Can we get positive?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by anotherfan, Jan 9, 2020.

1. anotherfan

anotherfan Member

DC United
    United States
    Jul 21, 2018
    There is SO much negative on this site. Yeah, OK, DC United has not been doing great for years, but give it a break now and then.

I was at RFK stadium in 1996. I saw the great times and the other times. And the other times. And the other times......

Isn’t there anything to be pumped up about?

Magikfute, Q*bert Jones III and dadman repped this.
  2. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't been particularly negative, and I'm happy about re-signing Hamid, and cautiously optimistic about the Flores, but if you're going to start a thread to focus on the positive that suggests to me that you see things to be pumped up about.

So maybe you could begin. What are you excited about with DCU?

Alejandro 10, dadman, sitruc and 5 others repped this.
  3. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been a while since someone in the front office has tried to start a thread :)

I'm positive I am going to enjoy my meeting this afternoon to pick out Loudoun United season tickets.

Atouk, tallguy, Alejandro 10 and 7 others repped this.
  4. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No reason for hope as long as Olsen is running the show.

JRHokie and ejs1111 repped this.
  5. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

FYP

6. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I fixed your fix

Q*bert Jones III, dadman, sitruc and 7 others repped this.
  7. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    The team was mediocre last year, a number of starters won't be back, and we don't know who the replacements will be. And preseason is about to start. What is there to be optimistic about?

nick and Winoman repped this.
  8. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    It is kind of interesting that someone who was at RFK in 1996 just joined this obsolete message board in 2018. :cautious:

JRHokie, Alejandro 10, dadman and 2 others repped this.
  9. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Looking forward to seeing three young Forwards - Yow, Sorga, and Fawole - develop and eventually find consistent playing time

Looking forward to continued development of two young Defenders - Odoi-Astem and Pines - into rotating starters

Looking forward to Arriola finally being able to score on the easy goals as well as he does on the difficult ones.

Looking forward to Canouse staying back at Right Defender.

bigredfutbol, dadman, Hedbal and 2 others repped this.
  10. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    If you actually believe that all three of Fawole, Yow and Sorga will "find consistent playing time" which I assume is with DCU, you are beyond optimistic. Sorga reminds me of the other prospect types like Bruno Miranda, Gladiador, etc. that have come through here. Maybe he will be different, but his goal scoring prowess was demonstrated in a league that might be on a USL League One level - maybe. Remember DCU had the USL all time leading scorer on its roster two years ago and they guy never made the field. As for Yow, he's still very, very, very young. The last time DCU got substantial minutes from someone like that was Andy Najar almost a decade ago. Fawole is probably a nice kid. I doubt he will be offered a contract out of training camp.

As for O-A and Pines, there is more hope and promise. If O-A can remain healthy he should be in the mix. Pines showed real potential last year and with Brillant re-signed, DCU actually has 3 capable CBs on the roster.

As for Canouse, first, he wants to return to Germany, second he doesn't want to play RB -- at least that is what I picked up from his answer on a PitchPass podcast.

What this means is that going into the season, DCU still has no established backup to Kamara at forward. The RB situation is up in the air with both O-A and Fisher returning from injury and Canouse not wanting to be there (and maybe not wanting to be at DCU at all). So Pines is the only sort of "sure thing" to be optimistic about.

As for Arriola, he's one of my favorite players (and my wife's favorite player because they are both from the San Diego area), but at his age he probably never will be a clinical finisher. Of course if he was, he would be playing somewhere in Europe.

sitruc, TimB4Last and Winoman repped this.
  11. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I stand corrected

dadman and griffin1108 repped this.
  12. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm optimistic that with the right leadership DCU could be a monster franchise like we were when I was also attending games in 1996-2004. This area has a great soccer footprint and has proven that it will show up for high quality soccer. That's the thing, you can't try to fool this area like the current leadership has. With the right vision we could regularly fill a 30K venue.

GumbyG, Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  13. ElApacheTevez

ElApacheTevez Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm excited to see Edison "Orejas" Flores on our team. I've only seen him play a few times for the Peruvian national team, and never on Morelia except in recent highlights, but all my Peruvian friends say he's a great player and a good guy. Hoping he can take over the 10 and be a leader for us, but we'll see if he is more of a winger that can drift in like Arriola. Fingers crossed we bring in a few more guys near his caliber before and during the season.

14. anotherfan

anotherfan Member

DC United
    United States
    Jul 21, 2018
    THAT is what I am hoping for as well!

I had an account on this forum years ago, but I stopped checking in when the combination of poor results and lousy condition of RFK stadium was so depressing. I rejoined (with a new handle as I had lost the info for the old one) after attending a few games at the new stadium.

A great stadium....can we get an OK team fielded? I am hoping that will be the case.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  15. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am positive I'd like another drink.

MattR, Alejandro 10, dadman and 5 others repped this.
  16. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those of you that have gone to Loudon, can you speak about the experience - in stadium and/or libations near the stadium? I'm right across the river in Poolesville and its so much easier getting to the stadium vs. Audi field. Especially if beer consumption occurs.

Winoman repped this.
  17. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've only been once so far (to a game, twice to stadium) but there is decent beer there for sale inside, in fact they had two good team-branded beers by local brewers, and the supporters did their tailgates inside pre-game last year (I have no interest in that, they were supposed to have been given a spot outside but that didn't seem to happen).
    We drank in the parking lot and no-one seemed bothered by it, though we weren't overly obvious. I will ask the ticket rep tonight what their "official" and "unofficial" policies are toward drinking in the lots.

You'd come pretty close to at least two breweries coming off the ferry (tho I think they're both the wrong way) and depending on which way you navigate yourself, other places/bars to drink ...... but there's nothing at all right near-by.

bigredfutbol, Winoman and yabo repped this.
  18. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me know if you head to a game this next year. Looks like I could cut thru Leesburg before hitting the stadium.

19. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm getting season tickets, going tonight to decide exactly where - so, IOW, I'll be there :) Home opener is on my birthday weekend - May 6.

dadman, Winoman and yabo repped this.
  20. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Giving up on AF and your spot in Lot H/I?

fatbastard and Gittnbizzee repped this.
  21. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    To clarify, I think that ONE of those three (just based on the odds) could and should see consistent playing time by mid-season NEXT year. But I am looking forward to seeing how that develops.

You're right, Yow is too young and (from what I've seen with DC United and Youth Natl team) needs to grow and add the kind of muscle Fawole already seems to have at 2-3 yrs older. And Sorga (coming from a pretty small pond) might be as high as a 50-50 crap shoot. But ONE of those should pan out.

22. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I make it out beers on me.

23. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    This is a place for realism. There are blogs out there for sunshine pumping.

PSURoss repped this.
  24. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what, Shammy negative!! I can't believe that!!!

25. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I was optimistic this thread would go negative, I guess I win.:)

Atouk, song219, fatbastard and 6 others repped this.