News: Canada Votes 2019 (THROW EM UNDER THE BUS)

Discussion in 'Elections' started by DoyleG, Aug 5, 2015.

1. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Canada isn't a republic.

Q*bert Jones III and crazypete13 repped this.
  2. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Thanks Obama.

3. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    14-2 for KC in the 9th.

Yup, Trudeau has cursed us.

American Brummie repped this.
  4. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In our global meltdown in 2008 Canada rode it out pretty good, I do not think Harper was a total flop.

5. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Was that due to structural, policy issues or was it the deft hand of a leader?

Canada didn't have the predatory lending practices that were rampant in the US. If I'm not mistaken, they also don't allow the credit default swaps. (But I could be totally wrong about that.) So banks didn't have the toxic assets, hence they couldn't pawn them off to others via default swaps, AND they couldn't take insurance policies out on these shenanigans like US banks did, AND the couldn't place bets that the toxic assets would falter.

The initial shock of a banking collapse was far less for Canada. I'm assuming that what was more difficult was the global collapse in the energy markets, but that quickly recovered at breakneck speed.

Obviously, I am not an economist and I am not an expert by any means, so please feel free to correct me.

6. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Pretty much nailed it - if Harper can take credit for weathering the Great Recession, he should really thank Paul Martin and even Mike Wilson for the jobs they did as finance ministers from the late eighties onwards.

Canadian banks and the financial sector only lost where they were exposed to US subprime shenanigans, and any folks who lost whatever stock market losses that followed.

If anything the recent decline in oil prices showed the soft underbelly of the Canadian economy, which you could blame on Harper for not diversifying the economy more (and most PMs before him) for not having greater manufacturing sector depth. Either way, his focus was on trade deals and service sector jobs back home wasn't horrible - just par for the course since Mulroney did the FTA in 88.

7. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Congrats. A lot has to happen for the institution that is Der Spiegel to come up with a tabloid-like headline like "the possibly coolest cabinet of the world".

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bump, well it is 2019 and as far as I can see in the news, there may be no real winner.

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/ot...e-most-uncertain-federal-election-in-decades/

No electoral college, but they do have first past the post like in the UK, so it could end up with the liberals losing the popular vote (plurality) but wining the most seats.

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, can any Canadian here explain to me how "Base" seats work? or how the Seats are allocated in Canada, I know that all provinces have a minimum of 1, but it seems that there are other type of allocations

10. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's a fustercluck.
    I think it's a minority Liberal government, where they'll have to work with the NDP to get stuff done. Ideally that'd be the outcome today. The Liberals don't deserve another majority, but the Conservatives haven't shown much to deserve forming government either. The Conservatives could win the most seats, but if the Conservatives don't win an outright majority I think the Liberals will form a coalition with the New Democrats to form government that way. The path to government runs through Ontario, and that's still holding strong for the Liberals off the back of a unpopular Conservative provincial government there. Trudeau has spent a lot of time painting Scheer and Doug Ford as tied at the hip with a certain degree of effectiveness.

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it looks like non of the recent polling picks any party to win the 170 seats needed.

1186380082929111041 is not a valid tweet id

12. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems that Trudeau has won. Not confirmed yet if the Liberals have won a majority or if it will be a minority government. in any case, it is a better option than the Conservatives.

13. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Minority. Proportional representation is badly needed though. It's ridiculous that the Conservatives win the popular vote and have less seats. It's also ridiculous that the Greens aren't an official party while the Bloc are, or that the NDP have less seats than the Bloc.

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean this time the first past the post/electoral college benefits the liberal side.

15. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In the case of proportional representation, I think the Liberals would've formed a coalition with the NDP. So I don't think Scheer would've been Prime Minister very long anyways. But yes, the Conservatives deserved more seats.

16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    MatthausSammer and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  17. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a hoot! :D

18. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Trudeau looked at the numbers and that electoral reform would have impacted him very negatively. The Bloc would have no problems supporting that view.

There's gonna be no electoral reform in Canada.

19. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Oh, Canada, we would call that a micro aggression. Maybe a little passive aggressive? Hardly nasty.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #71 Dr. Wankler, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    Did Trudeau say "soary," or did he just cut in withoot apologizing?

21. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm not sure if the American standard of doing politics is the right way to go where everything is always turned up to 11.

22. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    America is the California of the world. All bad trends start here.

Smurfquake repped this.
  23. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, at least he didn't call his opponent an "evil, reptilian kitten eater from another planet" like one of the Tories did a few years back.

24. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Cut straight in at about the 30 second mark.

Dr. Wankler repped this.