Canada in World Cup 2022 Qualifying (Format Announced) [R]

Discussion in 'Canada' started by EvanJ, Jul 10, 2019.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's what Robert Borden posted:

It would be really useful for Canada to move up to the top six in Concacaf in the FIFA Rankings, and it makes Nations League games against USA more important. Canada is 28 FIFA Ranking points behind El Salvador, who is sixth in Concacaf, and the new formula makes the rankings move slowly. El Salvador has by far the best FIFA Ranking in their Nations League group. They're 69th, Dominican Republic is 154th, St. Lucia is 172nd, and Montserrat is 197th. Canada should also root for Trinidad and Tobago to win their group with Honduras, and for Mexico to win their group with Panama, and preferably Panama dropping points against Bermuda. Jamaica is fourth in Concacaf in the FIFA Rankings, and like El Salvador they have by far the best FIFA Ranking in their Nations League group. It's not realistic for Canada to pass Mexico, USA, or Costa Rica within a year.

@Polygong

Can you sticky this?

2. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Wow. If I'm understanding this correctly, I really don't like this format.

The top six teams based on FIFA ranking are the only ones that get a shot at the three automatic qualifying spots and everyone else has to fight for a chance to get into an inter-confederational battle? That seems waaay too generous to the top six teams. I mean, I get some preference for high ranking but team but team six really deserves that much of an edge over team seven?

3. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We did some math in the Voyageurs...(tried too)

Canada must reach the finals of the Nation League to get the points and hit the higher multipliers to almost guarantee finishing in the top 6.

Getting out of the group with the US & Cuba is vital to give us a chance. Anything less than that and we miss 2022 guaranteed spots and have to fight in the hunger games.

Such BS

4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 EvanJ, Dec 5, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(CONCACAF) has the schedule. You will play:

Host Bermuda on March 25
    At Cayman Islands on March 28
    At Aruba on June 5
    Host Suriname on June 8
    If you win the group to reach Round 2:
    At Haiti, Nicaragua, Belize, Saint Lucia, or Turks and Caicos Islands on June 12
    Host the second leg on June 15 (you would play away-home-away-home in 11 days)

Teams won't have time to prepare in between rounds. The Octagonal will have three games in September 2021, three in October 2021, two in November 2021, three in January 2022, and three in March 2022.

If anybody wants to predict World Cup Qualifying for every game in Concacaf, go to https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/c...up-2022-prediction-contest-round-1-r.2110827/ for my prediction contest. Score predictions for each round must be made before the round starts. This is the fourth World Cup I've done a prediction contest for.

@Polygong

Can you sticky this and unsticky the three topics Men's National Team in 2019-2020, 2019-2020 CONCACAF Nations League, and Canada at Gold Cup 2019?

5. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    With Herdman implying that the squad will be split in 2 as it's doubtful we get the best players for both competitions (WCQ and Gold Cup)

This is what we might see

upload_2020-12-7_15-44-53.png

6. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I could quibble with a couple of the selections or list choices but something like that seems reasonable.

On one hand, I'm delighted that we can put together a full, two team list and could still have discussions about other players who should be considered. That was not our situation ten years ago.

On the other hand, while understanding why, I'm sad to see a split squad. I think that Gold Cup team will have a rough go.

7. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #7 Robert Borden, Dec 7, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    The WCQ will be top Euro league heavy as they will be in mid-season form with the 1st game being in March. Best to stick with those guys who already knows Herdman's system.

Also, asking Lille and Bayern to release David and Davies for both windows is a tough ask which is understandable as they aren't going to be thrilled to risk seeing them injured. I also think that other squads in the region will likely do the same.

The Gold Cup team should be an opportunity to integrate guys in the National team makeup and see what they got and how they perform in important competitions

This would be my best XIs

WCQ
    4-4-2 (box)

-------------Davies----David

Arfield-------------------------------Osorio

---------Hutchinson-------Eustaquio

Adekugbe----Vitoria-----James-----Laryea

------------------------Borjan

Gold Cup

--------Corbeanu----Buchanan

Paton-------------------------------Bustos
    ---------Baldissimo-------Fraser

Bassong----Didic-----Zator-----Johnston

-----------------------Crepeau

8. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    That will be the wild card in this Gold Cup. If a bunch of countries really rotate their squads it will be interesting.

Or maybe slot Davies in at left back (I hear he plays there occasionally :) ) which lets us bring in another true striker up front.

9. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Against weaker nations sure but stronger teams... Davies is more efficient for us up front.

We've never won a game with Davies at LB against a top CONCACAF Nation but when we defeated the US, he was a LW

10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steven Goff
    @SoccerInsider

17m
    Canada announces the first World Cup men's qualifier March 25 vs Bermuda will be played in Orlando behind closed doors. They also have away qualifiers against Cayman Islands on March 28 and Aruba June 5 and a home game against Suriname on June 8.

11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://resources.fifa.com/image/up...-times-march.pdf?cloudid=mcugukgsbs6hx8haxoaw has Concacaf's start times for March. On Thursday March 25, you will play Bermuda at Exploria Stadium in Orlando at 8:00 P.M. On Sunday March 28 you will play Cayman Islands in one of two games that has site to be determined. At least 17 of 30 games will be at neutral sites, which are mostly two stadiums in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic and three stadiums in Florida. Here are the other three games in your group:

Wednesday March 24 at 6:00 P.M. Suriname vs. Cayman Islands
    Saturday March 27 at 8:00 P.M. Aruba vs. Suriname at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida
    Tuesday March 30 at 6:30 P.M. Bermuda vs. Aruba

12. legendofzola

legendofzola Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Cape Breton
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Hey Guys - any word on the team selection?

13. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://canadasoccer.com/ doesn't have anything about WCQs, and the schedule doesn't even have the March 28 game against Cayman Islands. Since my last post, the site and time were announced as IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida, which is 122 miles away from your first game. March 28 is a Sunday, and your game will be the first game of the day at 2:30 P.M. The other five games that day will be 4:00 P.M., two at 5:00 P.M., one at 7:00 P.M., and one with site and time to be determined. There won't be any early games on Saturday March 27 as all will start at 6:00 P.M., 7:00 P.M., or 8:00 P.M.

legendofzola repped this.
  14. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oliver Platt
    @plattoli
    2h
    L'Equipe is reporting that Ligue 1 & 2 clubs will not release players for international duty outside of the European Union. If accurate, that means no Jonathan David for #CanMNT vs. Bermuda and the Cayman Islands. twitter.com/lequipe/status…

15. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are in the USA, you can go to https://www.paramountplus.com/home/ to subscribe that includes many shows and a lot of soccer. It has many Concacaf WCQs including both of Canada's this month.

16. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The roster came out for this WCQ window
    upload_2021-3-23_11-42-24.png

Attached Files:

17. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    ^ That roster should get us two wins. A few thoughts:

Not that it really matters but I'm slightly surprised to see St. Clair as the third keeper only because he is in off season form.

I was surprised not to see Osorio until I saw elsewhere that he is unavailable due to injury. I'm curious to see who fills his typical role in Herman's lineup.

I'm disappointed not to see Akinola's name on that list. It would have been a great chance to secure him even if we aren't hurting for strikers.

Overall, defense is our weakest point.

As a long time fan of the NT, however, I have to say that looking at that list makes me realize how far this team has come. Even with that list we have two presumptive starters (David and Osorio) not available. And then we could still have useful conversations about a bunch of other players who could have been picked instead. Remember the Holger Osieck days when we were lucky to have a natural player at each position and the roster basically picked itself?

18. legendofzola

legendofzola Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Cape Breton
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I remember Osieck...and many days before that. This is our deepest team ever and i am pleased St Clair there. Is Corbeanu capped?

19. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    No, this would be his first game for us.

20. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peacock Premium has games in Spanish. Paramount Plus has games in English.

https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/ten-seasoned-stars-who-deserve-a-world-cup is titled "Ten seasoned stars who deserve a World Cup." It says:

"Atiba Hutchinson
    Canada
    38 years old
    84 caps
    7 goals

Group B, First Round (Concacaf)
    Canada, Suriname, Bermuda, Cayman Islands, Aruba

Other key players
    Alphonso Davies (Bayern Munich), Jonathan David (Lille), Cyle Larin (Besiktas).

Hutchinson
    The man who made his international debut over 18 years ago insisted he was going to call it quits in 2019. However, his fine form for Besiktas, who lead the Turkish Super Lig, and the emergence of Canada’s finest generation of players of all time has seemingly got ‘The Octopus’ dreaming of Qatar.

The Canucks haven’t come close to reaching the World Cup since playing in it for the first time at Mexico 1986, but there’s never been more optimism within their squad."

22. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I saw you led 4-1, I wanted you to score again so I would be the only one in my prediction contest in the Concacaf forum who predicted the correct margin. When I saw you led 5-1, I was happy, and I watched the end rooting for neither team to score, which is what happened. The announcer said a goalkeeping error let Bermuda score. Yesterday in the group, Suriname beat Cayman Islands 3-0. The other team is Aruba, who plays their first game on Saturday that will be against Suriname. Concacaf has games on Saturday, Sunday, and Tuesday, with no games tomorrow or Monday.

24. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I would rate that as a good game, but not great.

We got the expected result and a win to start qualifying. That's good.

On the down side, we let in a goal and we had three missed chances to add the total. That's what prevents it from being great.