Canadian expansion possibilities

Discussion in 'NWSL Expansion' started by WPS_Movement, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Not much difference, really. Wiktionary gives this for perceptual:
    I'd have gone for conceptual, myself, but it wasn't my question.

2. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think the easy adds to the league from Canada are Vancouver and Ottawa. There are existing organizations there and everything in place to move up.

3. NYSPIRITFAN

NYSPIRITFAN New Member

Apr 14, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New poster here. I just wanted to let everyone know that Grant Wahl reported on Fox Soccer's "Goals on Sunday" that both Toronto FC and the Vancouver Whitecaps are looking to buy into the NWSL.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  4. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Great news.

5. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, if true this is great news. Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland have a terrific rivalry in MLS that almost for sure will exist here. The MLS teams play for the Cascadia Cup, which was established by the teams' support groups. The Cascadia region (sometimes called Ecotopia) is somewhat united by a common culture that has bred a friendly, fun-loving, but serious competition in soccer, a sport that appears to be particularly suited to the region's culture.

6. raymondleone

raymondleone Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

7. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    I would also like to see Montreal get a franchise.
    The Montreal Flamingos, has a great ring to it, and would add more Canadian flair to the league.

8. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    Sorry if I haven't followed the LA Sol/AEG story but was Tim Leiweke executive at the time? And now that he's bringing his soccer knowledge and ambition to MLSE will Toronto want a franchise and try to implement a Designated Player rule and bring players like Marta back to North America?

9. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

...because the French Canada is so famous for the vast flocks of flamingos on its salt lakes...

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Im thinking we call them Montreal Poutine and that way they have a built in sponsor :)

11. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Yes
    I don't know where in the chain it came from (it might've been Phil Anschutz's call more than Tim's), but AEG was only in it for 1 year and they were not happy losing that much money so they didn't come back for a 2nd year. It was basically Marta's high salary and AEG charging the Sol a lot of money for HDC that lead to the losses. So it's not really something to inspire confidence in his passion for the women's game, unless he was being stopped by Phil.

12. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Designated Player rule? Not.:thumbsdown:

13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The article brings up a lot of good points, and I definitely agree Toronto would be a great addition to NWSL, probably better than Vancouver. Unfortunately, it doesn't add to the main sticking point: exactly how interested is TFC really? All we have (from either TFC or the 'Caps) is Wahl's tweet. If the tweet was a result of a simple teaser statement to gauge interest, Toronto NWSL may be just a fantasy. If the tweet was a result of overhearing real interest, then all is well. =-)

14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Good article. The WNY thing could be huge. It not only makes for nice rivalry but is a bus trip which is a major cost saving. If the league sustains, people may look back at rivalries that brought out the needed fans. A Toronto/WNY flash rivalry or the Vancouver/Seattle/Portland grouping as the things that helped get them over the hump.

15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The larger question is what does TFC think about the WWC. Do they think Canadian fans r going to fill stadiums to support women's soccer. If they do then the time to catch the wave is before it breaks not after. Getting in now allows them to take advantage of what WWC generates in Canada instead of coming it after as the WUSA did.

16. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    The dominoes are starting to fall. The NWSL will be branching off into two sub-leagues under one league governance (AWSC and NWSC, both under the NWSL).

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    AWSC (American Women's Soccer Conference)
    Maple Division: Toronto FC, WNY Flash, Ottawa Fury, Montreal Impact
    Broadway Division: NY Red Bulls, Sky Blue, Bos Breakers, Connecticut Blast, Philly Flavor
    Cascadia Division: Portland Thorns, Seattle Reign, Vancouver Whitecaps, Victoria Garden
    Pacific Division: LA Surf, Bay Area Breeze, San Diego Fleet, Real Salt Lake

NWSC (National Women's Soccer Conference)
    Coastal Division: DC Spirit, Carolina Craze, Atlanta Beat, Jacksonville Storm, Miami Tropics
    Alamo Division: *OKC Twist, Dallas Comso, Houston Orbit, Mexico City FC
    Heartland Division: Chicago Red Stars, FC Indiana, Columbus Posse, Detroit Engine
    Central Division: FCKC, St. Louis Gateway, **Twin City FC, Colorado Rapids, Omaha Special

*OKC Twist = Oklahoma City Twist
    **Twin City FC is located in Minneapolis/St. Paul (Minnesota)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Both conferences would be within the NWSL.
    The winner of each conference (from the postseason conference playoffs), will face each other in the NWSL Ultimate Championship Series (best out of 3).

Teams win trophies for: division titles, conference titles, ultimate league title

For example, the Portland Thorns can win the Cascadia Division trophy, the AWSC conference trophy, and the NWSL ultimate championship (cup trophy).

THIS IS THE FUTURE OF NWSL

17. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I wonder if the WWC would/will have any impact on attendance in Toronto, since there won't be any games played there?

18. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    It certainly will if Canada wins the 2015 WWC.

19. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Which of course makes no sense as it is the nicest pitch in Canada. But yes,if ur organizing this thing u arent assuming no one from Toronto will be traveling to WWC games just because their city arent hosting them.

20. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
  21. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Vancouver Whitecaps Women FC is the most logical and realistic addition. I don't see NWSL pushing their expansion hard, or at least I think that would be a mistake. Vancouver and an additional US city likely hold firm at 10 and that's the future of the next 2-3 years.

Edmonton Women FC is an tempting option to help balance geography but I don't consider totally viable, and see it behind the likes of: Ottawa Fury, Toronto Lynx, Montreal Impact Women FC-or-Quebec City Arsenal.

22. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Grabbing Vancouver and Victoria, and putting them in the Cascadia division with Seattle and Portland would do wonders for this league. I'm not sure about the geography of Edmonton. They may be too far away to be in the Cascadia division.

Three California franchises and Real Salt Lake can form another West division.

You can have a Texas division, by adding two Texas teams (Dallas, Houston), as well as Mexico City. You can then include either Oklahoma City, Memphis, and/or FCKC in that division.

A Southeast division can emerge with the expansion of Atlanta, Carolina, and one or two Florida franchises included. Washington DC is only a few hours away from Carolina, so they can be in that division too.

A Midwest or Central division can be formed, with the inclusion of FC Indiana and a Columbus or St. Louis team. They would join Chicago and possibly FCKC or Colorado.

Three Canadian franchises (Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa) could form a division with WNY.

Another northeast division can emerge with Boston, Sky Blue, Connecticut, and the NY Red Bulls.
    Philadelphia can also join in if they want.

Realistically, we will see 4 or 5 Canadian franchises at most, but it could happen.

23. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    NY
    Chicago
    Sky Blue
    Boston
    Toronto
    6. Montreal/Quebec City/Ottawa

Seattle
    Portland
    LA
    Vancouver
    Salt Lake
    6. Bay Area/San Diego

Kansas City
    Washington
    Dallas
    Memphis
    Carolina
    6. Mexico City

Pretty much works except for pinching Washington into the south, but even that's not bad. Would balance with a Central Division which you'd put Chicago or Washington in, though I'm not sure we'll ever see 19+. But we can dream.