Canada to play in Germany next year

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Canadian_Supporter, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    http://waymoresports.thestar.com/NA...137871627&call_pagepath=Columnists/Columnists

"Canada will meet three-time World Cup champion Germany in an exhibition match sometime before the Gold Cup tournament to be played in the United States next July.

National coach Holger Osieck has received a commitment from the Germans for the match, which will take place as soon as the European powerhouse can find a suitable date."

Okay, it is not 100% confirmed, but the Germans said they will find a suitable time and place (in Germany) to play the Canadian team. Holger also wants to play two more friendlies, on top of the two against Libya and Estonia.

2. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Yay, another game in which only rich Canadians can attend.

3. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Um, I wasn't rich (far from it), but since I am under 26 I still qualify for discounts. That is the only reason I attended the match in Edinburgh. Perhaps the game against Germany might be played in Edmonton in May? I know the CSA was trying to set up a home friendly in May.

4. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

In my book anyone that can afford to travel across the ocean to attend a single soccer match is rich, regardless of actual income.

However I do acknowledge that its is tremendously cheaper for you easteners to travel to Europe.

Perhaps I should move out east. Bet your water isn't yellow as it is here in Vancouver!

5. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I suppose you are correct, I just had the good fortune of being in Europe (three months in the Czech Republic) at the time of the Scotland match.

Our water isn't yellow here, but it does smell like chemicals in the spring and fall (not all of the time). I think it has some thing to do with the farms in my area of Ontario.

6. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Oddly enough in Vancouver we are having a drought! Our watersheds are getting low hence the yellow colour of the water. We are told the water is safe to drink however it looks rancid and reeks of chlorine. Cheap bastard that I am I actually had to go out and buy bottled water today.

Hope you drank plenty of that liquid gold known as Pilsner Urquell when you were in the Czech Republic.

7. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I never thought I would hear of Vancouver having a drought. People say not to drink the tap water in the Czech Republic and beer is only a little more expensive then bottle water. Thus, you can geuss hhow I solved that little problem... haha

8. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Damn, I wish it were the same here!

9. hobbes

hobbes Member

Jul 26, 1999
    regina, saskatchewan
    Well I'm not rich either. I'm not impoverished, but the trip to England/Scotland is probably my only true vacation for the next couple of years. Mind you I have a full time job and am now out of debt.

It was something we were discussing on the trip — why more people don't travel. Obviously cost is a factor, but if the Voyageurs Cup donations were any indication — some of us seem to be making a decent living.

I was hoping if we play in Edmonton we could get a decent crowd from across the country. It's not the most ideal location, but it's still fairly central. Any game on the prairies I can get to very cheaply. I have a free place to stay and can drive or hitch a ride with someone else going up.

Krammer> is there a chance you could make it to Edmonton or is that even pushing it? I understand just not having the money. Until I was in my last year of university that I was able to make a trip to Edmonton.

I definitely won't be going overseas again until Germany 06, I would like to make a few WCQ roadtrips, but since every home game is a roadtrip I can't see getting enough time off to do it.

cheers,
    hobbes

10. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Well I could catch a bus to Edmonton if there was a game there. Of course if someone else in Vancouver was going to travel it would be better.

However I may be moving from here in the future (actually whether the Whitecaps survive has a bearing on whether I stay here or not-hows that for being a soccer fan?) so even that could change.

11. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Any news on the Whitecaps? I thought I read that the USL wants the A-League schedule out by Nov 7th, which seems rather early. We all know how the USL can't stick to a date.

12. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

No news, and as far as I'm concerned no news is bad news. There is no talk whatsoever of the Whitecaps or the deadline in local news at all.

Seems like no one cares.

13. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Last year, when the Impact got rescued, there was a date and no talk, and it turned out ok.

So no news ain't necessarilly bad luck.

14. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Latest news, as of today, is that concession sales at Swangard stadium is becoming a sore point. All three potential owners want a cut of the profits from concessions, and the City of Burnaby, as they always do, want it all.

In regards to the Montreal situation last year, there is no previous owner in Vancouver willing to step up again, nor will government help, so the situation is a lot bleaker here.

15. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    To get to Ireland I usually go via Toronto... and that's not cheap. + it almost doubles the travel time.