Can Man Utd Win The Title in Jose Mourinho’s First Season?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Sportlad, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Sportlad

Sportlad Member

Jul 12, 2016
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  2. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will win the league.

3. Effington

Effington Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    In my opinion, this year is a little more unpredictable than previous years (although last year was also a big shock). No doubt Leicester will struggle with the demands of Champion's League. We'll see how Chelsea is with a new coach and fresh start. I think Man U has a chance if they can get Pogba and he fits in well. But if the special one hates Mata as much as he used to, that could hurt the team because it does Mata to play Mata.

4. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Mourinho is couple first seasons coach, will achieve success but run players to ground in process.

5. KennyDalglish

KennyDalglish Member

Feb 2, 2007
    I think Manchester United has a genuine chance provided Mourinho gets to drop Rooney. Problem is rooney has a 100 mill Euro contract through 2019- he is the most expensive player in the club, not sure how Mourinho will be able to drop him as the only way Rooney can be sold is if he has enough game time. Upper management will not want Rooney to sit on the bench doing nothing, upper management knows he cant be sold for a good price if he doesnt start enough games. The only win-win situation is to start Rooney and hope he plays well. Problem is what will happen is Rooney will be started and he will be average at best. He will end up scoring a few goals here and there which will further his cause to not be dropped (along with upper management pressure). Van Gaal was determined to not play Rooney when he started and guess what happened. Mourinho did try to drop a main player in Real Madrid with Casillas but Casillas did end up outlasting Mourinho there. Mourinho will be wary of that.

Anyway, so why the obsession with Rooney. Well, we know mourinho teams will be solid at the back. It is going to be a matter of how solid will the team be at the front. And Rooney will end up taking space upfront. And he has been pretty bad at it for quite some time.

giles varley repped this.
  6. Robertoe

Robertoe Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Didn't realise just how well he had done in his first season's with clubs. It is understandable why clubs will always go for him....he's as sure-fire bet as there is for immediate success.

7. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If it happens I think it will be more to do with the likes of Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea not have a great season that a particularly strong United.

peterhrt repped this.
  8. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Mourinho with his inseperable neuropsychologist Rui Faria is a manager who is able to achieve phenomenal success in his first or second season, and then burns his squad to the ground. Sometimes with lasting damage. Van Gaal has some glaring flaws (hence his disagreements with other countrymen - also because he's placed many disciples within the FA) but was usually someone who needed time to make it work, if it would eventually click.

Aided by the Mendes connections Man United has made some great signings now and it appears they have a more balanced squad as in previous years. 110 million for Pogba borders on the obscene but it was the position/midfielder they needed, and why not picking a versatile and physical beast? Someone who has already played for you? Chances for dissapointment are minimized imho.

If no strange things happen it is between Man United, ManCity and Chelsea. All of Conte, Guardiola and Mourinho are bringing a lot of expertise and knowledge to the league.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...ntary-charts-manchester-city-managers-career/

AD78 repped this.
  9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Its pretty much just his second season where he achieves "phenomenal success".

I think Man City are the favorites. There are question-marks about that team as well, of course, but I think there are fewer things that can go wrong there.

Man Utd have probably risen to the same level as Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea with these 4 new signings.

10. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    It's okay if they don't win it because of how strong Man City looks like, but anything else other than a decent title challenge will be a huge disappointment imo.

Finishing 4th Van Gaal - style would be a big failure.

They spent about 300 - 350 Million € more over the past three years than either Arsenal or Spurs.
    That can't be their level.

11. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    I am more interested to see how Pogba would evolve under Mou.

12. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    That's sort of right.

At Porto his best year was his 2nd year.

At Chelsea (1st stint) his best year was his 1st year. 2nd year was not too far behind.

At Inter his best year was his 2nd year. The first year of Inter had worse results than they did under Mancini.

At Real Madrid it was his 2nd year.

2nd stint at Chelsea it was his 2nd year.

Guardiola has thus far been succesful in his 1st year at each of his clubs. Barca B team, Barcelona, Bayern. However I think his players reached generally a higher level after his 1st year.

It's possible to say ofc that Mourinho had somewhat harder jobs to do in building a team than Guardiola. Not saying that is definitely the case, but that is a possibility.

13. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I honestly have no idea who will win the league, all the big sides except Spurs (and even they have a young squad) look like they will improve over the window. Hopefully the Prem will have drama and quality this season rather than just drama.

14. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord