Canadian Premier league

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mikehurst21, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Our 1st MLS to CPL Loan

2. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    And now the starting keeper for the MLS Vancouver Whitecaps. So I guess USL isn't a totally wasted pathway for advancement.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  3. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I wonder how this works for the Canadian Championship? Telfer is a guy I would expect to see on the field for TFC during that event.

4. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's not good of Montreal, but on the other hand, playing in USL means the player gets in front of every MLS team that has a USL team in that league. It's a little sketchier now that some MLS teams have moved down to USL2, but the point remains the same, players in USL are getting a lot of visibility with MLS teams.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  5. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #2905 Robert Borden, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Let`s be real here. Which US-based team will use a precious international spot on a Canadian? Not a lot unless they are exceptionally good. Hence the aggravation of the situation of MLS operating out of Canada but not recognizing Canadians as domestic players. That`s what pissed off Montagliani when he took over the CSA, that his predecessors went along with that.

USL in reality is soccer limbo for the average Canadian talent that could be MLS level, but an American or International of comparable talent or better will always have first crack at that spot. USL Soccer limbo is unlikely to get you to be seen by other leagues besides MLS and with the growing gap and green card free for all, it will start to get less likely that USL to MLS will be a viable option.

Maybe those in the US, but Fresno, Ottawa and TFC II, doubtful. This is where the trend of forsaking USL purgatory for CPL contracts will only increase.

6. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Malyk Hamilton was born in Calgary and developed the early stages of his game at local youth clubs; South West United and Calgary Foothills. At the age of 13 years old, Hamilton moved to London, England and joined West Ham United Academy in order to pursue his dream of playing professional soccer

He spent 8 years in London playing for West Ham United’s Academy, before moving back to Canada and signing for Toronto FC II in March 2018. During his time in England, Hamilton also represented Canada internationally on the youth stage and is seen as one of the country’s exciting up and coming players

Cavalry FC is delighted to capture the signature of young Hamilton who becomes one of the club’s first players to meet the U21 domestic player requirements. Under the Canadian Premier League (CPL) operating rules, each team are required to have a maximum of 23 players on the roster, of which a minimum of 3 must be under 21 years of age (Jan 1st 1998 or younger). The significance of this league rule is to continue to develop young Canadians and the U21’s are required to play a minimum of 1,000 combined minutes in regular league play.

7. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If this happens, Pacific and Valour will be my top 2 prediction to win the cup this year. Both Gutierrez comes from Chile D1 clubs and are very talented. Nice upgrade to Valour who already looks solid on paper

8. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #2908 Robert Borden, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Official
    He`s from the both CIS York Lions and League 1 Ontario. He`s the perfect example of great talent coming from outside the TFC system. To TFC`s credit, they did started to take somewhat of a look on what`s being done elsewhere hence he`s signing with the 1st team.

The question is how many talents were lost when they were adamant at excluding everybody else? That's the tragedy of it all. Luckily, CPL is making it their mandate to leave no stones unturned

9. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  10. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it is fair to say that not many US based teams will use an international spot on Canadians, but the Canadian MLS clubs also have visibility there and yes, Montreal might not be using it, but Vancouver and Toronto seem to be.

The question becomes, what kind of visibility is CPL going to have that USL clubs don't have.. The other leagues in Concacaf league aren't going to be attractive to Canadians as they'll make more money in CPL and if the CPL team makes it out of CL and into CCL, Liga MX teams aren't going to be interested in Canadians unless they have Mexican ancestry. After that, CPL is going to have the same issue USL clubs have due to the Canadian MLS team sucking up the scouts for European clubs.

11. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Europeans were already scouting Canadian academies, making even more puzzling the arrogance of MLS Canadian teams to simply ignore them all this time. It might not be something that's flagrant or advertised but many Canadian academies have deep ties with Euro sides and have established connections/relationships. That's how as an example, Gent got their hands on Jonathan David straight out of Ottawa at such a young age under the clueless nose of Montreal and Toronto.

Yes, Euro sides are looking at MLS but they have also been looking at proven Canadian academies with a track record of developing good talents already. The reality as someone told me from League 1
    • the Europeans knows us better than we know ourselves
    Where some people still have this perception that Canada is a just a soccer wasteland, Europeans don't think that and know that it isn't the case. They are fully aware of the context and that a "broken pro-system" doesn't mean there's no talent in Canada. Canadian Academies has produced quality players and they will be working with CPL (they provide the talent, CPL gives them the stage to perform at the next level)

As for USL, I won't presume to know to what extend they are looking at talent there or not, but on this side of the border, they simply aren't and players know that. As I had previously mentioned, Euro leagues have already been in contact with CPL. Commissioner Clanachan said that they are watching the launch of CPL and its progress with great interest. League 1 Ontario was already getting guys signed to European leagues, why would CPL be expected to do anything less?

12. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're over-estimating the quality of Canadian academies based on a small handful of players. The players you've been mentioning tend to be the exception and not the rule. I'm also not sure how deep the European scouting is.. If the guys that are getting pulled over to Europe are similar to the ones getting pulled over from the US, those players are coming out of the youth national camps and not because a European scout is watching academy games.

As an example, the US has a number of players in Europe at all levels, including EPL and Bundesliga clubs. I would never point at Christian Pulisic, Tim Weah, Josh Sargent, etc and say "See! The American development system is fine!! It's MLS that's broken!!" The problem with the US (and from my outsider position with Canada) is that the exceptions are just showing how broken the entire system is. The raw talent is there, but coaching and system is not up to par to produce the numbers. Having more "professional" development academies is always a good thing and CPL should help there, but I would highly caution against pointing at Canadians in Europe as evidence of anything.

13. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  14. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  15. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The crazy part is that all Montreal had to do was to loan him to Hamilton but they insisted on Ottawa.

He'd rather join Forge than resign an MLS contract sending him to USL on loan. That's the trend I think that might pick up over the years.

16. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    If I'm a Canadian kid with marginal pro prospects I'd rather be playing in Ontario or Halifax where my family and friends can watch and be with rather than out in the middle of nowhere in place like Fresno, McAllen Tx or Reno. But what is your logic that anyone would be more likely to scout the CPL instead of USL? You once claimed CPL will be far better than USL while your latest claim is that it will be no wors. USL will have plenty of MLS top prospects. What will draw scouts to CPL instead? You keep trumpeting the "top league in Canada." But what does that matter for talent scouts? For example, do any scouts in Europe care that the Welsh league is the top league in Wales?

17. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  18. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  19. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #2919 Robert Borden, Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    Correct, we're talking about your average Canadian who's most likely to be a career CPL guy, so CPL makes more sense

Why does it have to be one over the other?

MLS/USL players are scouted for American talent. CPL will be scouted for Canadian talent. I don't know what's so hard about it.

CPL has more opportunities for the Canadian player than USL. They are likely to have more minutes, might compete for CONCACAF league. That's more chances to emerge as a star and get noticed than USL, which is an American league. There's no FC Montreal, Fresno isn't working out for Vancouver and TFC II are going to USL One.

If you're looking for Americans, I'm sure they are looking at MLS only...maybe USL Championship going forward. If they want Canadian talents, they will be looking at those on MLS teams and CPL, I don't buy they look at USL for Canadian talent and lots of player's testomany says the same. They comment on even MLS teams not looking their, let alone scouts from Europe.

Bravo for USL. If those prospects are that good, they should be seeing MLS minutes...but that's not really what's happening, right? (Green cards)

I don't really care about the US Leagues vs Canada league comparison, my interest is reiterating that CPL is more attractive than USL for Canadian players like Choiniere who turned down an MLS contract because he refused be sent to USL. Others went straight to CPL instead of resigning and joining USL sides. Others left their overseas clubs for CPL, not USL. At some point, facts matters too

Why does it have to be one over the other? They will scout CPL because that's where Canadian talents will be.

It has been sanctioned as such. MLS isn't a Canadian league.

Apples and oranges. You're talking Welsh clubs that's been in English football since WW1 and a territory belonging to the UK since like forever.

MLS in Canada is barely a decade old while Canada is it's own country with it's own identity.

I don't know if the Welsh league gets scouted, but I would assume that it does. There are Welsh playing in other countries.

Expansion Franchise repped this.
  20. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  21. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Not to mention that the Welsh Premier League is probably somewhere around the 6th or 7th tier of the English pyramid as far as quality. What really drives me crazy with the Welsh/Canadian comparison is the imperialistic nature of it. Canada is a sovereign nation, Wales is not!

Robert Borden repped this.
  22. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no difference by FIFA standards tho...

23. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Is there some reason why anyone other than the Canadian national team and their fans would be interested in Canadian talent as as opposed to just plain talent? Are there some special ties like African's have with France that make Canadians more desirable than Jamaicans, Americans, Costa Rican's, Colombians? If you are just plain interested in talent, then why would you invest money and resources to scout in CPL as opposed to USL where guys like Tyler Adams, Efrain Alvarez, George Bello etc ply their trade? If you a young Colombian, why would would you want to go to CPL instead of USL? Again I'm not knocking the CPL but instead questioning validity of your derogatory "USL limbo" statements.

24. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #2924 Robert Borden, Mar 9, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    Because they already are interested. CPL won't change that, just facilitate the scouting process.

The likes of Davies, Tabla, Millar and David just makes the country more desirable to scouts. They know there's talent in Canada so they will scout just like they are already doing. More desirable? Or is it to ensure they don't miss the next David?

They are more likely to scout both CPL and MLS. They know that both countries have talented players under 2 massively different sets of circumstances.

it's limbo for Canadians. Maybe not for US guys but for Canadians? Absolutely.

25. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Puerto Rico seems more analogous than Canada, though.

Robert Borden repped this.