Canadian Premier league

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mikehurst21, Feb 3, 2016.

1. CanadaManUfan

CanadaManUfan New Member

Manchester United
    Canada
    Feb 22, 2019
    You two need to hug it out!!! Just saying

2. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    As acknowledged in my post there certainly are weaknesses. But while they are not perfect, they are not completely worthless either. There is enough correlation that sites like 538 factor it into their models. One of the reasons I don't think 538's model works particularly well for MLS and USL is the historically large negative bias towards N American talent in Transfermarket.

A big part of the is value is going to very quite a bit based on circumstances. Players are going to need a premium to go to somewhere like China vs most European countries. In addition to the league of the buyer, what is paid also is dependent on player wages, length of contract, player nationality timing and other factors not related to a players ability. But since CPL and USL have many of the same issues with regard Transfermarket, if CPL looks far more like USL1 than USL Championship, it likely to be the case. It will be more clear as we see player movement following the inaugural seasons for both.

3. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    I'm just focusing on what you have repeatedly stated, not what you claim others might have stated about USL. You have claimed CPL will be much better than USL to more recently stating in will be no worse. There is little objective evidence to support either of these claims.

4. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    What position was Davies playing when he scored his first goal? Seems to me he was playing the same position as David Alaba.

I don't see anyone making these arguments. These are simply your typical strawman to deflect from the often ridiculous claims you've made. Canada's failures have been a result the lack of capable coaching in the country. MLS by itself was never going to fix that. It takes a lot of time and it is not like the league is doing nothing. Given you claims I was surprised to read Inside the Whitecaps' ambitious, Canada-wide academy program earlier this week.

5. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Agree to disagree

It isn't only my opinion, the league, fans, those within the CSA and some journalists thinks so. Again, I don't fault you for thinking otherwise nor is it my job to convince you otherwise.

Agree to disagree

Like I wrote, "his time in Vancouver" is where the regression was noticed when compared to when he played at his natural position earlier on.

Can Bayern polish his game so he can be a Bundesliga versatile player? Perhaps. But even the most hardcore Vancouver fan would cringe at the idea of giving Robinson the kind of credit you're implying he deserves.

:ROFLMAO:
    Sure, agree to disagree. I won't argue the expert on Canadian soccer developmental system. An MLS article praising an MLS team... Case close you got me there! ;)

6. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  7. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Canada defeats French Guyana 4-1 to clinch League A and Gold Cup berth.

The game being broadcasted on TSN nationwide was a great opportunity for CPL to run adds during halftime which they did.
    1109977045180645377 is not a valid tweet id

8. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh. I guess things aren’t going to work out for CPL and the Fury...

Robert Borden repped this.
  9. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Potentially related news.. Toronto Wolfpack are reportedly working with the Fury’s owner to bring Rugby Football League to Ottawa.

10. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should have followed a link... OSEG has already bought a third division RFL club and is in the process of getting league approval to relocate it to Ottawa.

11. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That's actually fantastic news.
    Excuse my language... F the Fury

12. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be a good amount of backlash among Fury fans against the new Ottawa club if the Fury fight it. But the question would be how much of a backlash and for how long. A lot of Cosmos fans swore NYCFC was doomed to failure because they were NYC’s team and it was the Cosmos that struggled to pull in crowds.

13. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The league has done well keeping a low profile in Ottawa. This looks like a denial of sanction is imminent by CONCACAF for 2020 and since OSEG shows no signs of joining CPL then that's on them.

CPL will most likely let OSEG fold the club before going public with attempts to bring CPL in Ottawa. Those fans will have little option but to follow the new team. They don't have the luxury of another USL team in the area to follow instead of the CPL. They will never support TFC and Montreal is doubtful + too far

14. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #2989 Robert Borden, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    I'm surprised that 2 groupes are fighting for the Montreal Region spot. Hoping the losing bid goes to Quebec City.

Lower mainland BC can only be theses cities
    • Vancouver
    • Surrey
    • Burnaby
    • Langley
    This would point out to Kelowna

Element 7ero repped this.
  15. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    In the big picture I just want to see a successful Ottawa CPL team. That said, it is/would be disappointing for the Fury not to work out. We have little enough soccer history in Canada that it would be nice to keep the team. Also, it would be good to have the synergy of working with the football team instead of having two separate ownership groups fighting for fan attention and stadium dates.

16. Impactsupporter

Impactsupporter New Member

May 18, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Agreed 100% And the Quebec Soccer Federation should tell losing bid to relocate to Quebec.

Vancouver is out of the question as the Whitecaps play downtown, Surrey is building a stadium but more for track and field, so that leaves Burnaby with Swangard Stadium or Langley who are building a 7000 seat stadium at the Langley Events Centre.

17. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's pretty common to add a soccer field to the middle of a track field.. Not exactly the ideal situation.

18. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sources had said that Soccer Quebec had ask Alex Bunbury group to go to Quebec City instead but he's been adamant about Laval.

What we know is that Rob Friend wanted the team in Surrey but couldn't come to terms with Surrey so he merged his bid with the one in Victoria and founded Pacific. He kept saying that he still wanted to be involved in a lower mainland team. Sources say that he has some kind of "territorial rights" there (rumors).

Langley seems to make more sense as people in the area said that it's only 30 minutes from Surrey. What makes it a stronger candidate is the new approved Skytrain expansion to Langley connecting it to downtown Vancouver via Surrey Central. You're talking capturing over 550k and adding the population of Vancouver having access to the Skytrain, that's almost all of Metro Vancouver having a convenient access to Langley Central.

I expect Langley to be easier to work with than Surrey [​IMG]

19. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to be honest here... The extension of the Skytrain down to Langley is probably not going to result in a lot of people from Surrey and Vancouver heading down to watch a CPL club. The flow of traffic for entertainment options is generally from the suburbs into the population centers, it generally isn't going to be the other way.

The most likely outcome is going to be Langley fans heading to BC Place via the extension to watch Whitecaps games. As it stands, Whitecaps fans in Langley are looking at a 17km drive to Surrey, then a 35 minute SkyTrain ride to BC Place. If they have the option to hop on a train in Langley and ride the entire way to BC Place, that would make things significantly easier for them.

Granted, Surrey being a recent transition to a population center might not have that ingrained yet, so the line going from Surrey to Langley may be a conduit for fans to a CPL team.. it would also depend on where in Langley it goes. If it is near Langley Center (or even better, somewhere closer to Surrey), I could see Langley work. However, TBH, I think it would be better if the team was in Surrey over Langley. Langley hasn't hit "major city" status yet, so the getting the mindset of going from Langley to Surrey for a CPL game is a much smaller hurdle than the mindset of going from Surrey to Langley.

20. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's probably also worth noting that the extension to Langley has not been approved. The funding for mass transit between Surrey and Langley was for a light rail line. going with a Skytrain line adds a billion dollars to the cost and provincial and federal governments have said they will not make any additional funds available. Surrey will need to either come up with the billion dollars themselves, or find some way to trim a billion dollars from the cost..

21. Impactsupporter

Impactsupporter New Member

May 18, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    And it all comes down to "which area would attract people from the Fraser Valley, Surrey or Langley??" to go see a CPL Lower Mainland team.

As well it should be asked what stadiums exist in Surrey and are they 1)accessible to public transit (Skytrain, etc) and 2)would they have enough seats to host a CPL team

22. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surrey's new mayor wants to build a multi-sport stadium (including soccer) in Bear Park where the existing track is.. The number of seats is the question as the Mayor claims it could be up to 12,000, while his spokesman is saying around 2,200. I would imagine it would be above the 2,200 amount of a CPL club agreed to play there.

https://www.surreynowleader.com/new...ild-international-stadium-in-bear-creek-park/

Bear park is about 4km away from Surrey Center and about 2km away from the proposed Skytrain line to Langley (but that assumes a station is located at the closest place.

I would count that as a bit of a strike against the stadium location from a "mass transit" perspective, but that could be overcome by existing bus lines and/or the CPL club having a shuttle service from the Skytrain stations to the stadium.

23. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I thought the project was a go with the release of Skytrain rendering of station. Since it's an election year, who knows but LRT or Skytrain, the transit helps a CPL team in the Fraser Valley.

I won't presume to know the habits of Suburban Vancouver but in Montreal region, there was lots of entertainment poles being built in Brossard (Dix30) in Laval (Carrefour + Bell Place). This caused a significant change of habits for suburban who preferred staying closer to home. Same for Toronto, North York has everything, same for Scarborough, Vaughan or Mississauga. I rarely go downtown. In regards to sports, sure they will keep going to the established teams but I wouldn't underestimate the willingness of supporting a local club closer to them. There's a few thousands fans ready to jump ship anyways.

I agree that Surrey is more of a major city than Langley since it will surpass even Vancouver in overall population in less than 2 decades. It's a more ideal location for sure

24. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. But changing modes of transportation is a deal breaker for a lot of people, particularly if it requires paying multiple fares rather than a single fare. I'm pretty sure Translink has single fare, so paying multiple fares won't be an issue, but people any time you add transit changes, you're going to lose people. It would be significantly better if the line was an extension of Skytrain.

I don't know about Surrey passing Vancouver.. At some point they are going to do what they did with Toronto and the various cities around it and make a mega-city. Metro Vancouver has 2.5 million people with a fairly dense population in Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, and Richmond. The cities have basically grown together at this point, so it "makes sense" to merge them politically as well.

25. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    News from Saskatchewan
    Also according to Rollins, BC lower mainland club is close to finalize the deal for the 2020 expansion. Montreal is imminent.