Canada at Gold Cup 2019

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Polygong, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We are in Group A:

15 Jun vs Martinque (Pasadena)
    19 Jun vs Mexico (Denver)
    23 Jun vs Cuba (Charlotte)

2. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Looking forward to it!

We get Cuba both here and in the Nations League.

3. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This could be a tough run for us. Martinique and Cuba are both better than one may think. By the same token, a result against Mexico is as much of a possibility.

At any rate, I think we're still the favourites to take second in the group.

4. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I agree with this; however, I choose to believe this is just my years-of-being-disappointed-by-the-NT self speaking and that we have turned that page. Actually beating these two teams like we should would (will!) be another marker of progress.

I posted this elsewhere, but I'm also disappointed to have once again drawn a non-FIFA squad which means we won't pick up FIFA ranking points with a win.

5. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Totally agree. 10 years ago this would have been a group of death for us. Now that we've transformed to a real attacking style we can feel much more confident, even against the power houses like Mexico.

6. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Canada 40 men provisional roster IMG_20190520_111326.jpg

7. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Canada Gold Cup roster

GK- Milan Borjan | SRB / FK Crvena zvezda (Red Star Belgrade)
    GK- Maxime Crépeau | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    GK- Jayson Leutwiler | ENG / Blackburn Rovers
    CB- Derek Cornelius | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    CB- Doneil Henry | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    CB- Kamal Miller | USA / Orlando City SC
    FB- Zachary Brault-Guillard | CAN / Impact de Montréal
    FB- Marcus Godinho | SCO / Heart of Midlothian FC
    FB- Ashtone Morgan | CAN / Toronto FC
    M- Scott Arfield | SCO / Glasgow Rangers FC
    M- Atiba Hutchinson | TUR / Beşiktaş JK
    M- Will Johnson | USA / Orlando City SC
    M- Mark-Anthony Kaye | USA / Los Angeles FC
    M- Noble Okello | CAN / Toronto FC
    M- Jonathan Osorio | CAN / Toronto FC
    M- Samuel Piette | CAN / Impact de Montréal
    M- Russell Teibert | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    F- Lucas Cavallini | MEX / Puebla FC
    F- Jonathan David | BEL / KAA Gent
    F- Cyle Larin | TUR / Beşiktaş JK
    W- Alphonso Davies | GER / FC Bayern München
    W- David Junior Hoilett | WAL / Cardiff City FC
    W- Liam Millar | ENG / Liverpool FC U-23

8. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    9 Players based in Canada, 13 total in North America.

nfitz repped this.
  9. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Some interesting choices here.

Herdman is clearly going young on defence. I'm not sure I'm ready for Henry and Morgan to be the mainstays of our back line but I guess we'll see.

Also interesting to see Okello get a call up in the midfield while guys like Tabla, Chapman, Fraser, and even Shome are left out. I guess it speaks to the depth we are developing in midfield that we can use a spot on a young guy like that and not need it for someone more experienced who is more likely to see actual playing time.

10. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Further to this, now that Noah Verhoeven (Pacific FC) has also been called up, it would be really neat to hear someone interview Herdman on how he makes his picks at the bottom of the roster. This is not a criticism of him taking Verhoeven (or Okello) but a legitimate question.

There are a bunch of obvious starters. There are a bunch of obvious backups who will get playing time over a tournament like the Gold Cup. I'm really curious how Herdman makes his picks for those last two or three spots for the guys who probably won't see playing time but are being given a chance to learn what international soccer is like.

11. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It probably has to do with elements of the player that we don't get to see from a fan's point of view with respect to a player's potential. For example who has the right attitude.

12. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    That, or maybe the CSA hierarchy (BCers Steve Reed and on-to-bigger-things Victor Montagliani) felt that they needed at least one born and bred BC player on the roster (just kidding!).

David really impressed with his cool finishing but there are a lot of question marks on the back line. The good news is that we might score two against Mexico; the bad news is that we might give up three. Based on that alone, it might be a fun game to watch.

13. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The highlights

14. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I was a bit concerned that Martinique would play spoiler for us as they've done before, but I guess that was all for nought.

Mexico is next, maybe we'll get a good indication of our progress in this match.

15. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I had the same thought. This game now makes five in a row, however, where we have played minnows and defeated them as expected. I think we have turned the page on dropping games we absolutely should have won. We can now move on to winning 50/50 games and challenging the big teams. It might just take us long time national team fans a bit longer to get used to that.

16. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So true. Cautios optimism is the Canadian way!

It is at the point where we can feel that getting a draw against Mexico is a possibility. At least we can feel that we will make a good game of it, and get them on their heels a few times. I like to think that regardless of the score the Mexicans will go walking off the pitch saying that we're not the pushovers we once were.

17. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I'm trying to shed the cautious part but we've been burned by NT expectations many times before.

Especially since Mexico hasn't sent its best possible squad. We are certainly not in Mexico's class yet but I think we are now good enough that they have to be careful or we will reach up and surprise them.

18. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's worth noting that Jamaica managed a scoreless draw with them in 2017 as did Guatemala in 2015.

T&T took them to a 4-4 in 2015 as well.

19. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    And T and T famously beat the US to prevent the Americans from qualifying for the last World Cup. The second tier of teams can reach up and surprise the big teams on a given day even though they can't stay with them over a longer run. We are now in that second tier of teams. I hope we eventually become the third big team in CONCACAF.

20. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  21. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Not the surprise result we all hoped for. Mexico were clearly the better team.

The thing I saw that is different than the past, however, is that, despite Mexico being the better team, we played much more with them. This was not all Mexico in Canada's end outshooting us 35-1. It was actually only 6-4 in shots on target.

Looking at Mexico's goals, one came from a defensive error, one was an amazing shot, and one was a deflection. Good on Mexico for scoring but it wasn't like they were simply walking the ball into the net.

So definitely some positives to take from this game.

Now we need to go get it done against Cuba and then see how far we can push it in the knock out rounds.

Robert Borden repped this.
  22. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    How fitting that our goal against Mexico be scored by Cavallini.

If we go on the assumption that Mexico beats Martinique (a pretty fair assumption) then we're as good as through, there's no likely result against Cuba that would get us knocked out.

23. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Just looked through the Mexican forums thread on this match, they had a a lot of positive and respectful things to say about us, nice to see.

Robert Borden repped this.
  24. waltlantz

waltlantz Member

Jul 6, 2010
    So are a majority of the Voyageurs in France or what?

25. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    There were many reasons to be optimistic about the result. If our guys could've been half as composed as the Mexicans were on the ball, we would've scored more than one.

What was disappointing to see were the sour grapes from Zambrano this morning.

He still hasn't gotten over the fact he was fired. He needs to cling onto this idea that the program would be further along under him.