Canada at CONCACAF Gold Cup 2015

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Polygong, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #1 Polygong, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
    This post will be updated as the tournament progresses. I will add starting times later.

Canada's Matches

Date
    RoundOpponentVenueResult
    8 JuL 2015GR BEl SalvadorCarson, CA, USA D 0-0
    11 Jul 2015GR BJamaicaHouston, TX, USA L 1-0
    14 Jul 2015GR BCosta RicaToronto, Ont. D 0-0

Group B Table

TEAM
    GPPWDLGFGAGD
    Jamaica3721042+2
    Costa Rica33030330
    El Salvador3201021-1
    Canada3202101-1

Squad

Pos
    NameClub
    GKLars HirschfeldVålerenga, NOR
    GKKenny StamatopoulosAIK SWE
    GKQuillan RobertsToronto FC CAN
    DFAndré HainaultUnattached
    DFNikolas LedgerwoodEnergie Cottbus GER
    DFMarcel de JongSporting Kansas City USA
    DFDavid EdgarBirmingham City ENG
    DFAdam StraithFredrikstad NOR
    DFDejan JakovićShimizu S-Pulse JPN
    DFAshtone MorganToronto FC CAN
    DFKarl OuimetteNew York Red Bulls USA
    MFJulian de GuzmanOttawa Fury FC CAN
    MFPedro PachecoSanta Clara POR
    MFKyle BekkerFC Dallas USA
    MFSamuel PietteDeportivo La Coruña B ESP
    MFRussell TeibertVancouver Whitecaps FC CAN
    MFJonathan OsorioToronto FC CAN
    MFMaxim TissotMontreal Impact CAN
    FWSimeon JacksonUnattached
    FWTosaint RickettsHapoel Haifa ISR
    FWMarcus HaberCrewe Alexandra ENG
    FWCyle LarinOrlando City USA
    FWTesho AkindeleFC Dallas USA

2. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    With the Gold Cup only a few weeks away, thought it was time to start a thread.

All discussion on this thread should relate to Canada at the Gold Cup. To discuss other teams or the tournament in general please take it to the appropriate forum.

3. Jcc21

Jcc21 Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Probably a good enough squad to get some good results and suprise some teams but missing players like Hutchinson, will Johnson, and Henry could have helped a lot.

4. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I can understand Henry's absence, probably avoiding reinjury. He's facing a huge opportunity club wise right now and re-injuring himself could kill that for him.

As for Hutch and Johnson, no idea why they're not included.

10 of 23 from MLS, 6 from Canadian base clubs (5 MLS, 1 NASL)

5. Michael Salgado

Jun 29, 2014
    Club:
    FC Porto
    What are some realistic expectations for Canada?

6. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Given the competition in our group, I think it's reasonable to expect a 2nd or 3rd place finish, and decent chance to make it to the semis.

7. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Tournament comes in right time to see where this team is. Great opponents, great competition in group, great chance to see new players in more serious games than those two against Dominica. Can't wait to see Akindele and Larin against tougher opposition.

I expect four points in first two games and first-place game against CRC at home, seems like most desired scenario.

Polygong repped this.
  8. SaintNdaCity

SaintNdaCity Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA fan here -- just wishing you all the best in the Gold Cup. Seriously, a good Canadian team in CONCACAF is a plus for the USA. please get out of the group! If you can get 2nd in the group, you would draw the 2nd from Group C
    Looking at your roster on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_CONCACAF_Gold_Cup_squads#.C2.A0Canada -- looks like a very young team, especially when you take out the two goalies (Stamatopolus and Hirschfeld) the average age well under 26-27.

What kind of squad is this team? Is it a speedy team? Bunker and counter? Possession? Technical?

9. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Thanks for the well wishes, and good luck to the USA as well.

Hard to day what kind of squad we have, many of the players are relatively new to the national side, I think they're still finding their feet to some degree. From what I've seen since Floro took over is that they play a primarily possession style game. We're not a slow team, but I wouldn't call us speedy either.

Really, this tournament will be the first real glimpse of what the Floro era is really all about.

artielange84 repped this.
  10. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I'd echo Polygong. After the disaster of the last WCQ, our new coach has spent the past two years trying out all sorts of young players and different playing combinations. This testing has been placed well above winning matches. Many times we went into games with youngsters on the pitch while players who are better but too old to be around long didn't get invited. This is the first time in a while we're putting our best foot forward (and even that's still jus starting to gel). We'll know much more after this tournament.

Polygong repped this.
  11. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'd actually rather finish second in our group than first. First place will likely come up against Panama or Honduras, second place is likely to face Trinidad or Cuba.

Third place, assuming we go through, would likely mean the US or Mexico. No thanks!

12. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Defensively organized group of role players. I think Floro has built a club mentality within the side, notably by his previous regular inclusion of guys without clubs (like Straith before signing in Norway) to meet the defensive mindset and understanding he wants. The team will be a "tough out" for an opponent, especially when in an underdog role but I sense might struggle against a bunkering team who plays off the counter. The Costa Rica in Toronto match will be a really good test of that.

They will get out of the group (on form, at the least they should be a third place qualifier) and then once we hit the QFs anything can happen. Canada usually does better in this tourney when we come in under the radar with younger, hungry players trying to prove themselves (2000 winners, 2002 third place, though both these results we were aided by winning a coin toss and lot draw, respectively; 2007 semi finalists) and this is that kind of situation. However, by the nature of this team we could just as easily be out of it by dropping points in three closely played first round matches, but I doubt that will happen.

One key player to watch as he develops is Cyle Larin. He looks to be the business up top with Orlando and I wonder how he'll do in this tourney. The next thing to see is who and how we'll generate open play service to him.

Without Borjan (of whom I had my doubts but has won me over), I wonder how the goalkeeping will go.

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I am bored so I am roaming around different forums talking about the Gold Cup and landed here.

I think it all comes down to how you guys do against Jamaica in Houston.
    Playing El Salvador in California is going to be very tough for Canada to get points. Costa Rica is a very good team and I kinda see a draw in that one (not to say you can't win, just a gut feeling.)

If Canada beats Jamaica then Canada may even be inspired to win in Toronto and win the Group. If you Lose or draw it may be an uphill battle too difficult to overcome.

Let's see what happens. It would not surprise me to see any one of these teams finish first or last. Such an even Group.

14. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    With Canada, you never know what you're going to get. In the previous two tourneys we sh*t the bed and couldn't even get a third place qualifier. We're overdue but if we can generate some timely scoring we'll get through.

15. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think that Costa Rica is a huge step ahead of the other three, but other than that you're right, Canada/Jamaica/El Salvador is pretty even.

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Costa Rica without a significant crowd advantage and with a new coach evens things out in my mind.

17. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Really? Costa Rica is the best team in CONCACAF right now. Would you feel the same way about playing Mexico or the US under the same circumstances?

I think us getting any points from Costa Rica would have to be viewed as a bonus.

artielange84 repped this.
  18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #18 HomietheClown, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    I am just going by my observations.
    Their manager Pinto set them up to succeed and had the tactical acumen to know what to do when the going got tough. Their new manager has not been tested and really has not been put in a pressure situation. And changing tactics a bit always has a transition period.

Also, Historically El Salvador has always been tough for them to defeat. Especially when the crowd has many people wearing Blue in the stands making it a hostile environment.

I like what I have seen from Jamaica and I like their manager. I think Canada can also show signs of life. And they have home field in Toronto against Costa Rica.
    So based on all that I think the Group is even. Until I see otherwise I will continue to believe it.

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    And just like the Jamaica get's a draw and proves me right.
    This Group is about as even a you can get in a Continental tournament.

Costa Rica is going to have some trouble advancing let alone getting first now.

20. SaintNdaCity

SaintNdaCity Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Gog...
    Canada needs a playmaker big time.
    HT 0-0 Canada - El Salvador... Larin had an OPEN net... and hit it towards the sky.
    How ES didn't score in the last two minutes is incomprehensible. Horrible defense by the 49th parallel. Canada has such a chance to win this game... and with Jamaica/Costa Rica earning a draw... the door is wide open.

21. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Just got back from practice its F'ing HOT! Good luck Canada!

Polygong repped this.
  22. Jcc21

Jcc21 Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I haven't been following canadian soccer much in the past few years but I can already tell most of the problems start with the coaching. From the formation, tactics, approach, to the timing of the subs, Benito Floro had no idea what he was doing.

23. SaintNdaCity

SaintNdaCity Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada missed their chance. 3 points were there for the taking... and they took one.

24. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    A couple of odd choices last night (Bekker starts over Osorio?) but overall he's been quite a good coach.

Plus, if Larin hits the open net, there's a whole lot less trouble to discuss.

25. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Grand opportunities get missed, happens a lot, to the best of teams and players.

Last night's result is disappointing, but at least enough to ensure that whatever result we have against Jamaica, the game against Costa Rica at BMO will mean something.