Canada vs New Zealand 2018-03-24

Discussion in 'Canada' started by tm13, Mar 24, 2018.

1. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Well that was very uninspiring and unimpressive. So much for playing modern soccer (position, possession, passing). Nope just back to business as usual.

The CSA fire OZ because he wanted to change things drastically and bring in Herdman who will work within the existing system (I.E. He is easy to control). We have had such great results for almost 2 decades so no need to change the way we do things. I mean we haven't even made the HEX much less the world cup, haven't been to the finals of the Gold Cup but hey no crazy talk about making big changes.

I am now much less hopeful about our future prospects. Even when FIFA goes to 48 teams for the World Cup I doubt we will make it. We are not progressing and the CSA is 100% to blame.

PS. What is Colin Miller doing in Canada's coaching staff? He brings nothing but the old attitudes of "get stuck in", "work rate" and "play tough".

2. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Uh....

We beat New Zealand 1-0, without Cavalinni, Hoillett, Hutchinson, Davies and Arfield.

Liam Millar proved that he can start at such a young age for Canada. If anything, we got even deeper up front.

Osorio and Kaye showed massive signs of improvements. Wotherspoon is a huge catch for us at midfield.

3. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    It's too soon to start making judgements on the program. Ask again at this time next year and we'll have more of a body of work to review.

4. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Agreed, it's a friendly without our full A-squad. Hardly representative of how things will be going forward.

5. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    I know you are all correct but I can't shake this "I've seen this before" feeling. Here's hoping :)

6. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't think we played poorly at all. I think it was a decent performance given the gust that they were dealing with. It obviously didn't have the same intensity as an open door match but that's to be expected.

Millar showed well in his first cap. Will be interesting to see if Herdman ever puts him, Davies and Edwards on the pitch at the same time as they all like to attack down the left side.

7. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I'm happy we've apparently reached a place where people are criticizing the national team not for losing but for not winning in a sufficiently attractive and domination fashion.

Polygong repped this.