Canada at the Olympics

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Polygong, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Probably should have started this earlier, but now inspired after the CWNT's awesome win today.

Beckie sets the record for fastest goal in Olympic history and a stellar goal by Sinclair. Not only did they hold the lead after going down to 10, but actually building on it. Australia are good team who, going into this match anyway, could just as easily been the victor today.

Our women's team really does deserve much more attention than they get.

On to face Zimbabwe (who lost 6-1 vs Germany) on Saturday.

2. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    it was a very important 3 points....coming into this group it was widely accepted that everyone would beat Zimbabwe....and everyone would lose to Germany (2nd ranked team in world according to FIFA) so the result between #5 ranked Australia and #10 ranked Canada would go a long way in determining the outcome of the group.

3. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    My thoughts exactly. Unless Zimbabwe pulls an upset or someone upsets Germany we should secure second in the group.

4. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I wish the men could just go out and get results like this once in a while.

Here's to hoping we can upset Germany or, at least, finish second in the group.

5. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Another convincing win as the CWNT downs Zimbabwe 3-1. With Germany and Australia having a draw, we're holding first in the group right now, and have clinched a spot in the finals.

6. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I expect Herdman to play a lot of young players vs Germany but it might not be enough to lose the game. With Germany drawing Australia, they may decide that they're happy with second.

If we win the group, we will likely face France in the next round. If we come in second, we will face either China or Sweden.

7. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The CWNT keep doing us proud! 2-1 over Germany and a perfect record in the round robin!

8. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Victory again for the CWNT! 1-0 over France, leaving us to face Germany again who defeated China.

Sweden knocked out the top ranked USA (I guess the Yanks will have to count from the stands this time around), waiting on to see if they'll face Australia or Brazil.

9. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada lost to Germany. Then today it was Brazil 1:2 Canada, giving Canada a Bronze medal.

10. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This year's Bronze was a much bigger achievement than the one in 2012. Like many, I doubted that a transitional team was good enough to medal in the tournament. However, I was happy to be proven wrong as they beat a bunch of good teams along the way including Brazil who they never seemed flustered by, in spite of a hostile crowd.

Hats off to the ladies!