was CPL thriving all the way to 2028, which will be the year before the Media rights being up. The state of the league at that point will say a lot.

If it's hanging by a thread, plagued by stagnation and still fighting to survive then yes, the 3 remains under the Exceptional Clause in my opinion. If they are thriving, expending and achieve all the goals they set for themselves, then yes, their case will be re-evaluated.

One thing you need to be aware of. CPL doesn't need to be within an inch of MLS. Their goal is to be a CONCACAF top 5 league by post 2026 World Cup. Since the inception of the CPL project as an idea, Montagliani and Beirne had that date circled in their calendars. If they achieve that, there's no possible justification for the 3 clubs to stay in MLS in my opinion, that doesn't fall under "Exceptional clause" as by then, it will have been only more or less between 15 to 19 years they will have been in MLS, unlike the century old Wales clubs.

6. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haber is 30, he’s pass the point where he can be.

Pacific FC is Haber’s 10th team in 10 years, that is a lot of scenery changes and he’s only done well in Scotland and third division English soccer. If he ends up being one of CPL's top strikers, I think it would speak more of a lack of quality in CPL than anything...

You’re also talking to a guy that back in 2011 defended Haber's decision to go to St. Johnstone instead of MLS bound Whitecaps after West Brom didn't work out. I liked his potential back then and thought Europe would be better for him and figured he had the Whitecaps available as a backstop if things didn't work out..

7. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You're too smart for this. You're giving way too much importance over an editorial piece. Personally, I don't think it's any of them. Someone will emerge and like you said earlier, shouldn't be based on name recognition.

I would argue that it's best for the league if an young player emerges and kills it.

8. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Naw. I discounted the article in my first post about it. I was disagreeing with your heavily hedged comment about Haber having the aptitude and skillset that could benefit from a change in scenery.

9. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    haha, no need to exaggerate what I'm saying. Does he have the skills to score? Yes, stats says so. Will he burn the league? Doubt it, stats history don't back this. Can he do a decent job? yes, stats again.

Do I wish that he runs away with the Golden boot? Absolutely not or CPL isn't doing it's job. A younger guy must emerge, Haber provides the experience and level to challenge them to push beyond. That's what I want to see

10. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant heavily hedged as in you put in a lot of uncertainty on whether he could do it. :)

11. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The Canadian Premier league continues it's work to fix and improve the Canadian pyramid. WIth it's recent acquisition of Ontario's D3, League 1 Ontario, the CPL is at work to fully integrate the league within its own operation

12. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    An interesting article from L1O talking about how many of its players have been signed by the CPL:

https://www.league1ontario.com/news_article/show/995677

It will be good to see the CPL keep the player pipeline open and easy for this transition. I hope to see L1O expand outside the GTA and for similar leagues to get established and/or linked to the CPL in other provinces.

13. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    League 1 Ontario will launch a reserve U21 league.
    Ontario path to pro
    1. OPDL
    2. League 1 Ontario U21 Reserves
    3. League 1 Ontario
    4. CPL or foreign leagues

14. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    The CPL put single game tickets on sale today:

https://canpl.ca/article/single-match-tickets-now-available-for-2019-cpl-season

I looked at a random Saturday match for each team. Halifax has the cheapest ticket at $23 and Calgary the most expensive at $101. For most teams, most single game ticket are between $25 and $60.

This is a little more than I was expecting but good on them if they can get those prices. They are still significantly cheaper than MLS tickets which will be useful for York.

15. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The Calgary prices are high because of the venue itself. Spruce Meadows are confident they can attract the same clients that comes for their horse shows for soccer. The "restaurant" season ticket seats are crazy expensive. (Right side) [​IMG]

The rest is pretty reasonable

16. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I should also add that the league's inaugural game between Hamilton and York shows as no tickets available. Whether that means the stadium is actually completely sold out or that they aren't yet offering all sections for sale, I don't know. Either way, it looks good.

17. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    They aren't just crazy expensive - they look lousy for anyone who actually wants to watch the game. "Hey, let's pay triple prices for tickets so far from the field that our best view will be on the bar TV!" I don't get people who go to sporting events with no intention of actually enjoying the event.

18. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The game is free. The owner Bob Young is absorbing the costs himself and opened the entire stadium. It's going to be full 25k in attendance.

Those with season tickets and supporter's groups are guaranteed spots.

Those with season tickets with York 9 will get free transportation at teams' expense to and from Hamilton with seats in the York 9 section.

The rest of the tickets, you had to give your email and how many tickets you wanted and they give it away via draw. I won mine so, I'll be there.

If there's no spots left, that must mean they had more names than available seats

19. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Those seats aren't for us peasants ;)
    Those are for the rich who already pay insane money to access Spruce Meadows. Cavalry must be confident / already have their commitment to spend extra pocket change for CPL

20. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Even if the tickets were free, why go to an event you have no interest in actually attending?

Anyway, if the Cavalry can get some extra revenue from them, then good.

21. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I've never been myself but it's said that Spruce Meadows is a top 3, some say Top 2, horse show facility in the world. I'm guessing, might as well take advantage while you're there for horse shows to check out soccer. They must have inquired before setting the prices.

With owners like the Southern family, money isn't an issue for that club

22. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because it is the first CPL game in history? ;) And it is free..

The biggest issue they are going to have is the "no show" rate. If it is free, its easy to just blow it off if something else comes up.. Not that it'll happen. I fully expect a pretty full stadium.

The other hard part is for people not to get disappointed when attendance drops off a cliff for the remainder of the season.. The highest attended game in MLS history was the inaugural game in the Rose Bowl when 70k people showed up. It took 20 years for MLS and the arrival of Atlanta for MLS to eclipse that number.

23. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #3073 Robert Borden, Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    That's the 2nd game for Forge and what's left. I think they'll be fine!;)

*Hamilton is definitely not TFC territory
    [​IMG]

24. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    ^ To be clear, those are the tickets remaining in the 10 000 reduced capacity configuration, not the 23 000 full stadium capacity expected for the free, inaugural game of the league.

But, yes, it is promising that they are very close to a sell out. If they could hold that going forward and pull an average around 10 000 it would be a coup and confirm them as a flagship team in the CPL.

I'm not sure anyone would claim Hamilton was "home territory" for TFC. Hamilton has always been its own entity rather than a suburb of Toronto. Ticats fans would object to the question even being raised.

25. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    A quick trip on the MLS threads and lots of our American friends are still under the belief that the 3 MLS teams have ALL of Canada lockdown and that outside of the 3 metro areas... villages, igloos, countrysides etc...while 2/3 of Canadians live outside those markets:)