Canadian Football League

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Khansingh, Aug 31, 2002.

1. hobbes

hobbes Member

Jul 26, 1999
    regina, saskatchewan
    I'm not too sure what impact you think the CJFL has or seems to have. It has 19 teams and grooms a lot of pretty good players for the CIS. No more, no less. It's obviously second tier to the CIS. I wasn't trying to make it sound important, just pointing out that in the case of the two quarterbacks mentioned their CJFL experience made them pretty old by time they were done their CIS careers.

Yup Edmonton won. Well played, you definitely deserved the vistory. If Fleming was on his game it wouldn't have been close.

But as was my original point: Are you the undisputed best team in the CFL? No. Will you beat us should we meet in the playoffs? Not sure. Definitely not a guarantee.

Oh and it's spelled S-A-S-K-A-T-C-H-E-W-A-N Mr. Doyle.

cheers,
    hobbes

2. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Most of the BCFC teams are within Vancouver? Do you know your geography?

Victoria is on the island. Okanagan and Kamloops are in the interior. Chilliwack is 90 minutes away from Vancouver by car. Perhaps you can list South Fraser, Abbotsford and Tri-City as being in the "Greater Vancouver" area, but definitely not "within Vancouver".

3. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    How can you tell?

Is their a ditch that separates the communities?

4. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

No, there are plenty of miles that seperate the communities.

Don't figure you'd understand, you live in Edmonton, and I live in North Vancouver. Suffice to say you haven't go a clue. The term "Greater Vancouver" covers a great distance. For instance Surrey is lumped into the "Greater Vancouver" area. Yet the city of Surrey has a population of 350000 alone. City of Burnaby also is part of "greater Vancouver" (right next to Vancouver City-where Swangard Stadium is located) and has a population of 197292. The city of Vancouver has a population 560000+.

The term may be "greater Vancouver" but they are all seperate cities. Hence your comment about all of the teams in the BCFC being within Vancouver is wrong.

You're wrong. Deal with it.

5. hobbes

hobbes Member

Jul 26, 1999
    regina, saskatchewan
    I wasn't even going to get into the 'all the teams based in Vancouver' claim, but when you consider it took me about two hours to drive from North Vancouver to Richmond they're pretty disctinct communities (and they feel like distinct communities). Never mind that Surrey's even further and many teams (Victoria, Kamloops, Okanagan and Valley Huskers) aren't in Vancouver no matter how loose your definition is.

Why don't you like the CJFL? The Edmonton Huskies are even playing really well. Another team for you to brag about. . .

Oh and great job by the Esks catching that woman from the building.

cheers,
    hobbes

6. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I said most, not all. Since most of those people in "Greater Vancouver" work in vancouver itself, and they rely on the asistance of the big city. They might as well consider it to be part of Vancouver.

No one follows the team since they switch their home matches from one venue to another. Not to mention they will crack when the playoffs come. The only intrest with them is the 50/50 draws at the Esks games.

7. Fulham9

Fulham9 Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Re: Re: Re: Canadian Football League

Simon Fraser was a member of the NAIA, which is mainly made up of small private colleges. It played American football in a conference with small colleges in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle Pacific, Pacific Lutheran, Western Washington, Linfield, some others). The other schools in the conference made the jump to NCAA Div. III a few years ago, and I don't know if Simon Fraser is still playing American football or not.

8. Fulham9

Fulham9 Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Houston, Texas, USA

Interesting, but I would have thought the opposite. I would have thought that Canada would have an advantage over the US in producing quarterbacks because of the greater emphasis on passing in Canadian football. For instance, Texas has a very good track record of producing players at all positions except quarterback. Texas high school football is traditionally a running game, in contrast to places like Pennsylvania and the West Coast, which produce more quarterbacks.

9. Gordon

Gordon New Member

May 6, 2002
    Saskatoon, SK
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Canadian Football League

Simon Fraser is now a member of Canada West (CIAU). Current Standings at this link:

http://www.universitysport.ca/football/football_stand.asp?file=league_sp3_l154_s132

10. Tick

Tick Member

Sep 30, 2000
    Rochester, NY
    I wasn't surprised at all... I grew up in Anchorage, Alaska, and I've seen it there. All champions in Alaska run the ball, usually in the wishbone or option. Occasionally, a team will go pass-wacky and roll out the run-n-shoot and do pretty well for the first half of the season. However, by the time the playoff come around, it's below freezing, there's snow on the ground, and nobody can catch the ball. The running teams whoop up on the passing teams.

So, running is the emphasis, and I think it's almost totally due to the climate. Makes sense that it would be the same in most of Canada.

11. Tick

Tick Member

Sep 30, 2000
    Rochester, NY
    These are the guys I remember. If you can't tell, I went to a Big 12 school, which is why I recognize their players more than others.

How's Bishop doing for Toronto? He was very exciting in college, and I thought he had a good shot at playing some for New England as a wildcard player who might catch, run, and pass a bit... but he stayed at straight QB and got passed up by Brady.

Also, I thought that I read something about Phillips leaving Montreal over a contract dispute or something... I take it that they worked things out?

12. Fulham9

Fulham9 Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Houston, Texas, USA
    It still doesn't make sense to me that a team could base its offense on the running game in three-down football.

13. Gordon

Gordon New Member

May 6, 2002
    Saskatoon, SK
    Perhaps not, but it is true. In High School I was my team's leading reciever with a mighty 13 receptions over the course of an 8 game season. All told, we attempted 67 pass plays, completing 30. Relative to my previous post on training and playing time, Grade 10 was the first year I played any type of organized football. That was fairly typical, and still is, of Canadian HS football. There are some junior "Pop Warner" type of leagues, but they are not that big in terms of Number of players.

14. Fulham9

Fulham9 Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Houston, Texas, USA

Just curious, was your HS team able to move the chains doing that? It sounds like Canadian HS football must feature a lot of punting. Have the HS leagues ever considered going to 4-down football?

I think the boom in junior football is a relatively recent phenomenon. When I was growing up (1980's), there was only one "Pop Warner" type league for all of Houston. Youth football was and is far outnumbered by youth soccer. Most people here don't start playing organized football until 7th grade. Or 9th grade, if your mom doesn't let you play middle school football.

15. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The only time you will likely see Canadian Schools and 4 downs is if a team travels south to play a game. One HS here, M.E. Lazerte, played a California school several years back.

16. hobbes

hobbes Member

Jul 26, 1999
    regina, saskatchewan
    Once you get to higher levels of play, the need to pass is more important, but even at the high school level running the ball is key. It's not even the cold, in Sask the wind is almost as big a factor.

In a different life I was part of one of the better HS teams in the province. We had a QB who started a season in Canadian college ball and two receivers who played Uni ball. So we could have had a good passing attack, but we ran almost non-stop (mind you all five guys we used to run the ball with played post-secondary ball).

We ran with our two backs and ran counters, traps and shovel passes with our two slots. We certainly didn't have too much trouble moving the chains. We ran for 400 yards as a team three times and 500+ once.

You need some balance. I've seen teams ride one great runner a long way only to have a team put eight or nine in the box and try to stop the one guy.

We threw a lot of dumps and screens and would air it out a couple of times to stretch the D a little. We probably threw for 100 yards a game or close to it.

Bishop has been pretty bad. He looks lost. It's his first year in a new offence, but I expected a little more. Some guy named Jim Ballard has taken his spot. Ballard sucks too.

He would seem suited to the CFL, but so far hasn't done much. Not that the Argos offence is really that explosive to begin with.

Phillips came back and won't talk about why he left.

cheers,
    hobbes

17. Gordon

Gordon New Member

May 6, 2002
    Saskatoon, SK
    No, our High School couldn't move the ball, but everyone else did against us. We were 1-22 in my three years of playing and possibly the worst team in the History of the Regina HS League. But we were a soccer school and the First Regina team in about 30 years to make it to the Provincial Final, of course this was nearly 25 years ago.

18. hobbes

hobbes Member

Jul 26, 1999
    regina, saskatchewan
    Gordon, unless I missed my guess, we went to rival schools. Albeit years apart.

I wouldn't want to out you, but south side school? You would have been one of the first graduates?

It's funny you're a far better football school than soccer school now.

cheers,
    hobbes

19. Gordon

Gordon New Member

May 6, 2002
    Saskatoon, SK
    Yup. Went by the fear inspiring nickname of "Golden Suns". My (much) younger brother is now a Tartan.

20. hobbes

hobbes Member

Jul 26, 1999
    regina, saskatchewan
    Interesting. Is your much younger brother currently a Tartan? Because my much younger (though not quite the gap you have) is currently going there.

I always liked the name Golden Suns. It's a little different. The last thing the world needs is another team called the Wildcats or the Tigers or something.

Your school wears football uniforms from an Ernest movie. :eek:P

cheers,
    hobbes

21. Gordon

Gordon New Member

May 6, 2002
    Saskatoon, SK
    Yup, he goes by the name Benn Proctor. He played in the defensive backfield the last two years so I assume he is there again. Soccer was never his game.

22. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    CFL vs NFL ... allstar game , home and away series.

Each team plays by the hosting countries rules. I'd say we would give the NFL a run for it's money.

Also if the NFL invests in the CFL why doesn't EA Sports include CFL teams in John Madden ? I'd love to play a CFL video game.

23. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Their were plans for a football challenge between the CFL and NFL Europe. Apparently it never got of the ground.

24. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH! Someone created an A-League patch for FIFA 2003, and it occured to me that it would be great if someone could do a CFL patch for one of these football games. It would be pretty time-consuming, creating the uniforms, the stadiums, recording the different penalty calls (time count, no yards, major foul, etc.), but there must be an eager beaver somewhere with the time, the skill, the lack of a social life. And best of all, they could animate packed houses at Skydome and BC Place.:D

25. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Well I did the next best thing for Madden 2002. I downloaded CFL helmet logos, endzone graphics and field logo graphics off of the net, put them on clubs that had similar colour jerseys (Pittsburgh=Hamilton, Green Bay=Edmonton etc). It's the next best thing to a patch.

By the way, the EA sports A-League patches are created by a guy from Edmonton. I wonder if he's into the CFL and would create a CFL patch.

I still own a copy of Winter Valley Softwares CFL football 99 game. Unfortunately it was released full of bugs and is almost unplayable. Still I think it's a good collectors item.