Canada's Quest For 2016 Men's Soccer Olympics [R]

Discussion in 'Canada' started by EvanJ, Sep 28, 2015.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    13 out of 20 on Canadian based MLS/NASL clubs. Fruit is starting to bear.

3. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Yes, each of these events is another data point on the progression of NT soccer. Hopefully this one will continue the slow but generally upward curve we are seeing.

4. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wanted to say I really liked what Canada did last game against the US. I thought the 3-4-3 was a really smart strategy, as we saw with how much difficultly the US had moving the ball. Yall defended as a team and while got busted on some counters, I hope to see yall continue the press down the line. I really do expect Canada to get out of the group and think they have the ability to do so.

Polygong repped this.
  5. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Lots of u23 aged players who aren't in the Olympic squad named to the senior team for the friendly against Ghana on Oct 13. Very strange.

6. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Floro seems to still be following the path of trying out all sorts of different players and combinations. He's clearly not using this friendly as a prep game for the team he intends to take into the next round of World Cup qualifying. Given that, why not use it to evaluate some young guys who are on his radar but didn't get the call to the Olympic team?

Speaking of which, we have our destiny in our own hands tonight against Cuba after a solid win over Panama.

7. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    And we are through to the semis after a 2-2 draw with Cuba.

A nice showing so far in the tournament for TFC Academy players and former players.

8. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada will play USA in the third place game on Tuesday October 13 at 7:00 P.M. Eastern. The loser will not qualify for the Olympics and the winner will play Colombia in Rio de Janeiro in March 2016 with the winner qualifying.

9. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We're the underdog for sure in this match, but to a lesser extent than we would be at the senior level, I believe.

10. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA 2:0 Canada

Canada didn't qualify for the Olympics.