Can we enjoy this now?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by WrmBrnr, Jul 11, 2010.

1. WrmBrnr

WrmBrnr Member+

Apr 12, 2001
    San Carlos
    Is the hindsight anger done enough now that we can enjoy this?

My favorite USMNT moment, by Andres Cantor:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__vpoPMOKfg&feature=related>

Can someone help me insert a direct link? Thanks.

My computer skills=fail.

2. nealesk

nealesk Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Santa Fe, NM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    even better

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4-FnlssDaA&feature=related"]YouTube- Landon Donovan Goal vs Algeria Reaction[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  3. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wow. Cantor's call sent chills down my spine, and I didn't even understand most of what he said. Why can't we have an American announcer with that much passion?

Here's the goal call embedded:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__vpoPMOKfg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__vpoPMOKfg[/ame]

4. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I don't care what anyone says, Andres Cantor still does the GOL call better than anyone else.

5. WrmBrnr

WrmBrnr Member+

Apr 12, 2001
    San Carlos
    Thanks!

6. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's disappointing that this team didn't go further? Yes, absolutely, but if you can't have a WC championship the next thing on the list of what you want your team to accomplish in a WC is to provide great memories and the Slovenia and Algeria match were unreal, the Ghana match was pretty good too; I'd say the match we all anticipated the most, U.S/England was probably the dry-turkey match.

7. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your wrong. The disappointing thing of this World Cup comes in three parts.
    First, how the US ended there campaign.
    The second is Mr. Martin Tyler. Remember all of those commercials ESPN had where they were hyping how could Mr. Tyler would be. For me, he was the best announcer for the EPL and Fifa games. I loved watching Sky Sports games and having him announce stuff like this.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2XUqzBC41o&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2XUqzBC41o&feature=related[/ame]
    Instead, he announced like an old man who hadn't gotten enough money from ESPN, not even getting excited for the first goal in the World Cup.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILRCeAyg1Lw&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILRCeAyg1Lw&feature=related[/ame]
    What the hell is this "Oh Goodness" Krap. No wonder ESPN had him stop broadcasting US games after the England game, and replaced him with the much better announcer. I don't know who his name is, but he announced all the US games after the England game.
    The third most disappointing thing is really not that big of a deal, but for every other country, it is. The US was the only country not to broadcast all of there home countries games on national tv. They broadcasted the England and Ghana game on ABC, but they left the Algeria and Slovenia game on ESPN. Is Good Morning America and soap operas more important than US World Cup games. That truly disappointed me. Same with all of the other World Cup games. They couldn't broadcast one a day on ABC. Poor decision on the Disney Entertainment department.
    But whenever its the US vs. Mexico, I usually watch those games on the Spanish channels anyways. You have to remember that he is an American Citizen, Andres Escobar, so he should be proud for his team.

8. omnione

omnione Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^^About #3 as I agree with #1 and #2, I consider ESPN to be "national TV" even if it's not a national broadcast channel. People who don't have ESPN and still have either the rabbit ears or most basic cable packages probably aren't interested in sports and/or television anyway.

9. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, the crux of your issue with being able to enjoy this World Cup hinges on the broadcasting?
    Are you sh!tting me?
    Where do you people come from? (referring to the posters on here who b!tch on and on about broadcasting)
    You come off to me as short sighted and a total simpleton.
    I guess some folks need to be handed their entertainment on a platter like applesauce to some half-deceased senior citizen at one of those old folks homes.
    I feel sorry for you, I really do.

10. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    1. agree
    2. loved martin tyler. they didn't stop having him broacast. espn has a rotation of games and tyler did the final, clearly they didn't stop him from announcing games. But tyler has his own style. he's understated and wills scream if it's screamer of a shot even a screamer of a miss. i'm ok with him. Not to mention i heard him on an interview and he said he never made it to his notes. in that game he was spouting knowledge about games and coaches from 1974 or referencing 13 year old champions league games off the top of his head. That's knowlege and experience you can't get when you do like they did last cup and try and shoe horn dave obrien in there. no offense to dave obrien but it's hard to gather a global knowledge of say 50 years of a sport. but i think all in all espn, even the american guys like Bob Ley, did better then i'd expect. I'd love to have seen more analysis of the U.S. team early on. of what sides bradley should pick, formations, techniques, approach, tactics but hey i'll take what i can get. i'm old enough to remember when they games weren't shown at all.
    3. yeah good morning american is more important. sorry. that's america. but if wants the games i say, buy cable for one month. it's an extra 30 bucks if that to get extended basic with espn and espn2. Hell i spent well more then that on beer for the U.S. England game alone. And though espn got great numbers the other non U.S nations don't warrant an abc broadcast over some other shows especially if you consider that for like two weeks straight you'd have to have no morning news programming. Not gonna happen. if a person doesn't have access to cable that person should move out of the sticks. ESPN get's an A from me. In America, given how most news on the sport has to come from the internet or podcasts, or FSC, i'm pretty happy with all we got. It's been way way worse.

one thing i like about Cantor and even univision is since, i think, univision is based in the U.S., and most of their sports viewers fundamentally love the game they cover the U.S. too and i've heard him get excited at U.S. goals too.

11. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    Ian Darke, and I also thought he was fantastic. I understand that Martin Tyler is a legend in broadcasting, and perhaps he had a bad draw of games, but I honestly thought that he was the least-memorable of the play-by-play guys. We're familiar with Adrian Headley (sp) and Derrek Rae, and they were solid. Darke I was not familiar with, but I thought he was fantastic.

He was an American citizen? So the own goal in 1994 was deliberate?

12. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, my bad, I didn't mean to write Andres Escobar, I meant to write Andres Cantor.

But I wasn't able to hear the announcers after the US's last game against Ghana because I wasn't in America.
    But I am not saying that the World Cup was ruined by the broadcasting, I think those are 3 things they could improve.