Canadian Premier league

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mikehurst21, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully that wasn't the major announcement.... They really need to pick up the pace of these announcements.. Starting with the schedule.. That really should have been out by now.

2. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Some notable parts from their press release:

A VW logo on the sleeve of every jersey?

Well that settles it then.

3. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    However they are handling their marketing strategy, it's definitely working. They are trending very often and generating a lot of excitements.

As for the schedule, it's imminent. Let's not forget that they start almost 2 months after MLS which revealed it schedule at the beginning of the year. I would say that sometimes this week or next week is acceptable.

4. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Bold move from the league

5. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you misspelled "odd". ;) Not only is it the same day, but it is one hour after TFC's kickoff.. It wouldn't have hurt them to have kick-off be at 4 or 5, that way people could have made a double header of it...

6. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #2606 Robert Borden, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Don't believe everything you hear form die hard fans of TFC who talks like they are "Ontario's team". TV ratings definitely does not support such claim. TFC is mostly a "Toronto" team. I personally think it's a "South of Eglinton Avenue team, mostly downtown Toronto team"

TFC has NOT conquered Hamilton, not even close. People exaggerates the few hundred coming out of the train at Exhibition has "conquering the entire region". Maple Leafs, Raptors and Jays? Yes, TV ratings supports that claim, TFC? Not even close

Forge are pretty much expected to have the Hamilton area locked down. They are more likely to attract neighboring Halton region and London metro area than TFC. They have a track record of capturing most of Western Ontario in CFL and since we're talking about the same ownership, I'm sure their marketing is working diligently to keep it that way for soccer.

However, if the game was in Toronto in York 9 stadium, then yes, it would have been a bad move. I expect that we won't see York 9 hosting games the same weekends as TFC.

7. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying TFC is "Ontario's team", I'm just saying that they could have had a clean space by either having the game on a different day, or different time. This is a big day for the league and they seem to be muddying the waters by overlapping with TFC's game.

8. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If the league's success hinges on avoiding all of TFC's dates, then it shouldn't have started to begin with. North York would have been a mistake, Hamilton was the right call. A TFC game might means that most Torontonians (who watches MLS) will follow TFC (against Portland...maybe Giovinco-less has he wants out).

However, I think the rest (those who watches soccer) will want to see history in the making with the inaugural game.

That being said, the ONE team you want to avoid having a schedule conflict with, Blue Jays. They play at 3pm that day at Rogers Centre. The game will be close to being over by then. Blue Jays have an established National following. It's more dangerous to have a conflict with them than TFC.

9. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    They may have wanted to avoid TFC just to have a clear field for their first ever game.

That said, the CPL's business model apparently includes placing teams in MLS markets. If that's the case then avoiding TFC (or other MLS) games becomes a moot point.

CANPRO and Yoshou repped this.
  10. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  11. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    In Feb 2018, CONCACAF Champions League' Forum
    He added
    At the time I felt that he had quite a bit of over exuberance in his optimism about the level of CPL spending. Still do as I don't see the revenue to support a high level signings needed for the league to be better than the top end of the USL Championship. So far, virtually none of the players I've seen signed are recognizable to me.

Now I willing to accept that this is because I'm used to watching US and international players the come from MLS and US colleges I live in Southern California so I know a heck of a lot more about level of Mexican players and Mexican youth teams but not much about the level in Canada other than Vancouver had a pretty good academy program, Canadian teams have had good playoff runs in PDL and there are appears to be some pretty good academies programs in the Ontario area.

So what do people feel the level will be? Is CPL like MLS with LA/Atlanta owners at one end and Krafts at the other? is it too early to tell which if some teams want to make a splash while other are very cautious? I'm curious. Best of luck as the more successful teams there are, the better it will be for kids trying to follow their dreams and fans of the game.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  12. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's way too early to tell just how the team is going to shake out. In part because of the issue you identified in an earlier part of your post where the Canadians they are picking up are largely coming from the Canadian amateur leagues, MLS washouts, and lower division international soccer, while the internationals are coming from lower division international soccer or less than good international teams. We also don't know how things are going with regards to attendance. It seems like there is the predictable mixed bag on season tickets with some seeming to do well, while others are struggling. *shrug*

Mostly, we'll find out in 3 months once the league kicks off and each team gets their home opener out of the way.

13. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #2613 Robert Borden, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    Let's not forget that the winter transfer window hasn't opened yet for North America. International signings should be announce then and we'll have a clearer picture of CPL year 1. As the league grows and expand, they will be able to afford and go after costlier internationals and I personally believe that CPL has an undeniable edge at getting those talents than USL.

As for the Canadians being signed, a lot of the perception has to do with them being unknown for the most part by those who aren't following Canadian Soccer and developmental system who do produce quality players (Larin, Davies, David, Osorio and lots more), unfortunately...some quality players ends up with nowhere to play due to the current problem of having no league to get to the next level. Going to Europe is very hard and as a Canadian, triple hard as they don't get as many opportunities.

The domestic signings so far are good, much better than most expected including myself. Nothing indicates that the Canadian domestics are any less capable than the American domestic in USL and in some cases MLS. Lots of these guys played for the Canadian national teams as well. Lack of clubs leading to lack of minutes, no domestic leagues to give them minutes to further develop and MLS sides unwilling to play younger players* explains where they are right now, not lack of talent or potential, hence the purpose of this league, no more talent falling through the cracks and leaving no stones unturned.

*Zachary Brault-Guillard on loan from Lyon to MTL is far from guaranteed from seeing lots of minutes. Remi Garde is known to not liking playing younger players. That's just 1 example.

CPL however has the 1000 mandatory minutes per teams for youth players and they must have at least 3 U21 players on rosters. That's massive for talent retention and an edge over opting for USL contracts in the future, that includes youth internationals who may chose Canada and the CPL.

What we're seeing is a healthy mix of guys playing in other leagues coming home and the top guys from D3...certainly not the free for all signings of U-Sport players and D3 average players most expected.

Another missed details is how the lack of 2nd team in Vancouver and Montreal is starting to bite them very hard. Where Toronto FC has been signing their promising youth talent left and right knowing they can send them to USL One, MTL and VAN can't do that. CPL has been raiding their academies of potential youth talent that those 2 teams simply have nowhere to put them. Pacific FC getting their hands on a talent such as Noah Verhoeven from Vancouver was a massive surprised.He looked like a pro during the Toulon Tournament scoring for Canada. Also, Kadin Chung, which Vancouver wasted in USL, opted to leave for Germany instead of resigning with Vancouver, he scored internationally for Canada U team and is ranked high in the program...yet, Vancouver let him fall through the cracks. The fact that TFC2 will be in USL One and not Championship makes CPL more attractive to these young players wanting and needing minutes.

This is where the Ottawa Fury angle comes in. The MLS sides will most likely be looking to loan their overflow to Ottawa, while Ottawa fight to stay in USL Championship. The CSA and CONCACAF looking to end this will be yet a major blow to MTL and VAN...TOR as well.

The league signing these young talents to multi years contract for cheap, developing them and selling high is just smart business and good for Canadian soccer. Our pool will expand drastically helping the national program.

14. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  15. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    U21 signing for HFX Wanderers. He played for the Atlantic Selects in the win against Fortuna Dusseldorf U friendly.

16. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  17. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    According to sources CPL will have a TV deal with TSN...

Details to come...

18. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  19. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So here's my summary of the York 9 Meet & Greet held at Shoeless Joe's in Woodbridge. Wednesday January 30th.

I've got the sound files of the whole presentation..

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19york050.htm

All York 9 SSH will get a free ticket to the opening game in Hamilton and free transportation to and from the game by the new team sponsor The TOK Group
    (coach/buses).

20. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Not to hijack the thread but no. TFC sold an aging superstar who wanted a longer, richer contract that the team was willing to give rather than lose him for free to free agency at the end of the season. I'm sad to see him go but I understand the business side.

Let's see who TFC pick up before deciding. The departures of Giovinco, van der Wiel, and Vazquez frees up over $9 million USD in salary. That's about the payroll of the entire CPL. The team has room to find some talented replacements.

21. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  22. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #2622 Robert Borden, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    I was joking with Defoe.

Overplaying for players proves nothing...they finished (last?) while having a massive payroll. Just need to be smarter about their signings.

Just stating that Giovinco was a massive reason for the rise of popularity for TFC and bringing them to respectability. Giovinco's departure will hurt... no doubt about it, especially if the club can't replace him with someone comparable or better.

If Bez was still there... maybe... but with him gone, we might go back to good old drama TFC.

23. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  24. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Ameobi, 30, played for FC Edmonton from 2014 through 2017, and ranks second all-time in goals (26) and third in appearances (107) across all competitions. Ameobi spent the 2018 season with FC Cincinnati of the United Soccer League

Mortotsi, 25, spent the 2013 and 2014 seasons with FC Edmonton, making 14 appearances across all competitions. After moving to Edmonton from Ghana as a child, the midfielder played his youth football with KC Trojans.

Moses, 28, played for FC Edmonton during the 2014 and 2015 seasons, making 47 appearances and scoring two goals. Moses spent the 2018 season with FF Jaro of the Finnish second division, making 23 appearances and scoring three goals. The Trinidadian international has six caps for his country.

Soria, 29, is from Alicante, Spain, but has experience playing in North America, having spent time with Ottawa Fury in 2014 and Puerto Rico FC in 2016 and 2017. Soria spent the 2018 season playing for SD Formentera in Segundo Divisiόn B, the third tier of Spanish football.

Diouck, 24, was born in Senegal, but moved to Belgium at the age of 9, and has represented Belgium internationally at the youth level. Most recently, Diouck played for K.V.K. Tienen-Hageland in the Belgian Third Division.

25. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    I really like Edmonton's recent signings. Good experience, aware of the challenges of playing in Canada.