Canada versus US Friendly Feb 5, 2016 (R)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Kingston, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    The roster for this game is out and it looks like a "let's see a bunch of young players" rather than a "let's put our best team forward to practice for WCQ games" type of setup. Understandable since the game is not on a FIFA date (I think). It does make it difficult to make predictions, but what does everyone think?

I'm going to be optimistic and say we get a draw because I don't expect the US to fielding it's A team either.

2. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Honestly, so much up in the air I don't think it's even worth trying to pick a winner in this one.

3. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    I don't expect to see both sides best, especially with WCQ games coming the following month. Win or lose doesn't really matter, but I'll say 3-1 for the US.

4. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Friendlies still affect rankings, so there's something to play for, but more so for Canada than the Americans.

The US is certainly favoured, but I think that 3-1 US is a bit extreme.

5. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I agree about the rankings. The US is a tough nut for us but we need to start moving up the rankings in order to obtain more favourable seeds in future tournaments. For example, if we want good seeding for the 2022 WCQ, we actually need to start moving now.

6. OlympiquedeMarseille

Apr 18, 2012
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Watch the game with other fans at these locations:
    [​IMG]

Polygong repped this.
  7. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's another lost but that's fine... Was hoping to see more of the youngsters playing tonight. Bekker I do hope gets a lot pt with Impact. He has the vision but is lacking a lot form to hit those passes. Akindele is not a mid because he can't hit a decent cross and he didn't do it all game. Frustrating with the lack of venom when attacking but we got be patient and hope Canada can go to WC 2018....

8. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Remember though, that Akindele and all of the other MLS/NASLers were out of shape. The U.S. camp ran longer than ours and their team seemed to have more cohesion. On our side, Vitoria, Crepeau, and Dixon all got their first caps while Lefevre and Froese got their second.

It's no coincidence though that we had no attacking tactics. We're probably going to need to park the bus for 90 minutes in Mexico City against a team that will be more in shape than us. That's why Floro scheduled the U.S.

We'll see if it works in March.

9. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yes I know they aren't in top form but does not mean you can not at least hit a decent cross.
    Seems like Arfield will be part of the Canadian team by March if everything goes well.

I am hoping to see many of the Canadian players getting many minutes before those two big WCQ games. Floro has got to find a good RB because Henry is not the answer.

What do you guys think of Hutch and Johnsson at CDM role with Bekker in AM role with Hoillet and Arfield on the flanks? I think it could work well if all players get in top form...

10. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Although Henry is primarily a CB, he's played RB a few times for that Nats and he fared rather well I think.

11. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Although we definitely have to play solid defense for the Mexico matches, I think a complete behind the ball game is suicide. As solid as our defense can be, the Mexicans will penetrate and penetrate it often. We need to make them aware that a dangerous attack from us could emerge if they leave things too open.

12. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    From what I saw, Canada played well in sticking to their system against a superior opponent. It was unfortunate we weren't able to hold on for the last few minutes and get a draw but the result reflects the fact that the US had almost all the reasonable scoring chances.

Good marks for playing our system well (especially without some of our key players) but this system isn't going to win us games because it gives us almost no scoring opportunities. It is basically playing for a 0-0 draw.

13. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's been suggested that Bekker's one skill (taking set pieces) is the reason why he's here. Personally, I don't get it and I would not call him him, much less start him. I've heard good things about Arfield but I question whether it's a good idea to throw him right into the fire against Mexico. Now you might say that we sort of did that with Hoilett but I would counter that but pointing out

1) Ghana, Honduras and El Salvador aren't as good as Mexico
    2) his pace is something we sorely lack

I'd rather put JDG out there because of his experience and his defensive game.

I'm hoping that Aird does well in Vancouver so that he can push Henry.

InsigneForBalonD'or repped this.