Canada Won't Cap Possible Defectors

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Kannegiesser, Apr 21, 2011.

1. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley
    Begovic choose the better option? Really? Bosnia suspended by FIFA, Begovic not even being called to sit on the bench.

Yep, sounds like a great choice.

That being said, with Borjan and Hirsch it is not guarantee Begovic is Canada's #1. Hirsch has more experience, and Borjan has been superb with Canada and his club side, Rad.

2. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    kahkakew, is that you?

3. Nehiyaw redder

Nehiyaw redder Red Card

Apr 27, 2011
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The issue with Bosnia will be resolved and he will be playing Internationals sooner than later..I am certain it is far more applealing to play in Euro qualifying matches and friendlies in europe than Canada vs Martinque at GC, or CONCACAF WC qualifiers. He made a good decision for himself by choosing his country of origin. The same arguement can be made about players who nationalize as landed immigrants with countries such as Germany, Sweden, etc....outside of France I dont see other national associations discriminating against players due to dual citizenship..maybe Bunbury was right...at least he will see alot more action internationally at GC, WC qualifiers and probobly WC and maybe the Federations cup. In most cases where players have dual citizenship they play for the country that has a weaker team as they are not selected to the stronger national team. Begovic fits this scenario, most canucks with dual citizenship fit the latter. Hargreaves did it and he was not condemmed. Bunbury was...why?

4. Nehiyaw redder

Nehiyaw redder Red Card

Apr 27, 2011
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    True he may not have been a starter here but no other keeper is or has played at the same level as him...so chances would be he stood a pretty good chance of getting significant playing time, if not the starters role for the nats..I think it has to do more with his cultural identity and connection, history of the game in his country of origin and percentage of success there vs here to play much higher quality opponnents, in bigger venues and notable tourneys...NCC vs Euro or UEFA WC qualifiers..its a no brainer

5. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Are you honestly suggesting that there aren't a large number of Canadian soccer supporters who might kill Owen Hargreaves on sight?

6. Nehiyaw redder

Nehiyaw redder Red Card

Apr 27, 2011
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I doubt anyone would even say anything to him..he is a millionaire, played in WC, euro cup, fifa club championships, world tours, TFC would be lucky to see him suit up..maybe when his knee is completely shot he could start for them, but no...most people are not stupid enought to assault him over such a stupid issue. His ancestry is from the UK..he like Begovic made a good decision that has obviously greatly benefitted him.

7. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Where do you get your information on soccer in Canada?

8. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    I see your question was conveniently ignored, where's the sock patrol? :)

9. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I know, right?

Shortly I imagine we'll be hearing "white man" this, and "no such thing as Canadians" that...

what a toolbox.

10. Nehiyaw redder

Nehiyaw redder Red Card

Apr 27, 2011
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So where is the evidence about ppl like yourself threatening Hargreaves with violence..heard he was just back in Cowtown again and no incidents were reported or alleged to have occurred...show me some proof ? He played for Wales before he agreed to play for england...only an idiot would pick Canada over these two countries...so if that is worth threatening over, you or your cohorts need help..

11. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    FIFA ranking: Canada 75 Wales 115

I thought socks were instant bannings? Mods?

Mod Note: It's all been taken care of. B

1 person likes this.
  12. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley
    Wales ranked 115, Canada ranked 75. Wales>Canada.

Yes, I am Canadian. No, I don't think we'd beat Wales in a match. No, I would not choose Wales over Canada if given the choice.

13. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    I don't know about that. On first thought I might tend to agree (because of history) but having seen how well we have played against higher ranked opponents lately and if Greece is deserving of their #12 (and we played fairly even with them) being better than Wales is within reason.

14. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley
    We could beat Wales on our day...but I'd not bet on it. That being said, I will contradict myself....I think Honduras is better than Wales, and I think we can beat Honduras! (though I'd not bet on that either).

15. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    This is one of my theories, about perception being everything. We think of those Central American countries as minnows with a few players abroad and most playing domestically and yet we get our ass handed to us.

Then again a team like England can have tons of stars and yet not win anything and Wales can have a Gareth Bale and be ranked 115.

I can remember a time when Canada's highest club profile player was Paul Fenwick. He played at the most high profile club (Hibs?) at that time, of any Canadian, but was he our best player, far from it.

We cannot rate teams because of past history or star players (Wales) or economic paucity (Costa Rica, Honduras, Guatemala) we have to rate them by empirical evidence (what we see) at this point in time.

People's perception of Canada (as a soccer competitor) isn't very good, but if we keep getting results like those of late, it will change.

16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL What? The reaction towards Bunbury has been much more muted from Canadian fans than towards Hargraeves.

17. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    What the hell are you blathering about?

18. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sadly, neither Wales, Spurs or Real Madrid are going to have Bale for some time. Hopefully his injury is less serious than feared.

19. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley
    It looked brutal. Not sure it's worse than Ben Arfa or Valencia's injuries this year though - or even Morales. BUT, significant, and hopefully he is back by July and able to hit the ground running in August for Spurs.

20. barnabyjonez

barnabyjonez Member

May 28, 2011
    The Valley, Saba
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Hargreaves started for a major European nation in the World Cup. Hargreaves played in the best leagues in the world. The loss of Hargreaves was massive to Canada. Bunbury? He plays for the "Sporting KC" in a decent, but not great league. He will play against the likes of Grenada and Bermuda in WC qualifiers not Mexico or Honduras. Yeah, we would of liked to have him, but it isn't a major loss.

21. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley
    ^Agreed - but Bunbury likely in our GC squad if available for Canada....

22. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was responding to some guy nehiyaw raider or somebody earlier who was saying something, hell I don't remember, it was almost a month again.

Anyway, obviously Bunbury isn't in Hargreaves class, I don't that was ever up for debate.

23. LyotoM

LyotoM Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Bunbury would make 2018 qualifying alot easier. With Hargreaves we still would not have made it.

24. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley
    Although not necessarily guys that would have defected but in the GC Canada did cap:

Borgault, Borjan, Ricketts, and Pacheco.