Alert: Canada Needs New Soccer Coach

Discussion in 'Canada' started by rohan_ricketts_rox, Dec 29, 2008.

1. rohan_ricketts_rox

rohan_ricketts_rox New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Look it has already been said!!!!! Team Canada soccer is really currupt up here and the CSA is doing nothing to help it. Every time it seem's like the CSA is doing something then something happens and BOOM! the CSA get in the way and Canada loses there footing. I never really understood why Dale Mitchell was promoted in the first place and he hasn't done much for the national program so i think its time we put in a poll to see wether to keep Dale, Or i have some new coaching idea's (maybe) :D And or you can select the other.

2. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We need more than a new coach. We need a whole new football association.

But, to keep on topic, I'm not sure who should be coach, but I would seek out someone with experience coaching a national team, especially a successful one (by that I don't necessarily mean a big team, just one that has done well during said coach's tenure compared to how it normally does).

BTW, DeVos was a defender, not a goalie.

3. rohan_ricketts_rox

Sep 18, 2008
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well ya.... We do need a new football association but maybe a new coach would be a start. My bad i was pretty sure De Vos was a goalie :p

4. Gagnons

Gagnons New Member

Oct 9, 2004
    Well I'd go for some who has some decent experience, I'd look abroad as well.

5. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    If you're going to look in the existing pool I'd suggest Stephen Hart. That said, it's a big world out there.

6. SoccerNewf

SoccerNewf Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Pasadena, NL
    We need someone with experience from abroad. Time to put some real backing into our national program.

7. rohan_ricketts_rox

Sep 18, 2008
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    i agree :):)

8. maestri09

maestri09 Member+

Jun 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I know I've said this before, but Canada's best hope would be to get an American coach/manager for these reasons:

1) the language, obviously
    2) is not Eurocentric. Sorry, but Canada is not England/Scotland (as much as some Canadian fans would like to believe), and their way of thinking about the game--and about the young players coming up--is different from Europe. The game in Canada is not developed enough to make good use of a European. and so...
    3) understands the apathetic culture of soccer in North America
    4) like in America, would understand the he'd have to make something out of virtually no resources or support
    5) should understand a little bit more about CONCACAF teams, players, styles
    6) being from another country, is not bogged down about Canada's futility in the international scene. On the contrary, he would have seen all of America's NT divisions make world cups with relative ease.

I think Moe Johnston would seem to fit most of these criteria, although why would he leave such a golden goose as is TFC...

Another thing: the CSA is not corrupt. why? because the CSA has no power, influence, or gets any attention from the general public or their sporting peers (I would think even figure skating is higher up on the "power ladder" than soccer or the CSA). Why would any unscrupulous person, looking for power, come to the CSA? That's a joke!

9. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    You just killed any credibility you had going in the first part of your post.

10. maestri09

maestri09 Member+

Jun 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I did say, "most". Also, he's been involved in North American soccer for years. Sure, he's scottish, but I feel he has more than enough experience in this part of the world, and in CONCACAF, and MLS, that would offset any Eurocentrism.

I would think anyways...

11. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't think looking to America is the right path. There's no such thing as the "North American" situation. First of course, soccer is hugely popular in many parts of North America, which includes more than Canada/U.S.

Second, the situation for soccer between Canada and the US is very different.

Soccer is quite a bit more popular in Canada that it is south of the border, I've been down there at World Cup time, and you'd never know the WC is going on (despite that their team is often there), whereas in Canada, flags are everywhere and pubs are packed. The difference is that there is very little interest in our own national team due to its lack of success. The US team has much success but still gets little attention.

Nonetheless, the sport is very well funded in the US and very poorly funded here, something a coach would have to contend with.

I'm not against having a US coach, if the right person comes along and happens to be American then I'd support the choice, I just don't think that an American coach has any specific advantage for us.

I do agree though that our coach needs to be familiar with CONCACAF style football.

12. toepunt

toepunt Member

Aug 24, 2003
    North America
    The choice is final. Carolina Morace is the new coach for Canada. Now we are talking!

13. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So I'm going to have to be the one to point out that Jason De Vos wasn't a keeper?

OK then. Jason De Vos wasn't a keeper, he was a Central Defender.

14. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Also, apparently Jose Pekerman (former Argentian NT and U-20 Coach) has said in a Spanish-language interview that not only would he have taken the Canadian job, he actually contacted the CSA and asked for it. But the CSA wasn't ready to pay him what he was asking.

15. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You should have at least got to post number two before feeling the need to point that out :p

16. Clonester

Clonester New Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We need an experienced, aggressive coach who can stand up to the CSA. Though that may get him cut loose quickly.

17. rockymtn.mike

rockymtn.mike Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Lochbuie, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bermuda
    Paul Mariner would be a good hire.

18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm not one who generally believes that nationality is an important factor in choosing a coach, but I like the idea of having a Latin American coach seeing as our major rivals are Latin American, and have had our number on far too many occasions.

20. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

The press release.
    http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-...-lead-the-men-s-national-team-program-p160654

interesting
    "Zambrano will travel to Scotland this week ahead of Canada’s Men’s International Friendly on 22 March. He will assume coaching duties in Qatar at the U-23 tournament where Canada will face both Uzbekistan (25 March) and host Qatar (28 March).

Zambrano’s first home match as Men’s National Team Head Coach will be 13 June in Montréal when Canada faces Curaçao as part of both nations’ preparations for the 2017 CONCACAF Gold Cup. "

21. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Can't complain yet. Seems to be as decent a coach as the CSA could get. I like how he talked about getting the Canadian players out of their inferiority complex regarding other CONCACAF teams.

Ger90 repped this.
  22. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  23. TorontoFC_SouthendElite

Toronto FC
    Canada
    May 28, 2017
    southern Ontario
    first its canadian national team...not team canada(what kind of bimbo name is that?) the issue is not the manager( not coach) another bimbo description..has to be canadian :{ the problem is very poor players, ones that are not good enough for the national team, which itself would have a hard time winning a game in mls or any other league because of the poor quality...the acadamies of the 3 mls teams will help but your talking years. i sad prior to world cup 2010 that canadas best chance of going back to the world cup was 2022..at the current day i would not say our best chance of qualifying is either 2026 or 2030...its not going to happen any time soon.

24. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    All viewpoints are welcome, but using insults like "bimbo" are not. Please keep the discussion productive.